Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:05 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Good news indeed, and Kobach, if elected governor next year, would very unwise to implement changes to the present state tax structure.
100% agreement.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post

Also of note is the following NE thread: ~ NEW POST in the Nebraska City-Data Forums' sub-forum now at 30 replies!

Well, someone needed to, in my estimation. Have been back here @ City-Data forums for a week now and no new posts for Nebraska... for no less than 3 weeks since the last fresh one was posted. In this time since my return, for Kansas there are 3 new posts, 4 for South Dakota, 6 for Iowa, 8 for Wyoming, 6 for Missouri, and 18 for Colorado for crying out loud. They've got us surrounded. Circle Up!

Has something happened here in the background that anyone would care to make me aware of? Did people finally get that the big "N' on the University of Nebraska stands for 'Nowledge"? Are folks off boycotting one of our fine businesses like Runza or Cabellas? (if so then the news has escaped me so far) Weed legalized now? (that ain't gonna happen until teotwawki) Please, enlighten me!

Have had difficulties resurrecting my old account, the powers that be at CD being slower than steam off of cold biscuits in getting back with me over my pleas for assistance in getting "SandHills" back up and running. No word whatsoever back from them yet after my extensive love letter explaining my dilemma. May have to just let my 300+ posts with their 600+ reps go bye-bye. Ah well, It's All Good.

Anyhoo, am missing a few good folks who used to post here. Post away, this be your thread about whatever Nebraska you're wishing to kick around. Hey now... watch them pointy boots, Mr. Rancher, I'll show myself out, thank you very much.

& as for tax revenues & estimates:

Since the fiscal year began July 1, the state has collected just under $2.5 billion in various taxes, which is about $259 million more than it collected over the same period last year.

The majority of that increase is from individual income taxes, which are up nearly $177 million. But retail sales taxes, a revenue stream that lawmakers didn't alter this year, are up $41.6 million, or 4.4 percent over the same period last year.

I would suggest the legislature move to TAX all retirement income, incl. military & federal. I promise not to thereafter pay any attention to C-D KS' thread count & don my NARFE firesuit.
You really should learn how to use the quotes feature.

Not really sure why you're repasting some completely unrelated thread about another state into a discussion about KS bugets and taxes but well, I can't say this is anything new from you.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,611 times
Area leaders reach out to Payless, talking to keep jobs in Topeka | The Topeka Capital-Journal

Payless put up its corporate headquarters in Topeka for sale. Area leaders are going to try to offer incentives for them to stay.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:08 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Area leaders reach out to Payless, talking to keep jobs in Topeka | The Topeka Capital-Journal

Payless put up its corporate headquarters in Topeka for sale. Area leaders are going to try to offer incentives for them to stay.
I doubt they stay, they haven't been at all transparent with anything going on, I read an article a few months back that they owed their Taiwanese factories over $200 million. I don't believe their bankruptcy got rid of that debt... I'd say adios to Payless... I don't know where they will go, but I bet they are completely out of business within a few years.

EDIT: I was talking to the store manager at Burlingtons a few days ago and they are considering opening a location outside of the mall, possibly where K-Mart was. The mall is taking a bit of a beating right now, but it's still mostly full. They did just get a large new tenant of SkyZone which took the space of the old movie theatre, which I had no idea was still there behind some of the retail stores. Evidently they only converted the lobby space to retail and left the actual theatre rooms intact all of those years, kind of interesting. I grew up going to those theatres, but they closed them down at least a decade ago.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:40 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I doubt they stay, they haven't been at all transparent with anything going on, I read an article a few months back that they owed their Taiwanese factories over $200 million. I don't believe their bankruptcy got rid of that debt... I'd say adios to Payless... I don't know where they will go, but I bet they are completely out of business within a few years.

EDIT: I was talking to the store manager at Burlingtons a few days ago and they are considering opening a location outside of the mall, possibly where K-Mart was. The mall is taking a bit of a beating right now, but it's still mostly full. They did just get a large new tenant of SkyZone which took the space of the old movie theatre, which I had no idea was still there behind some of the retail stores. Evidently they only converted the lobby space to retail and left the actual theatre rooms intact all of those years, kind of interesting. I grew up going to those theatres, but they closed them down at least a decade ago.
The mall was doomed to fail from day one. Simon overbuilt their malls to have too many anchors in the 80's and we have three examples of that in Kansas alone with West Ridge, Towne West, and The Hutchinson Mall. Towne East opened with two department stores, two jr department stores, and room for two more department stores. Simon opened Towne West with four department stores, Service Merchandise, and room for Sears to move in later, Hutchinson opened with four three department stores, Service Merchandise, Walmart, and then Sears had plans to move to the mall later, which they did. West Ridge should have never had five department stores! Two had to be poached from downtown (Ward's, and then Dillard's had bought the areas Macy's division by then), two from White Lakes, and then somehow Simon landed Mercantile's KC division "The Jones Store", something they were unable to do in Wichita despite attempts.

Gap is closing in Manhattan too and also closed stores in Oak Park Mall and Towne East a decade ago and Kearney, NE two years ago. Both Burlington and The Furniture Mall told my parents that they're interested in the Kmart space. The cashier at Burlington said that they had tried to renegotiate with Washington Prime to consolidate the store down to one floor, but WP wasn't interested. She also said that the regional manager was hoping that the Topeka Gordmans would close, but Stage apparently sees potential in that rundown building. The furniture mall people said that they want out of the mall too because rent is high, Mercantile, May, and Macy's never once renovated the building, and they could optimize space better in a single story building. Sears will be the next to go, JCPenney was on a list of the least profitable stores to high debt ratio, and Dillard's isn't doing too hot anywhere. I would take this with a grain of salt, but a department manager at the Manhattan Dillard's is convinced that Topeka and Manhattan are next as their leases are coming up soon and they're both marginal stores like Salina was. The reason the Towne West store was converted to a clearance center rather than closed outright is because Dillard's isn't moving a lot of merchandise in Kansas-KC and was having to ship it to Oklahoma.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Kansas going outside the mainstream of all other states regarding taxes again:
https://www.apnews.com/c35c18d121f049699d9b9a4d5d2a69d5

Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:

Does anyone know how they are defining "remote seller"

Old 08-09-2019, 12:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
We all remember how you (and some others) railed against Kansas for cutting taxes. Now they're trying to collect more taxes and they're still on the outs. Who would have thought?

Seems no matter what Kansas does, they'll always be the coyote looking at the shadow of the fast-falling boulder directly above.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 AM

23 posts, read 15,237 times
This was so long, things has changed a lot since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas