Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 AM

45 posts, read 139,668 times

Advertisements

We may be moving in the near future from Baltimore Md to Mo/Kansas. My husband's job will be in Olathe KS. I am not familiar with the area but we definitely want to take the commute/traffic into consideration as well as cost of homes and future resale value. Of the many areas we are considering Lee's Summit is in the top 5 on our list. Is there anyone who makes this commute or something similar? If the trip from Lee's Summit is too much is there another area on the MO side that is closer that we should consider (I definitely want to stay close to I-435). Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM

26,445 posts, read 46,708,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truzella View Post
We may be moving in the near future from Baltimore Md to Mo/Kansas. My husband's job will be in Olathe KS. I am not familiar with the area but we definitely want to take the commute/traffic into consideration as well as cost of homes and future resale value. Of the many areas we are considering Lee's Summit is in the top 5 on our list. Is there anyone who makes this commute or something similar? If the trip from Lee's Summit is too much is there another area on the MO side that is closer that we should consider (I definitely want to stay close to I-435). Any feedback would be appreciated.
It would be very helpful if you indicated what your price range is? The commute from Olathe to Lee's Summit is one of the worst in the KC metro area. I would not really advise it. It also depends on what type of neighborhood or development you want as well. JOCO as many types of developments from old to new with many price points. If you want a more established "neighborhood" like feel I would suggest northern areas of Overland Park (north of I-435), northern Leawood, KS, and Prairie Village, KS. Many are rediscovering these older established neighborhoods. You will find older houses along with some teardowns/rebuilds. In terms of RE appreciation this area will be slow to appreciate. Most suburban cities in the KC metro do not experience very much appreciation at all. I would definitely avoid Olathe for the most part unless you like cheap cookie cutter construction with few trees. (A few exceptions in Olathe would be areas to the immediate south of K-10, west of I-435.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Thank you, this is helpful information. My husband is currently commuting 1.25 hrs a day and wants to reduce his commute time. As far as price there are so many variables right now, thus the wide price range $300-$400k. I have read quite a bit about Prairie Village as well as Leawood. If at all possible I would like to build, but that may be out of the question. If we can't build I would want a newer home say built within the last several years What type of house would we be able to get in these areas for the 300-400 range?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you, this is helpful information. My husband is currently commuting 1.25 hrs a day and wants to reduce his commute time. As far as price there are so many variables right now, thus the wide price range $300-$400k. I have read quite a bit about Prairie Village as well as Leawood. If at all possible I would like to build, but that may be out of the question. If we can't build I would want a newer home say built within the last several years What type of house would we be able to get in these areas for the 300-400 range?
In the 300-400K range you will have great options in JOCO. I would advise looking at Leawood, KS if you are looking for more of an upscale area. "Old Leawood" is generally along and north of I-435. This area is more established (40-50 years old) with lots of trees. The newer part of Leawood is south of I-435 and has newer construction. This area of Leawood has a plethora of custom built homes that are quite expensive. Old Leawood has more of a Midwest or New England flavor while new Leawood has more of a sunbelt/California flavor. It all depends what type of development or "lifestyle" you are looking for.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 PM

After giving the situation more thought we would most likely be in the $300-$325 range. With that being said, can anyone give me an idea of what the annual ppty tax would be?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
After giving the situation more thought we would most likely be in the $300-$325 range. With that being said, can anyone give me an idea of what the annual ppty tax would be?
In Johnson County, KS Overland Park tends to have the lowest property tax rate. A 300K house there will probably run 3-3.5K in property taxes. Leawood has higher taxes due to less of a commercial tax base. Leawood is almost entirely residential. Overland Park has: residential as well as lots of commercial development that includes dozens of office parks.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM

That's interesting. We are paying that rate in Baltimore. I would have thought the ppty taxes would be less....

One more question about the Lee's Summit to Olathe commute. Would the commute be as brutal if we left for work between 6 and 6:30 a.m.? We are trying to make the Lee's Summit arrangement work since we have family there. They really don't know about the commute since they are retired and don't make the drive. On the flip side, what about DeSoto for housing prices/commute to Olathe?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. We are paying that rate in Baltimore. I would have thought the ppty taxes would be less....

One more question about the Lee's Summit to Olathe commute. Would the commute be as brutal if we left for work between 6 and 6:30 a.m.? We are trying to make the Lee's Summit arrangement work since we have family there. They really don't know about the commute since they are retired and don't make the drive. On the flip side, what about DeSoto for housing prices/commute to Olathe?

The traffic would be lighter between 6-6:30AM. If you are coming from Baltimore the traffic volumes on I-435 might not bother you... The commute would be 35-40min one way depending on what side of Olathe you are talking about.

In terms of working in KS and living in MO- I think it is more of a pain when it comes to figuring taxes. It just is easier to live and work in the same state IMO.

DeSoto is more on the rural side... The town has about 6000 people and is a mixture of residential and farms. The commute would be good. Housing is a little bit more spendy in DeSoto with some houses on larger lots along with some horse properties. You could definitely find a very nice property in the 200-300K range there. The commute would be 20min or less from that area.

I would also avoid Gardner. I don't care for SW JOCO much at all. It feels like central Kansas out in that direction... If you have any other questions about the area send me a DM. I lived in the KC metro area for 20+ years.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-26-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
. I would have thought the ppty taxes would be less....
The level of services you get for those property taxes in Johnson County are very good. The school districts (Shawnee Mission & Blue Valley) are rated very highly. Roads are very well maintained. Snow is cleared efficiently (when it snows). JCCC is well-funded and well regarded. The job market in Johnson County tends to be almost exculsively white collar. Educational attainment levels are quite high with about 50% of the population holding at least a Bachelors Degree in Overland Park. The road network is set up in a grid pattern with numbered streets going east/west & increasing as you go south. Johnson County is an entirely suburban county for the most part, and saw most of its population growth following WWII. White flight from KC, MO led to huge population gains and job growth gains starting in the 50s and 60s and continuing to the present day. Many claim that JOCO stole a number of jobs from KC, MO. The border war between KS and MO is alive and well so I would keep that in the back of your mind.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,949,107 times
KC does not have traffic.

It slows down in KC sometimes, that's it. The commute from LS to Olathe looks bad, but the delay is typically less then ten minutes.

Yes, that's right. Ten freaking minutes. So, the 20-30 minute drive might take 30-40 during rush hour.

Now if there is a bad wreck or bad weather, it can take up to an hour to make that commute, but that would be rare.

Lee's Summit is VERY different than Overland Park and Johnson County in general. It's built around lakes and parks. The topography is more diverse.

So keep that in mind.

But if you just want a nice suburban area, I would just live in Overland Park or Shawnee.

Olathe is a god awful place in my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City