Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM

674 posts, read 1,539,743 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Lawrence from 1994-1996. Haven't been back there since. Have good memories of it being a nice, safe city close to the big city. How has the city changed? Is it still safe? Have a lot of people moved there since? I also remember Lawrence having a nice lively downtown with lots of shops and people. Is it still the same? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I used to live in Lawrence from 1994-1996. Haven't been back there since. Have good memories of it being a nice, safe city close to the big city. How has the city changed? Is it still safe? Have a lot of people moved there since? I also remember Lawrence having a nice lively downtown with lots of shops and people. Is it still the same? Thanks in advance.
I lived in Lawrence in the early-mid 1980's. Haven't made it back much in the past 10 years but spent a day touring about old haunts in August. It has changed tremendously and is HUGE. No more small town feel, even on Mass. Street. Lots of traffic and KU wasn't even back in session. Lawrence has suburban sprawl big time, IMO.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 PM

398 posts, read 994,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I lived in Lawrence in the early-mid 1980's. Haven't made it back much in the past 10 years but spent a day touring about old haunts in August. It has changed tremendously and is HUGE. No more small town feel, even on Mass. Street. Lots of traffic and KU wasn't even back in session. Lawrence has suburban sprawl big time, IMO.
Sprawl compared to where? Lawrence has a population of about 90,000. That's bigger than it was in the 80s, for sure, but it's not sprawl compared to places like Houston, where the commenter is from. Lawrence is only 5 or 6 miles from one end to the other, beyond that it's all farmland. There are not any suburbs that sprawl between Lawrence and Kansas City or between Lawrence and Topeka. It's farmland. That's not sprawl. Sprawl is places like Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, etc. Places where uninterrupted suburban development goes on for 30-40 miles in all directions.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Sprawl compared to where? Lawrence has a population of about 90,000. That's bigger than it was in the 80s, for sure, but it's not sprawl compared to places like Houston, where the commenter is from. Lawrence is only 5 or 6 miles from one end to the other, beyond that it's all farmland. There are not any suburbs that sprawl between Lawrence and Kansas City or between Lawrence and Topeka. It's farmland. That's not sprawl. Sprawl is places like Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, etc. Places where uninterrupted suburban development goes on for 30-40 miles in all directions.
I had no idea Lawrence was at 90,000 now.Is the gap in Lawrence and Topeka's population closing in or has Topeka grown alot as well?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wow!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 PM

27 posts, read 154,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post

The west side is more developed and there are always new restaurants/businesses around town but not really any earth shattering changes in the last 15 years. Lawrence is still safe, but there seems to be more crime the last 5-10 years. Much of that crime seems to come from Topeka or KC though. Mass St. is still a thriving, old school downtown.

Lawrence is still awesome.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocifus View Post
The west side is more developed and there are always new restaurants/businesses around town but not really any earth shattering changes in the last 15 years. Lawrence is still safe, but there seems to be more crime the last 5-10 years. Much of that crime seems to come from Topeka or KC though. Mass St. is still a thriving, old school downtown.

Lawrence is still awesome.
Glad to hear that Lawrence is growing and that the downtown is still going strong! As for the crime, is it like thefts or assaults? When I lived there hardly anything happened. There was one shooting death in the 2 years I was there and that was because a suspect led cops on a high speed chase through the city and was shot when he pointed a gun at an officer. Do you remember that?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,047,040 times
The increase in crime is generally property crime, though KU and Lawrence have been investigating a serial rapist for nearly a decade. People have moved in from small towns around Northeast Kansas, can't find work, and resort to theft.

Being a Lawrence native (mid-70s to 1999), I'm surprised the city hasn't grown more. When I was a kid, the population was around 48,000 to 52,000. 30 years later, the population is around 90,000. Lawrence barely extended beyond Kasold Rd. when I was young. If Lawrence had a major employer besides the university, I'm sure the population would have increased greatly. Downtown is still lively.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,914,629 times
Lawrence is by far the best city in Kansas. But it is becoming more of a suburb of KC both in commuting patterns and how it's developing. The west half of Lawrence looks like Lenexa.

The city does maintain a vibrant and active downtown core and the younger population keeps the vibe in the town more energetic (as with most college towns).

But one drawback is that Lawrence is sprawling west with almost no growth on the KC side of Lawrence. I think that sort of keeps it from truly booming into a larger city that is more tied to the KC metro (like what has happened to Boulder) and the highway corridor between Denver and Boulder.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lawrence is by far the best city in Kansas. But it is becoming more of a suburb of KC both in commuting patterns and how it's developing. The west half of Lawrence looks like Lenexa.

The city does maintain a vibrant and active downtown core and the younger population keeps the vibe in the town more energetic (as with most college towns).

But one drawback is that Lawrence is sprawling west with almost no growth on the KC side of Lawrence. I think that sort of keeps it from truly booming into a larger city that is more tied to the KC metro (like what has happened to Boulder) and the highway corridor between Denver and Boulder.
Do you see KC growing west to meet Lawrence or Lawrence growing west to meet Topeka one day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas