Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are the taxes higher in Shawnee and Lenexa as oppossed to Overland Park or Leawood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Is it just me or are the taxes higher in Shawnee and Lenexa as oppossed to Overland Park or Leawood?
Which ones?

Property taxes can be higher if it's an area with schools still being paid for, lower in older more established areas. I don't think there's a noticeable difference in sales tax.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
I have no idea. When i lived in OP i voted for every tax there was! lol

Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Depends what parts I would think.

I live in a Lenexa neighborhood that is about 25 years old. My property taxes are <3500 a year on a house that is worth about 275k or so. They actually went down since my last assessment went down about 20k or so.

Even within towns like OP they might vary the actual taxes by putting higher assessed values in the new places down south than on the older neighborhoods.

Personally I wouldn't think they would vary that much...except where they've had enormous growth like Olathe.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Look up taxes on any residence in Johnson County here:

Appraiser's Office - DISCLAIMER PAGE

Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Look up taxes on any residence in Johnson County here:

Appraiser's Office - DISCLAIMER PAGE
Yeah...that's a handy little website! I stumbled onto that last night while surfing.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Property taxes are higher for the most part in all areas of JoCo compared to other parts of the metro. It's one of the main reasons why I would not move over there.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Property taxes are higher for the most part in all areas of JoCo compared to other parts of the metro. It's one of the main reasons why I would not move over there.
Actually, I think Wyandotte County taxes are higher than Johnson County because of all the development out by Kansas Speedway. That's what some people who live out there were telling me.

Taxes are probably higher in Johnson County, but I like the fact that when there is snow and ice, the roads get cleaned. Having lived in Johnson County and worked in Missouri at one time, I know for a fact that Jackson County does not clean their streets like Johnson County does, because I would leave for work and have clear streets, even when it had snowed overnight, until I hit State Line and then the roads were packed with snow and ice. I also don't fall into potholes driving down the street in Johnson County. And the street cleaner comes down my street on a regular basis and sweeps the street. I also don't see trash on the sides of the roads. And the schools are excellent. For those reasons, I don't mind paying a little more in taxes.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Actually, I think Wyandotte County taxes are higher than Johnson County because of all the development out by Kansas Speedway. That's what some people who live out there were telling me.
WyCo has the highest property tax in the metro, but its not because of the Speedway. I thought it was because they have both sprawl and an urban core, and a poorer population with lots of blight. They have had high property taxes long before the Speedway. In fact, I think the Speedway was considered to be a way of alleviating the high property tax (I think recently they did cut property taxes quite a bit)

kcmo posted a chart on taxes around the metro and its pretty much a wash. You'll pay a bit more in property tax in JoCo, you'll pay the e-tax in KCMO. Sales taxes around the metro are all pretty close to each other.

I do seem to recall reading that Overland Park had the lowest property tax in the metro.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Yeah...that's a handy little website! I stumbled onto that last night while surfing.
It sure is a handy website. I just wish our real estate agent had bothered to use it when we were buying our house. The MLS sheet quoted one tax number, the title company another -- $2500 higher. I repeatedly asked our agent to check on the taxes because they were a big factor in our decision, and we might have backed out of the deal if she had bothered to take two minutes and check. We still lived in Chicago and had no idea the info was so readily available online. So one month later, after several requests for the information, she finally got back to us, and sure enough, the higher amount was accurate. That's $200 a month more than we had planned to pay. By then, it was too late to back out. We were closing on the sale a few days later.

Ugh, don't get me started on dealing with that real estate company. That was a nightmare experience on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: