Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,899 times

Advertisements

This actually has to do with the plaza riots... while reading up on a bunch of stuff in regards to it, I keep seeing the same people from KC saying "don't let the plaza end up like westport"

Since when did Westport turn bad? I mean it's had its problems, definitely it can be a more rowdy area... but what happened over the weekend at the plaza sounds way worse then anything I ever saw in Westport.

I haven't gone out to a bar in Westport for awhile, been to busy with school and gone more to a few local hole in the wall places, crossroads, rivermarket, or Zona Rosa lately.. but I've frequently been to Westport during the day and around til 9pm lately... and it doesn't seem any different to me then it always has. Is this just more crazy whining from the suburbs? Cuz last I checkedk Westport isn't a ghost town, and its not minority controlled, it seems like a pretty even mix of people and a lot of college students as its been as long as I can remember?

It annoys me that some people perpetuate these things, but maybe I'm wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Westport has had issues on numerous occasions since I've lived here. Usually the problem is in the summer months. They changed the rules to only allow 21 and up after 10pm in the immediate district.

People don't like large groups of juvenilles loitering no matter where it is. And because they don't like it, they and their money will stay away.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM

448 posts, read 1,459,129 times
Let's be honest here, people don't like large groups of A-A juvinilles loitering. They are intimidated, no matter if they are just hanging out or actually causing trouble. The social worker in me wants to go into it a little deeper, but I'll leave it at that. I'm sure many will have a different opinion.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
This actually has to do with the plaza riots... while reading up on a bunch of stuff in regards to it, I keep seeing the same people from KC saying "don't let the plaza end up like westport"

Since when did Westport turn bad? I mean it's had its problems, definitely it can be a more rowdy area... but what happened over the weekend at the plaza sounds way worse then anything I ever saw in Westport.

I haven't gone out to a bar in Westport for awhile, been to busy with school and gone more to a few local hole in the wall places, crossroads, rivermarket, or Zona Rosa lately.. but I've frequently been to Westport during the day and around til 9pm lately... and it doesn't seem any different to me then it always has. Is this just more crazy whining from the suburbs? Cuz last I checkedk Westport isn't a ghost town, and its not minority controlled, it seems like a pretty even mix of people and a lot of college students as its been as long as I can remember?

It annoys me that some people perpetuate these things, but maybe I'm wrong?
Daytime in Westport has not been a problem. Years ago and often in the summer, night time has. Yes, Westport has had its share of out of control crowds and shootings in the past. With all due respect, you may not be old enough to remember.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Daytime in Westport has not been a problem. Years ago and often in the summer, night time has. Yes, Westport has had its share of out of control crowds and shootings in the past. With all due respect, you may not be old enough to remember.
Actually i've been there when there was a shooting (cops shooting a guy with a gun) and when a gun has been pulled out...

That was 6-7 years ago, I still would go back the next night I didn't feel it wasn't safe. Isolated incidents are a lot different then a mob running crazy...

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,598 times
Westport is actually a very pleasant place during the day - you'll see parents with strollers for pete's sake. The only problems are once in awhile, usually in summer, at night around closing time for the bars. And even then, the incidents are pretty few and far between.

It was nice that our idiot mayor besmirched the entire area by calling what happened on the Plaza a "Westport night."

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
Westport is actually a very pleasant place during the day - you'll see parents with strollers for pete's sake. The only problems are once in awhile, usually in summer, at night around closing time for the bars. And even then, the incidents are pretty few and far between.

It was nice that our idiot mayor besmirched the entire area by calling what happened on the Plaza a "Westport night."
He said that? I'm telling you, the worst day in the history of KC was the day Funkhouser was elected. I knew from that very day that KC would never be the same.

I had to be the most anti funkhouser peson (pre-election). I spent more time telling people about the "real" funkhouser than even thinking of who else might win because I knew if he won, it would set KCMO back ten years minimum.

It took everybody else about a year to figure out that they just screwed themselves and the city of KCMO.

Stupid people. Writing was on the wall.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post

I thought the same thing? I was like WTF... did somethign happen to westport? I mean i've heard for years people who don't have a clue about the area being scared and saying its bad... but I don't think it's bad at all. And to read some blogs and news sites youd think its just all black people, when I think its pretty evenly mixed or even more white people but who knows... and who cares? I don't care who is there as long as people are cool with each other...

Thats why i asked tho, haven't been to any bars or anything down there at night in awhile, i was like am I missing something?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
I grew up in KCK along Quindaro blvd in the 60's-70's, and those of us who had any sense would use the Plaza and Westport as kind of refuge from the violence.
I tell my kids about walking between 10th & 27th and Quindaro Friday nights with out hearing any guns before it got bad. Now I will tell my Grand kids about the time I walked from Blarneys to the Clock Tower to a Hotel on about 45th at 2:00 am one Saturday without feeling threatened.
It seems the Chickens have come home to roost.

Its one thing to hop into your car and get to safety but what makes or what made an area safe is its ability to encourage foot traffic at all (reasonable) hours

Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 60,857 times
Westpor during the day is fine, Westport at night is another story entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City