Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,968 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, white male with a potential job offer in Kansas City, MO at Cerner. I will be coming from Tulsa, so I'd like an area that is similar, if possible, to South Tulsa (if anyone is familiar with the area) but affordable.

I have been looking at Gladstone and Overland Park, as their apartments seem to be right up my price range for a Studio or 1 BDR. Does anyone have any other options that are worth while? I don't really care about that nightlife, as I go out about 4 or 5 times a year.

Basically, i'm looking for somewhere safe and quiet with decent rent. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Overland Park is a great place for nice, quiet apartment complexes, but you can find the same thing in the Northland that would be much closer to Cerner. There are a lot of very nice apartment communities along I-29 from Parvin Road all the way up to the KCI area. There is also a lot along 169 up near north of I-29 and there are some in the Liberty area along I-35. I would look into the 29 corridor myself.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 AM

I can't seem to find Northland anywhere. Is it an actual suburb? Or is it just the name of an area?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM

The "Northland" is everything north of the MO river. Much (most) of this is actually the city of Kansas City, MO, but it also includes Gladstone, Parkville, Liberty etc. But most of the apartment complexes will be in Kansas City, MO. It's all called Kansas City, North.

Kansas City, North is simply the portion of KCMO that is north of the river (and is part of the Northland). It's basically a suburb, good schools, looks like suburbs with all the newer construction, big box stores, chain restaurants etc, it's just in the city limits.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Here is a map of the "Northland"

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/misc/kcmap_northland_low.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
A much simpler definition of the Northland is Clay and Platte counties in Missouri.

I've lived in the Northland my entire life and I can tell you first hand that it meets your specifications listed.

Which Cerner building are you going to be at? NKC? Lee's Summit?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 PM

I am not sure what Cerner building I will be in yet, as I am still in interviewing/negotiations. But I believe it will probably be HQ, which is in NKC.

Am I right to assume Overland Park is a more 'upscale' area than Gladstone or Liberty?

I'm just looking for wherever the price is right, which should be low, since i'm looking at Studios or 1BDR apartments.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,505,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiii View Post
Am I right to assume Overland Park is a more 'upscale' area than Gladstone or Liberty?
In general, yes

But if price is the #1 priority, then you will get more for your money in NKC, Gladstone or Liberty and be able to find something quite nice.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Really depends on your taste...Liberty's always struck me as the most attractive of the three, so it depends on what your concept of upscale includes. OP is pretty textbook affluent suburbia, Liberty is a bit more charming, overall, to me, any I haven't spent enough time in Gladstone to have formed any opinion on it.

You're probably going to need to figure out which campus you'll be working at...it wouldn't make much sense to live in NKC if you're going to be working at the Triangle in SKC every day. People commute from all over, but why, if you don't have to? If you're going to be working in Marion Park Drive, you'd be better off looking for places to live in OP, Lee's Summit, or part of SKC proper.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiii View Post
I am not sure what Cerner building I will be in yet, as I am still in interviewing/negotiations. But I believe it will probably be HQ, which is in NKC.

I'm just looking for wherever the price is right, which should be low, since i'm looking at Studios or 1BDR apartments.
It really depends on what your definition of upscale is.

Apartments in Johnson County/Overland Park tend to be highly overpriced IMO. Why my wife and I were apartment shopping a few years back she was curious as to what was available in JoCo compared to the Northland. We found that apartments that were the same size with similar amenities were 30-50% just because they were in JoCo.

There are apartments all along 169 Hwy and 152 Hwy in the Northland that are very nice and decently priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City