Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM

37 posts, read 73,310 times

Advertisements

We'll be making the drive up this weekend to look for a home. We are excited to be able to explore the city and get our first taste of what life in KC might be like.

We will have our 6 year old and two dogs with us. Is there anything going on this weekend that all of us can enjoy?

Keep your fingers crossed for us... 2 adults, 2 big dogs, and one active child in a honda accord for 1000 miles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:55 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDBLues View Post
We'll be making the drive up this weekend to look for a home. We are excited to be able to explore the city and get our first taste of what life in KC might be like.

We will have our 6 year old and two dogs with us. Is there anything going on this weekend that all of us can enjoy?

Keep your fingers crossed for us... 2 adults, 2 big dogs, and one active child in a honda accord for 1000 miles!
Now that's crazy! No one to take care of the dogs for the weekend? That stinks!

Our new neighbors (young kids, but no dog) are aching for us to go out of town for a weekend so that they can dogsit!

We will be heading up to Alldrege's apple orchard (exit 24 I think, off of I435) with the kids. Your 6 yo would probably like that.

Deanna Rose Farmstead is also a big hit with that age group. My kids are older now, but they still enjoy it as well. I don't think they would let the dogs inside, but there is some park area around it that they could roam if leashed.

I know there are a few dog parks around, but others will have to chime in about which ones are best.

Have fun! I look forward to your reviews!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM

37 posts, read 73,310 times
Thanks Samantha! We are going to be gone for a week (2 days driving, 2-3 days there, then another 2 days driving back)... So, no there isn't anyone we could leave them with that long. Can't stand the thought of leaving them in "jail" at the vet that long either.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
You might look into checking them into a local pet hotel. They are all over the city. That way you can enjoy your short time in KC.

Nevermind, I see you have already taken care of that.

What part of town will you be living in? I fogot if you already said. Depending on that, there are lots of good dog parks, but I would guess you can save that for later. I think the best one in the metro is at Shawnee Mission Park. There are other popular ones in Pen Valley Park in Midtown and I the one I use most in Blue Springs.

For a six year old, I would hit up Union Station and go the whole "train" thing. Go to the fast food place in Crown Center where trains bring your food, go to Union Station and walk across the bridge behind it that goes over the tracks or go to the Railroad museum in the station. Make sure you come back to Union Station when they have their massive holiday train display up in about a month or so. It might even be already up.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
As for dog parks, there's 3 in Independence. The one I use is in Santa Fe Park. It's a pretty nice one. Haven't been to the others yet.
Loose Park just south of the Plaza is a fun one for dogs, but it's not off-leash. Just a very nice place to take a walk. I suppose one could walk their dogs around the Nelson-Atkins grounds if they wanted. Another beautiful spot, with a sculpture garden.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,939 times
There are tons of dog boarding places, many of them very nice, in north Johnson County.

I don't know of anything specific to this weekend, but I would HIGHLY recommend Deanna Rose. Your kids can have a blast for an entire afternoon there. There is so much to do - go fishing, ride ponies, hayride, playgrounds, feed a goat, watch a cow being milked, visit the petting zoo, see a bald eagle and bobcat, walk a nature trail - and the best part is admission is COMPLETELY FREE! Deanna Rose is located in south Johnson County, just off 69 highway and 135th Street.

Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead (http://www.opkansas.org/_Vis/Farmstead - broken link)

I'll also echo Crown Center and Union Station. Those will be fun for kids. Union Station currently has an exhibit on Chocolate, which they may enjoy, as well as their permanent exhibit on trains. Those will cost money, although access to Union Station itself is free.

Union Station Kansas City

Crown Center is basically a nice indoor mall, but they do have a neat lego exhibit right now, and lots of kids have fun at Kaleidoscope, a free art experience for kids.

Kaleidoscope - Crown Center

There are also a couple of pumpkin patches now open that are supposed to be a lot of fun.

KC Pumpkin Patch in Gardner (south Johnson County)

KC Pumpkin Patch

Carolyn's Country Cousins Pumpkin Patch in Liberty (northern part of KC)

Carolyn's Country Cousins Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze Home Page, Serving Liberty & Greater Kansas City, Missouri

Louisburg Cider Mill (Miami County, south of Johnson County)

Louisburg Cider Mill Specialty Foods and Gifts

City Market Pumpkin Patch (located downtown, in the River Market)

- T H E C I T Y M A R K E T : : K A N S A S C I T Y -

The KC Arts Flea Market is now open every weekend at 16th and Holmes, downtown

Art Flea KC Market - Saturdays at ArtsTech

I'm not sure what the policies are for dogs at any of those places. I know the River Market forbids dogs now.

I'll echo Loose Park - I take my dog there all the time and there are plenty of dog walkers. I believe Stoll Park in Johnson County has an off-leash dog park - that's not too far away from Deanna Rose - its off 119th and Quivira. Shawnee Mission Park is a great park, but it is massive!

Hope you enjoy your stay and welcome to Kansas City! Let us know how everything goes!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDBLues View Post

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Good luck with that! We just traveled over 600 miles with two adults and a cat in the car in a kennel. It's hard to imagine traveling with two "big" dogs! My fingers are crossed for ya man! Best of luck with that one!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
The American Royal is a uniquely Kansas City event and appropriate for the whole family. http://www.americanroyal.com

Mickey Mouse and the "Walt Disney Express" is making a special appearance at Union Station this Sat. from 10am-noon to celebrate Walt Disney's love for trains. Special artwork from the Disney vaults is advertised as accompanying this traveling event.

Pete & Mac's offers "Doggie Daycare" just be sure to bring your dogs' upto date health records along and schedule ahead. http://www.petemac.com/daycare.shtml

The off-leash dog park at Shawnee Mission Park is considered among the best in town. http://www.jcprd.com/parks_facilitie...ee_mission.cfm

For on-leash, I concur with the previous recommendation of Loose Park (51st & Wornall Rd. KCMO).This is the best time to visit Missouri as our weather is crisp, clear and the changing leaves are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City