Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 102,006 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Ft. Riley in the next few weeks and would like to know what the area is like. I've never been to Kansas and I want to keep an open mind but whenever I tell someone where we're going they usually make a face and tell me that i'm going to hate it and there's nothing there. I know that Kansas is mostly rural and I actually prefer that. I've checked out some of the websites from Junction City and Manhattan and it looks like a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 03:07 AM

188 posts, read 933,484 times
It is a nice area. I worked at Ft. Riley as a civilian for four years and lived in the area just north of Junction City off highway 77 and loved it. Only left because of job changes and a need to transfer. People there tended to be relatively courteous and friendly compared to here in Wichita where I am now. Whether you live on post or in the Junction City or Manhattan area, you should be OK. Milford Lake is a nice place to go campiing, too.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:30 AM

8 posts, read 102,006 times
Thanks for the info. That really makes me feel so much better about the move.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 18,918 times
Default I LIVE in Manhattan KS

I currently live in Manhattan KS because my husband it stationed at Fort Riley. To be honest, there really isnt much to do here. If you really look you can find a few things, but you actually have to LOOK. I've been here for a year. Meeting people really isn't that easy if you live off base. The college students tend not to like the Army people which sucks. Aggieville is fun at night if you like the whole college scence or during the day if you have money to go shopping. I also volunteer at Sunset Zoo here in town. It's a cute little zoo and I would definitely reccomend visiting it. It won't take an entire day though. I have been over to visit the buffalo a few times (yes we have a buffalo ranch by the airport!). If you have children you might have an easier time finding things to do, but as for now that's all there really is. I have been extremely bored here and have not met too many people which is disappointing. I wish you luck. Make friends and find a hobby.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 34,214 times
I'm going to be in Junction City for 5 days this week to check it out and look for work. I have a friend who is station at Ft Riley and me having 2 little kids he thinks Kansas is more ideal versus here in Phoenix. We are Black so I'm looking for diversity but I look forward to the adjustment.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 AM

8 posts, read 53,797 times
Manhattan is a great, classic college town full of energy and excitement year round. I lived there several years as a student at Kansas State, and I would move back in a second if I had an opportunity. The people are generally open-minded and free spirited, which is typical of any large university towns. K-State offers many cultural opportunities throughout the year, as well as exciting Big 12 athletics if you enjoy that. Aggieville is the nighlife scene and it offers as much as you offer it. If you want a meal and a beer, go for it. If you are young and want to party, this is one of the best places to do that as well. You'll find the town is relatively clean, and is completely covered by shade trees. I came into Manhattan from out-of-state and fell in love with the place. The people who say there is nothing to do are the same people who would complain regardless about any city. I promise you will fall in love with Manhattan.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 109,475 times
We fell in love with Junction City. Chilket1503 pretty much nailed Manhattan for you. If you are IN college then I am sure it is nirvana. If you are in the military then... well; it isn't. The best you can hope for is passively being ignored.

We love JC. Love the schools - 2 HS aged kids, the neighboorhood - across 77 that was mentioned earlier (Spring Valley Addition). Love it Love it Love it.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 17,975 times
My husband is in the Army and just got his orders stating we will relocate to Ft. Riley, KS by May 1st, 2009. We have a lab and no kids and need help finding a place to live, can you help us three?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 PM

71 posts, read 242,225 times
For housing, Check out: Manhattan Association of REALTORS (http://www.manhattanrealtors.net/default.asp?content=search&menu_id=5984 - broken link). It has housing around the region.

For things to do, click here for info from the Manhattan Convention and Visitor's Bureau: Manhattan Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 15,515 times
Post HELP!!! Moving Fort Riley

Pandora,
My husband is PCSing to Fort Riley...How has your 3 years at Fort Riley been. HELP!! Any suggestions for living, housing, job, schools? I have a 16 year old and a 14 year old. I want them to be in good schools and in a good area.
Any HELP or suggestions would be great!!
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas