Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think this is actually a part of the issue, especially for people who come here from places where marriage doesn't play a big role in the local younger scene. When I moved here, I was already in a relationship, so I never experienced things firsthand, but for somebody new to the area who is, say,in their midtwenties and hasn't ever considered being married at that age, I could see a bit of culture shock going down. My coworkers are predominantly people in their twenties (I'm 33), and when I moved here and started working there, I was astounded at the percentage of them that are married, even those that are married and divorced and looking to get married again. For the average person who just wants to date, this can be a little discomfiting.
Agreed 100%. The whole notion of the early marriage culture makes it doubly hard for singles in their 20s and 30s due to the baggage issues associated with so many people getting remarried, separated, kids, etc. Much of it has to do with the large number of people who live in KC that area only a generation or two removed from the farm or rural town. Those rural areas tend to have a very large percentage of the population that get married at young ages. Therefore, the social culture of KC is more influenced by rural areas compared to larger urban metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I never saw the problem as a lack of singles, but a large native population and a relatively small transplanted population... I being the latter in this area.

I've been here a little over ten years, and most people I have met were born and raised here and have a social circle of mostly people that they've known most of their lives. Maybe not on purpose, but it really tips the scales towards cliqueishness.

A couple of years ago at work, they hired a younger single guy straight out of college from Ohio. He took the job, and moved here not knowing anyone or anything about the city. So of course, he had questions about it, tried to break the ice with coworkers. etc. In no time, I had coworkers (no surprise, lived here all their lives) being snarkey amongst themselves saying he just talked too much and was acting too needy, etc. I asked one of them if they ever had to leave their family and friends to take a job three states away where they knew nobody!!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, I jumped in. Gotta rep the KCMO!
When I was a little one, I lived in Lee's Summit with my mom and eventual first step monster.

KCMO is awesome that's all I can say. Especially when the Cheifs are puttin a whoopin on the Denver Donkies (done to accentuate femininty). EEEEAWE!

I'm looking forward to a visit next spring. Arthur Byrant's here I come!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agreed 100%. The whole notion of the early marriage culture makes it doubly hard for singles in their 20s and 30s due to the baggage issues associated with so many people getting remarried, separated, kids, etc. Much of it has to do with the large number of people who live in KC that area only a generation or two removed from the farm or rural town. Those rural areas tend to have a very large percentage of the population that get married at young ages. Therefore, the social culture of KC is more influenced by rural areas compared to larger urban metros.
I dunno, I came here from a rural farm town, myself, and it wasn't even that bad in my hometown. KC is about ten times as churchy as my small hometown, which probably has a lot to do with it.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:46 AM

96 posts, read 298,812 times
You have to ask yourself what your looking for in a Woman. As a 26 year old single guy born and raised in Los Angeles county these women have nothing to offer me. So far what I have noticed about women from Johnson County:

1) Most of them are overweight and out of shape but try to act like they are gods gift to any man they meet.
2) Most of them marry young, really young. About 60% of them get divorced, some of them become single mothers and others escape unscathed without kids. None of them know how to cook or clean either.
3) They are irresponsible with money.
4) Most of them have at least one DUI.
5) Their life revolves around drinking, slutt**ng around like a little wh*re at a young age but then acting like they a good little school girl to coworkers and family.
6) A lot of them are drug users or heavy smokers.
7) They have a skewed concept of what they think is important in the world, they idolize KU and other "Jayhawk's" rarely venturing out of their social circle that they created in college (Very Sad).
8) They're idea of traveling is going to "Cali" or "Las Vegas", staying at some 3 star hotel with friends and drinking.
9) They're emotionally unstable because they grew up in a sheltered area (Johnson County), don't like conflict and cry easily.
10) They're manipulative users who will try and use for petty things at any cost and feel no harm in doing so.

So if you like fat alcoholic women who like to Sl*t around behind your back and think that KU sports is the entire world then by all means go ahead.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM

75 posts, read 143,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrat View Post
You have to ask yourself what your looking for in a Woman. As a 26 year old single guy born and raised in Los Angeles county these women have nothing to offer me. So far what I have noticed about women from Johnson County:

1) Most of them are overweight and out of shape but try to act like they are gods gift to any man they meet.
2) Most of them marry young, really young. About 60% of them get divorced, some of them become single mothers and others escape unscathed without kids. None of them know how to cook or clean either.
3) They are irresponsible with money.
4) Most of them have at least one DUI.
5) Their life revolves around drinking, slutt**ng around like a little wh*re at a young age but then acting like they a good little school girl to coworkers and family.
6) A lot of them are drug users or heavy smokers.
7) They have a skewed concept of what they think is important in the world, they idolize KU and other "Jayhawk's" rarely venturing out of their social circle that they created in college (Very Sad).
8) They're idea of traveling is going to "Cali" or "Las Vegas", staying at some 3 star hotel with friends and drinking.
9) They're emotionally unstable because they grew up in a sheltered area (Johnson County), don't like conflict and cry easily.
10) They're manipulative users who will try and use for petty things at any cost and feel no harm in doing so.

So if you like fat alcoholic women who like to Sl*t around behind your back and think that KU sports is the entire world then by all means go ahead.

I grew up in KC and now I live in Fullerton and the women here
ain't much better. But I know where you're coming from.

Different locale, different set of issues. The women here are EXTREMELY
shallow, covered in tats, use meth, emulate the Kardashians and are obsessed with USC.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2014 at 02:18 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJon View Post

I grew up in KC and now I live in Fullerton and the women here
ain't much better. But I know where you're coming from.

Different locale, different set of issues. The women here are EXTREMELY
shallow, covered in tats, use meth, emulate the Kardashians and are obsessed with USC.
I'll see your Orange County women and raise you Bay Area women.

Anyone unhappy with the women of Johnson County needs only to spend a few weeks out here to have things back in proper perspective. Oh.....what I took for granted when I lived there.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'll see your Orange County women and raise you Bay Area women.

Anyone unhappy with the women of Johnson County needs only to spend a few weeks out here to have things back in proper perspective. Oh.....what I took for granted when I lived there.
I will take your 80-90k a year tech job and trade you my 50-60k one here. That way I can travel more, oh yes I would also like the nonstop flights to Asia.

Maybe we have it all wrong, maybe we need to get out of America and leave the feminist the country to crash and burn

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrat View Post
I will take your 80-90k a year tech job and trade you my 50-60k one here. That way I can travel more, oh yes I would also like the nonstop flights to Asia.

Maybe we have it all wrong, maybe we need to get out of America and leave the feminist the country to crash and burn
You must of missed Olathe. Lots of far right social conservatives there... Overland Park is very corporate and still has a flashy new money culture compared to most places, but is more fiscally conservative. The social culture of JOCO is just bizzare and I won't ever begin to understand it. Oh, south JOCO might as well be SoCal these days as the populace there likes to believe.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2014 at 02:17 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM

I think it's worse out here, and I'm Jay-hawked out for the rest of my life. Never in the world have I lived in a place where people judge you on the school you went to. These people give USC kids a run for their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City