Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 62,240 times

Advertisements

i will really appreciate any info about apartment complexes in lawrence that will be nice and safe for a family with 2 kids(10&8).my husband got a job in topeka but we decided to live in Lawrence.School is very important to us.
Am wondering which zip code has the good schools?
we dont want apartment with college student.
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Also is there any apartment to avoid in lawrence?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:03 PM

50 posts, read 112,835 times
"is there any apartment to avoid in lawrence?" omg yes. in college towns practically every apartment is leased from august 1st, for a period of one year. if you started your search now you will have the leftovers nobody else wants. also you can't just pay more to escape the asinine drunken behavior, their in even the most overpriced "luxury apartments."

if i was you i'd get a place in topeka for a year and see if you still think lawrence would be worth it. its a lot easier to drive to lawrence to experience activities occasionally than it is to make the commute everyday.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,927,090 times
I'd start contacting apartments now and ask if they have apartments not near students, I'm guessing you will have to call around to find out, but my guess is there are apartments that don't like to rent to students. Lawrence is dominated by the college, remember the town is 90,000 people, and the college is 28,000, that's about 1/4 people, not including employees.

Lawrence is slightly more expensive then Topeka, but there is more to do despite being a smaller town. Plus you are closer to KC, which has tons to do.

I do delivery to apartments fairly often, and I can tell you right now don't live in The Reserve on 31st, terrible place. It looks great from the outside and pictures do look good, but it's not a good place for a family. Mostly students, loud, crime, etc... read the reviews online
Do look at: Pinnacle Woods, Aberdeen, Orchard Corners (probably mostly students), Eagle Ridge (probably my top pick)

Sorry, I don't know about the schools in Lawrence, I work here and don't live here. I actually started a thread not too long ago about schools in Lawrence when we were thinking about moving here, but didn't get a whole lot of response. I think most of the schools here are ok to good.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,372,812 times
I'd look in west Lawrence. That's where most of the families, professors and families, etc. live.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM

Thank you all for your input.
Really appreciate it.
Does anyone know any info about Park west neighbour?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM

i mean Park west neighbourhood?
Thanks.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:25 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,059,058 times
Park West must be new, because I haven't heard of it. If it's on the west side of Lawrence, then yes, you'll be fine. Your kids would be in the newest grade schools and the newest middle school.

Lawrence schools in general are great. When I was growing up, the run-down schools were India (long since closed), Woodlawn and New York Elementary. That didn't mean they were bad, just often neglected.

Use Iowa Street as a dividing line. Many families live west of Iowa Street. Many college students live east of Iowa Street. But any apartment complex is bound to have college students, no matter the location.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,338,088 times
I second west Lawrence. I lived in an apartment complex near Kassold and Clinton Pkwy. while attending KU and it was very quiet, some families. The students tended to be more serious/older/grad students living there.

Plus, you're closer to heading to Topeka from the west side.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:28 PM

321 posts, read 1,218,175 times
66047 is a good zip code for schools. Southwest Middle and Sunflower Elementary are right next to each other, and are great schools! Aberdeen Apts are in the district for those two schools, and they are within walking distance of the apt complex. Aberdeen does have college students, but it doesn't cater specifically to students like many complexes do. I'm not sure about rents there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas