Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,895 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into Ottawa, Kansas. There's not much about it in the forums that I've read. Can anyone give me some information about the town? Are the people friendly? How "small" is it? Any info would be a help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Post Ottawa

Ottawa is a town of around 12,500 people and is the county seat of Franklin County. The town is located well to the southwest of the KC metro. Interstate 35 runs through the county so access to the KC metro is not bad but it would be a very long commute if your job is located downtown. The county has experienced an increase in population of about 7% over the last 6 years and non-farm employment has increased some as well. It is a small town that would have most things that you would need with the action and entertainment of the KC metro not being too far away.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
I think it is a good town. Never heard anything bad about it.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 PM

110 posts, read 609,044 times
Default Ottawa

I know a bit about Ottawa having lived there. As has been noted, it has a population of around 12,500. It is 23 miles or so to Lawrence and the University of Kansas, and about 40 miles to the Kansas City metro area. There is not much to do in Ottawa. It has one theater that shows two features, softball is big in the summer, and there are a few tennis courts. There is no upscale dining - only an Applebees and a couple run of the mill bar and grills and family type places to eat which are pretty mediocre. The local country club is (or was last time I was there) pretty disappointing. There is a Wal-Mart Super Center, a Wal-Mart distribution center,a low cost women's clothing store and a low end discount department store. Aside from a couple gift shops downtown, there is really nowhere to shop for nice items. And there are no bookstores - which drove us nuts. We drove to KC or Lawrence for everything but groceries - work also was out of town.

There are not many options for employment in the town, but in addition to the places I've mentioned, there is an American Eagle distribution center, a high school, middle school, and several elementary schools and a hospital. The college is Ottawa University. It's tiny (less than 400 students) and has lost a lot of students and faculty lately - read into that what you will.

On the up side, the cost of living is not too bad. You could get a nice house for somewhere in the $200,000 + range. Crime is not much of a problem. The schools are okay. Some people are friendly, but I'm not sure I would characterize the town as friendly. It really depends on where you go.

I would strongly suggest you spend some time in Ottawa before making a decision to move. Don't just drive through and see some of the pretty Victorian houses on Main Street. Go to the stores and shops and observe. It's not for me, but we're all different. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Last one out of Ottawa; please turn out the lights. lol Seems a little dull for those younger.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 20,792 times
Default Ottawa

I was born and raised in Ottawa, and it is a friendly town. I am not sure of the current population but seems somewhere about 10,000 possibly more.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 AM

116 posts, read 421,740 times
People in smaller towns in area go there to shop for food however most go to KC or Lawrence for everything else.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 19,216 times
I grew up in Ottawa and I really enjoyed it. Of course I don't know what it would be like moving there as a person 'new' to the area. My parents still live there but keep saying that 'Ottawa is getting too big' meaning that there are alot of commuters from KC choosing it over living in a KC suburb because of it's small town appeal. There are a few places to shop but as somebody said above most go to KC, Lawerence or even Topeka to shop or find specific items.

I found the people to be very friendly but of course there are people who act a fool anywhere you go. My family (having lived there for 20 years) can hardly go into Wal-Mart for milk without being stopped 2 or more times to say hello to people.

I think Ottawa is a great location for traveling to other places, it's right on I-35 which runs diagonally from KC to Wichita, US-59 runs from N to S and US-69 runs E to W. Most people I meet have either been to Ottawa or traveled by it so it's fairly recognizable as small towns go, at least to the places I've been.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelimes View Post
I grew up in Ottawa and I really enjoyed it. Of course I don't know what it would be like moving there as a person 'new' to the area. My parents still live there but keep saying that 'Ottawa is getting too big' meaning that there are alot of commuters from KC choosing it over living in a KC suburb because of it's small town appeal. There are a few places to shop but as somebody said above most go to KC, Lawerence or even Topeka to shop or find specific items.

I found the people to be very friendly but of course there are people who act a fool anywhere you go. My family (having lived there for 20 years) can hardly go into Wal-Mart for milk without being stopped 2 or more times to say hello to people.

I think Ottawa is a great location for traveling to other places, it's right on I-35 which runs diagonally from KC to Wichita, US-59 runs from N to S and US-69 runs E to W. Most people I meet have either been to Ottawa or traveled by it so it's fairly recognizable as small towns go, at least to the places I've been.
Not much to disagree with in this post except that it is K68 that runs east-west thru Ottawa, not US69.

My sister lived in Ottawa and raised her family there. Her biggest complaint was that there is a higher than normal percentage of retarded people (I don't know how else to put it) in Ottawa because there are a lot of group homes for those people there.

I always liked the town, especially the old Victorian houses. But unless you can find work there, it would be a long commute to anywhere else, with the exception of Lawrence.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,220 times
Default so many opportunities

for the right people. I've lived here all my life. Last year I attempted suicide. No matter how hard I try, I can't get out. Its a deep black pit to me.. my self-created prison. SRS tells me to get a job. How many true opportunities exist for underprivleged Ottawans? I get the feeling nobody really cares. I've seen someone from the local mental health center for 5 years. I've been put on medication. I've worked. I've saved. I've been a victim of crime. Yet.. I am still here. Doing the same thing over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas