Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,143,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
What's amazing is how cheap even a place like Leawood is in comparison to other cities in the country. On long island a modest family home requires a $2500 mortgage payment. My brother lives in NoVA and a house there comparable to one in Leawood runs in the millions. He has a high gov't salary but is going to be renting for some time.
From what I read, northern VA has 7 of the 20 counties with the highest income in the US so that is probably why housing is so expensive there. Desirability in the location, being so close to Washington DC and supply and demand drive the cost of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
What's amazing is how cheap even a place like Leawood is in comparison to other cities in the country. On long island a modest family home requires a $2500 mortgage payment. My brother lives in NoVA and a house there comparable to one in Leawood runs in the millions. He has a high gov't salary but is going to be renting for some time.
Yep, not to mention they most likely have fairly long commutes.

One of the true ironies when I hear people dogging on places like KC saying they could never live there because they'd miss the "culture" and big city things and most of them don't have the time or the money to do those things, most of which are available here.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, not to mention they most likely have fairly long commutes.

One of the true ironies when I hear people dogging on places like KC saying they could never live there because they'd miss the "culture" and big city things and most of them don't have the time or the money to do those things, most of which are available here.
That is true due to COL being lower, however, I would generally take a vacation elsewhere before partaking in cultural amenities, but I'm not much of a city person. I enjoy theater, independent restaurants, art, and some sporting events.
I certainly don't miss the KC climate/weather. I can only imagine how horrid last Summer there was with temperatures over 100F and humidity. Anything over 90F here is extremely hot.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would generally take a vacation elsewhere before partaking in cultural amenities...
This is something I don't identify with. Maybe due to growing up quite rurally, and always having to travel to access urban cultural amenities, I really enjoy having museums, galleries, opera, theatre, musical ensembles, ballet, etc. right at my fingertips.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is something I don't identify with. Maybe due to growing up quite rurally, and always having to travel to access urban cultural amenities, I really enjoy having museums, galleries, opera, theatre, musical ensembles, ballet, etc. right at my fingertips.
I enjoy those things as well, but would prefer to be up in the Northwoods on a lake or on the hiking trails.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
That is true due to COL being lower, however, I would generally take a vacation elsewhere before partaking in cultural amenities, but I'm not much of a city person. I enjoy theater, independent restaurants, art, and some sporting events.
I certainly don't miss the KC climate/weather. I can only imagine how horrid last Summer there was with temperatures over 100F and humidity. Anything over 90F here is extremely hot.
I grew up about 100miles or so south of your location....one persons sucky summer is another persons sucky winter.

Last summer here sucked but this year it's been wonderful.

Overall, it's a trade between much milder winters\springs and hotter summers. >shrug>

Madison is a biatch in winter most years.

Most years I use my snow-blower about 2 or fewer times.....not something one can say in Wisconsin.

P.S. Commute time is one of the reasons I moved to KC. I have an extra 90minutes a day more or less....that's enormous in terms of quality of living.

Last edited by Mathguy; 09-01-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I enjoy those things as well, but would prefer to be up in the Northwoods on a lake or on the hiking trails.
I would say I appreciate outdoors activities and fine arts-related cultural amenities equally, which is what makes a well-appointed, yet affordable city with easy access to nearby countryside ideal for me.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I grew up about 100miles or so south of your location....one persons sucky summer is another persons sucky winter.

Last summer here sucked but this year it's been wonderful.

Overall, it's a trade between much milder winters\springs and hotter summers. >shrug>

Madison is a biatch in winter most years.

Most years I use my snow-blower about 2 or fewer times.....not something one can say in Wisconsin.

P.S. Commute time is one of the reasons I moved to KC. I have an extra 90minutes a day more or less....that's enormous in terms of quality of living.
Agree on all counts, having been raised in northern IL, with significant time spent in the Northwoods, and college years in Minnesota. I am totally fine with never living in that kind of winter again (although, if my fiance takes a position at NAVSTA Great Lakes, I'm possibly looking at a batch of gross Chicago winters, but that's a price I'm willing to pay).

I also feel that KC's easy driving/parking/commuting situation is pretty glorious, having previously lived in Chicago.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
I don't mind Kansas City summers. Summer nights here, to me, are perfect. I love to sit outside on a summer night when it's 80 degrees. I don't want to have to put on long sleeves; I want to enjoy it in my shorts and sandals. And hot summer days are perfect for the pool or the lake. If it's 80 degrees, that's too cool for swimming.

If I could have Kansas City's weather from March through November, and then start over March through November, I'd be perfectly content. December, January, and February I could definitely live without. I also could do May through October on a continuous loop. In fact, that's even better!

I think I would do well someplace like Phoenix since I love warm/hot weather. But I'd miss the trees and the grass. Phoenix just isn't very green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas