Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:27 AM

20 posts, read 86,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Their are definitely consequences for all of this growth in Olathe. Traffic on Interstate 35 continues to get worse every year. The city thinks that any growth is good growth even if it means more ugly big box stores and strip malls EVERYWHERE. I would think Olathe has enough shopping on Santa Fe already compared with any other town in Kansas. Also the mill levy rates on the schools continue to increase as well as the property taxes. A lot of this is because of the crazy demographics in the area. According to the census bureau over 30% of the population in Olathe and Gardner is under the age of 18. The citizens have to pay for all these new schools, infrastructure, and other items with all the uncontrolled suburban sprawl. Another thing that I do not like about Olathe is that nearly all of the housing is cookie cutter. The last time I checked this was not Arizona, and I do not understand why everything has to have the stucco exterior look.
I much prefer the variety of housing stock and architectural styles that Overland Park has to offer. Their are plenty of neighborhoods that actually have shade trees, unlike most areas of Olathe that were built on corn fields. Real estate prices in central and northern areas of Overland Park are reasonable for a large metro area with 3-4 bedroom houses selling for 220K-275K in established neighborhoods.
In terms of the economy both are doing fairly well in terms of employment. I would expect that the economy in Olathe is growing faster based on all of the construction type jobs related to the suburban sprawl type developments. Sprint has its World Headquarters in Overland Park, but has laid off people in recent years. Olathe has companies like Garmin and Honeywell that are big in the area.
Kudos to you! I agree with you. Olathe used to be fquiet community, it isn't anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 20,468 times
Does anyone know how close overland park is to the BNSF yard?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinCali View Post
Does anyone know how close overland park is to the BNSF yard?
I believe that you are referenceing the inter-modal hub that will be constructed near Gardner. Gardner is a good distance away from Overland Park to the southwest. Many people put their houses up for sale in Gardner when they announced that they would build this project. Therefore, property values are hurting and it has become a less desirable place to move to.
Overland Park is just like any other large suburban city. The city has over 165,000 people and has all the immenities and many different types of jobs to choose from. I would avoid living anywhere near I-435 because of the noise issues, though.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
I prefer OP vs Olathe mainly because of the infrastructures. I hear many complaints about it being difficult to find your way around Olathe, and I join them! OPs streets are much easier to find your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: