Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,006 times

Advertisements

I live in the California Bay Area. I'm REALLY sick and tired of all this traffic, of housing prices that are out of reach, of city government's hands constantly in my pockets (you get a ticket for EVERYTHING here ... you literally have to pay to stop driving your car because there are parking meters and metermaids everywhere, jay walking tickets, cars towed because of street cleaning, constantly rising bridge tolls ... etc...)

I'm 52 and I don't have to have a lot of excitement. I want to grow a garden and spend the rest of my time reading, writing, and working on art and business projects. I've worked most of my life in the Social Service trenches so I've given more than my "pound of flesh" to others. Now I just want to chill. The idea of "quiet" makes me drool at the mouth.

I am African American, degreed, down-to-earth guy who was worked as a professional... so while I yearn to be a "Country Boy" ... I worry that I may not ... um ... "fit in" everywhere. I don't want to change anybody's reality ... I just want a small house on about 5 acres of land to live quietly.

I love to hear suggestions about a small town/rural area that this "fed up city boy" could live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 05:59 AM

3 posts, read 21,485 times
Thumbs up Run, don't walk!

Just read your posting and I strongly encourage you to get out of California as soon as you can!!!! I left Southern Calif. 5 years ago and will never move back- just going back for visits about sends me over the edge with the traffic, crime, prices, and people everywhere!! Kansas certainly has its share of weather- pretty mild winters in south-central Kansas, at least as the Midwest goes! The people are generally so very nice- totally opposite of CA! Things are not quite as progressive in many areas- and that's good and bad! I must say that many of the small towns are still primarily caucasian but they are slowly growing more open minded. Predjudices still exist in many people's minds, but many welcome new comers (of any color or age) with "open arms". The social service system in Kansas is suprisingly more "with it" than I expected coming from California's systems. Overall, Kansas is a great place to live! And California is quite near the bottom of my list of places that I don't want to live!! Ever again! Good luck to you and get that moving truck packed!!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Suggestions??

Thanks Purpleannie,

I "feel" you're so very right... down to the marrow of my bones. Now... can I ask you for a few suggestions about "good" small towns in that south/central Kansas areas to live in or near?

Remember, I'm not really seeking to move IN a town, but outside of town. A rural area. (Hmmm... ... I guess that will still be considered living IN a small town...) I dream of a place on the outskirts that I drive INTO town. Now, I don't need everyone to "embrace" me ... a cordial disregard would actually be wonderful... I just don't want to be met with EXTREME hatred and suspicion when I do go in for supplies.

Hmm... how is this sounding?? I'm friendly, but ... tired. When I'm in a friendly place, I feel normal and happy... but after living with all these California "Rats in a cage" ... I'd love to just be ... "be". I don't want to change anybody. I just want to plant a garden, do some writing... maybe work on some business plans ... and maybe whittle on one of them sticks. (((smile)))

See ya purpleannie! And thanks for the commentsand your kindness.

fred

Old 06-06-2006, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,718 times
Just a couple of ideas for you. One way is to search online for various small town info. Just get a town name from a map and do a Google search for townname, state abbr detailed profile. You'll get more data than you can handle, but it helps narrow your choices.
As for me, I had planned to move to Atwood, KS, but was forced to give up the idea. I subscribed to the local newspaper to help me get acquainted. I learned early on that Atwood is pretty lily-white, but don't have any clues about their collective attitudes. Can't help you much there, I'm afraid, although I suspect they'd tolerate you regardless of your skin color, but probably not invite you to tea. Atwood has its own website which is pretty informative just try "welcome to atwood, ks"
Good luck. Stev

Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Default Frederick, think Missouri...

Dear Frederick..HOW I IDENTIFY WITH YOU!!! I too had lived in the bay area, originally in San Francisco, then bought a house in Pittsburg on the delta and commuted into work to Oakland on BART, then got transfered to Las Vegas where I was until June of 05. I dreamt of living on acreage somewhere in the Midwest where I had access to a moderate sized city I could drive into for shopping , restaurants, entertainment, friends, good medical care, etc., but dreamt of my house on acreage with no one looking over my shoulder too. I had started researching over the past two years for an area that combined moderate weather, distance from major cities, distance from nuclear targets, low crime rates, cheap taxes, low cost of living, job opportunities, and cheap real estate with beautiful countryside. The area I narrowed down to was the Springfield, Missouri area. It's about 80 miles east of the southeast Kansas line. And about 50 miles or so north of the Arkansas state line, or about 40 miles north of Branson, Missouri. It's rolling topography, exceptionally beautiful countryside with intermittent open fields mixed with stands of deciduous forests (mostly Oak, Hickory, Cottonwoods, and lots of Cedars). East and southeast of Springfield the topography is very wooded and rough, which I don't like. The area around Springfield is gorgeous and more open, especially to the west and north. The city itself is about 160,000 with everything one needs and it's attractive, very Midwestern, and the people are very friendly. While it's overwhelmingly caucasian here (even the fast food places are staffed by all whites for the most part), it's EXTREMELY cosmopolitan and progressive. This is probably the third most liberal area in Missouri and one sees gay pride flags on flagpoles in neighborhoods as well as "I love Jesus" bumperstickers everywhere. I bought a very nice home on 4.3 acres about 8 miles north of town. Half of my property is forested, the back half, and the house is situated in the middle with a very long driveway to the farm road I live off of. Taxes are extremely low, people are extremely friendly and openly acknowledge you, yet respect your privacy too. I sunbathe nude out on my back deck and don't have to worry about being seen or offending anyone. The weather is generally pleasant. Winter was extremely cold only in December and February of this past winter, and while there were violent thunderstorms in March and April, it's been gorgeous the past month. My electricity bill runs about $28/month and I belong to an electric cooperative and have to call in my wattage used once a month on the 20th. It's based on the honor system and I have a booklet that shows me how much to pay based on my usage. Being a black man in this area is not an issue. It truly is a welcoming place. As for Kansas, I admit I don't know much about it, but their winters can be more severe than here as they get direct Alberta Clippers which usually get moderated before hitting the Ozarks where I am. Tornadoes are more prevalent in Kansas as well, and they tend to have long droughts and water problems. Here it's just the opposite. Whereever you go, I wish you luck. If I can help in any way, let me know. Also, if you get a wild hair, use this website to take a peek: link removed That's how I found my property too I wish you luck and the best!

Last edited by Marka; 06-08-2006 at 04:40 AM..

Old 06-07-2006, 11:18 PM

MoMark and Stev... THANK YOU.

MoMark... that was some very valuable information. I'm going to take a drive through there before the snow falls. Your home sounds really great. I've cut and pasted the information and will follow up. You're right, I never thought about Missouri. I am now.

Man, from San Francisco, to Pittsburg, to Las Vegas... I KNOW you're loving that land and peace!

Take care.

Last edited by veganwriter; 06-07-2006 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-08-2006, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 13,718 times
You're welcome. Sounds as if you've come across a more desirable location already, but for what it's worth. western Kansas is pretty much out of the "tornado alley", but I'm sure the winters are severe and the spring months windy. Also, something I neglected to mention, but which would be important: the underground water supply for that general area (it's called the Ogallala aquifer) has been overused and the water level is dropping. I don't know the technicalities of it all, but scattered communities are having difficulty with their water supply. The aquifer is huge and other areas haven't had trouble.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 87,514 times
I've been thru Kansas many times & I love it. Eastern Kansas is the most green & has more people, while Western Kansas is more open & less populated. The best area, in my opinion, is around Emporia, Kansas or somewhere in the Flint Hills region. I hope you find a place you like!

Joshua

Last edited by Joshua Allan; 06-09-2006 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-09-2006, 05:11 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Default Take that drive Frederick!

I flew to Springfield back in August of 2004 to see what this area was like in person and fell immediately in love with it. I knew only one couple here whom I'd met on the internet while doing my searching over the prior two years. The flights are rarely direct to Springfield from the West Coast, I flew from Las Vegas to Springfield via a stopover in Detroit, which I found irritating...but beggars can't be choosers! On the way back to Las Vegas, I had to stop over in Memphis for a length of time, and that flight back was long. Either way... it was worth it. I got to drive around and see everything I wanted to see, including farms and homes on acreage for sale during that weekend. Also, at that time of year, though it's humid and hot, the lightning bugs are out in full force (they're out now too), and the most beautiful sight is being out in the green countryside riding down a country road in the late evening as the sun goes down and seeing literally hundreds of green lights twitching on and off..the lights being the lightning bugs. It's enchanting actually. I'd only seen them once before when I was stationed long ago in Norfolk, VA. I highly recommend you come out here. There are plenty of cheap places to stay while looking around and the restaurants are good too Keep us informed of what you do!

Old 06-16-2006, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,313 times
Default SE Kansas the place to be

We moved to Cherryvale, Kansas about 5 years from Arizona because we wanted to leave behind the rat-race ourselves. Cherryvale has excellent weather, not many tornadoes, as we sit in a "hole". Bad weather of all kinds either goes over the top of us or below. You can check it out on the Weather Channel and see what I mean this summer. Homes are reasonable all over this immediate area and there are lots of people here from California already. Good luck in your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas