Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:46 AM

29 posts, read 23,691 times

Advertisements

Try Woodyard BBQ, it's my favorite outside of what I pull out of my smoker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 02:06 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Last New Years they still had it up just west of Topeka. I didn't see police at the checkpoints, but they keep police cars stationed at the exits immediately before the checkpoints. They then find reasons to stop the cars that are getting off the highway, especially non Kansas tagged cars since there is absolutely no reason to exit the interstate on those farm roads. I won't debate the legality, but I think police should be allowed to make such stops. Drug trafficking is a serious problem, and I wish the government would do more about it. Besides my personal observations on the checkpoints, my source for their strategy on stopping trafficking is from a retired state trooper.
you should do an illegal act before the police could stop you. just exiting the highway isn't illegal, whatever your intention is

Old 09-01-2016, 04:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Try Woodyard BBQ, it's my favorite outside of what I pull out of my smoker.

Sounds good - I'll add it to my list!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 AM

767 posts, read 1,323,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Oh, man, empires228! I have been over to the KC forums to inquire about the best BBQ. My old Dept. Boss in Dodge City is a young man from Leawood, so upon us moving over here he gave me some food ideas. One is Oklahoma Joe's - which apparently is now called Kansas City Joe's. It's in Shawnee Mission. The others are Gojo's Japanese Steakhouse on the Plaza. His favorite burger place is Westport Bar and Grill. Have you tried any of them? We found 5 Guy's for burgers already - not bad - not bad at all!

Yeah, I didn't like house rental prices in Lenexa, Overland Park, Leawood, etc., so had to look at the broad picture for the KC Metro. I found a good rental here in Grandview and we're still breaking it in - AT&T contractor just got finished burying cable for my U-Verse high-speed internet and as I type there's a DirecTV guy here putting our dish on a pole in the front yard. Once he's done the yard will be free and clear to mow it for the first time - it's getting some Missouri length to it, yes. We've been here three weeks now. But the drive is only about 13 miles and it takes about 25 minutes to get to work. Heading north on 49/71 in the morning and merging over to Eastbound 435 can be tight and tough at times - I've got to keep a firm hold on the the steering wheel and pay good attention, yep. Since I work at night it's not so bad coming in at night, and going home is pretty much a breeze. So I'm OK with the drive - my Boss said the same thing you did about the drive. "And that's OK with you?" he says. I'll be all right with it.

We went to our first IKEA the other day - the stores are big and large and many over here - wow! Like I said in my above post - it's gonna be good eatin' over here. Work is in the new and sort of uncomfortable stage right now as I learn their system of my medical craft - it is mostly the same test but their hookup is different with their equipment and wires. So I'm learning and I believe I just have three more nights of Orientation to do then I'm on my own. So the process is underway.

Kansas City is surrounded by lush, green countryside and it is the city of fountains - they're everywhere. The Community Center in Grandview - The View is it's name - is very nice. Nice pool, indoor basketball court and workout machines aplenty. Apparently rock and country shows play right across the street in the amphitheater there. Kansas City has very frequent rock shows available, including one of our all-time favorites The Drive-By Truckers (towards the end of September) coming right up. I am going to absolutely love the music show venues, as I have time to enjoy them, that is. So we are easing our way in to Kansas City, empires228. Nice to hear from you!
Did you look in Shawnee or Mission? The rents there are pretty affordable, even cheaper than Garden City and Hays in most cases. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Grandview! The former superintendent at USD 457 came from Grandview after he resigned after making bad weather call that resulted in the death of at least one student who was forced to go home only to find a locked house and nowhere to go. Now he's off causing havoc in the Shawnee Mission district, where he is once again very unpopular. KC Joe's is one of my favorite places to go, but it's closed on Sundays so I rarely get to visit.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
you should do an illegal act before the police could stop you. just exiting the highway isn't illegal, whatever your intention is
the particular exit they were doing this at goes nowhere. Unless you live on one of the ranches it services, there is no reason to take that exit.

most people dumb enough to drive across Kansas with a car load of dope are probably not smart enough to figure all the legal angles on the fly in podunk Kansas.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:18 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Did you look in Shawnee or Mission? The rents there are pretty affordable, even cheaper than Garden City and Hays in most cases. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Grandview! The former superintendent at USD 457 came from Grandview after he resigned after making bad weather call that resulted in the death of at least one student who was forced to go home only to find a locked house and nowhere to go. Now he's off causing havoc in the Shawnee Mission district, where he is once again very unpopular. KC Joe's is one of my favorite places to go, but it's closed on Sundays so I rarely get to visit.

No, I looked on Craigslist (I use Craigslist for many purchases - I know that many don't trust it, yes) and didn't find anything, but did in Grandview. My Lenexa Boss suggests Overland Park - potentially as a house purchase after our one-year lease is up. We'll look, learn and see.

KC Joe's is on our list, for sure!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 PM

473 posts, read 502,722 times
Best North to South is Hwy 177 from I-70 at Manhattan down to Hwy 54. Road is through Flint Hills with lots of fall flowers & gold colors, historic Council Grove loaded with neat history/photo ops/oldest restaurant west of Missouri River, old Kaw Indian Reservation by Dunlap, Tallgrass Prairie Preserve and VERY scene and windy narrow hwy, Elk City lake is stunning hike, Fall River is another nature spot, neat bridge across river at Elk Falls...Is ONLY DRIVE WORTH COMING TO KANSAS TO DO but may not really fit your needs if you want to end up in SW OKla & drive hill country of western TX. Has lots of nice camping spots if you look at the county lakes/Corp of Engineers near CG hiding some very picturesque views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas