Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 26,884 times

Advertisements

Am interested in the Republic County area. Can anyone give me any infor. I'm single and have no kids, so the school system is not an issue. Just want a small town, reasonable real estate, and a safer environment. I live in the Manhattan, NY area so you could say I am really trying to get away from the rat race and slow down, a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Republic County is located in far northern Kansas along the Nebraska border. The population for the county is around 5,000 people and is rapidly declining. The population decreased by 13.7% between 2000-2006. Non-farm employment has declined by about 25% between 2000-2004, and the census data does not have the more recent data. The younger people are fleeing the county to urban areas and towns that have better job opportunities. The average price for housing in Bellevile, the county seat, is around $50,000 as of 2005. If you are looking for a smaller town in a rural county that is doing better I would recommend looking into Marysville in Marshall County. This county is doing better economically than Republic County and is closer to Manhattan KS, which is a larger college town home to KSU. If you want to be a little closer to an urban area and still have the small town feel I would also look at Paola and Baldwin City. These towns are located a good distance away from the KC metro and both have populations of 6,000 or less. These towns may be a better fit because they are located a little closer to the job rich areas of Johnson County and the KC metro area.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Thank you for the information on Republic County. I'll check into the towns you suggested.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM

150 posts, read 792,067 times
Default NY to Republic County Kansas...You really must want change! LOL!

Hi Mich66:
I must admit I'm way beyond curious how a Manhattanite, could even come up with Republic Co. Kansas..unless your family roots go back there.
If your looking for a spotless, safe little Kansas town, but with a little size to it, I'd like to suggest McPherson, Kansas...pop. about 14,000. Complete with a new SuperWal-Mart! Good and bad. :-)
It is located just 60 miles north of Wichita via interstate, and also 35 miles from both Salina, and Hutchinson, which are around 45,000, so major shopping/restaurants are an hour or less away. The latter are sorely lacking here though...not uncommon in small, Kansas towns.
They have beautiful city parks, two little colleges, and a fine hospital. Regional medical centers are found in Salina, and Hutchinson.
Commercial air service from Salina, or Wichita.
It's a little more sophisticated, and "monied" than similar towns in Kansas I feel, and I stayed there for almost three months on family business. (Hometown is Salina.)
Just check out its website.
If you'd like to be "close" but not that close to a larger city, I'd also consider Augusta...about 18 miles, and just 30 minutes east on US54 from downtown Wichita. Augusta is smaller, under 10,000 pop.
There is definately a more "laid-back" atmosphere in the Midwest.
Good luck on wherever you choose to "escape" to in Kansas! LJ

Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

I've lived practically my whole life in the Manhattan area. I'm fed up with the crime, smog, and don't even get me started about traffic and the illegals! I'm tired of it all, especially being treated as a foreigner in my own land. No, I do not speak Spanish nor do I plan on learning it.
Yes, I'm in the middle of it all, but "it all" doesn't interest me at this point and I don't mind having to travel if I have to.

I've always had a fascination with Kansas, don't remember when it started, but I think it's about time I found out why it's always interested me. I'm also checking into Ellsworth and the Philadelphia area.

thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas