Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 09:34 PM

14,502 posts, read 9,444,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't post because of KCMO and KCKS being lumped together even though they are very dissimilar. The person running that has obviously never lived in KC.
Even so, the two cities together are part of one metropolitan area.

Minneapolis and St. Paul don't get their own forums. Nor do San Francisco and Oakland. Dallas and Fort Worth do because 30 miles separate them. The two Kansas Cities are next-door neighbors like Minneapolis and St. Paul. And even though Kansas and Missouri are different states, the metropolitan area is a single entity that transcends the state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2024, 12:06 PM

20,009 posts, read 10,403,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Even so, the two cities together are part of one metropolitan area.

Minneapolis and St. Paul don't get their own forums. Nor do San Francisco and Oakland. Dallas and Fort Worth do because 30 miles separate them. The two Kansas Cities are next-door neighbors like Minneapolis and St. Paul. And even though Kansas and Missouri are different states, the metropolitan area is a single entity that transcends the state line.
But both sides are completely different.

Old 07-10-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
But both sides are completely different.
That's less important outside the area than you think it is. Visit anyplace in New Jersey, for instance. The state is carved up between New York and Philadelphia, but you can tell you're in neither when you are in Newark, or Camden, or Cherry Hill, or Montclair, and so on.

State lines do make a difference, but one as easy to cross as the Missouri-Kansas border blurs that difference somewhat. Yes, you can distinguish Mission Hills from the Country Club District, but the same guy developed both. If the Chiefs move to Kansas, Missourians will travel to the stadium to watch the games. The reason most of the important civic facilities are in Missouri is because the city in Missouri is the oldest and biggest municipality in the region. Overland Park's status as the second-largest city in the region and in Kansas is of relatively recent origin — and I certainly wouldn't confuse OP with the 'Dotte, while we're about emphasizing differences. And Johnson County as we have come to know it wouldn't exist had Kansas City, Mo., not become a sizable city first. (Kansas City, Kan., would probably have come into existence anyway because of the location, but the trails ran through Westport, so the town where they could offload goods headed there grew first).

And while I'm thinking of it, let's stay on one side of the state line: would you say that Kansas City and Independence are the same place?

Hundreds of neighborhoods, 90 municipalities, 14 counties, two states, one metropolitan area.

Old 07-10-2024, 11:34 AM

20,009 posts, read 10,403,934 times
Quote:
That's less important outside the area than you think it is. Visit anyplace in New Jersey, for instance. The state is carved up between New York and Philadelphia, but you can tell you're in neither when you are in Newark, or Camden, or Cherry Hill, or Montclair, and so on.

State lines do make a difference, but one as easy to cross as the Missouri-Kansas border blurs that difference somewhat. Yes, you can distinguish Mission Hills from the Country Club District, but the same guy developed both. If the Chiefs move to Kansas, Missourians will travel to the stadium to watch the games. The reason most of the important civic facilities are in Missouri is because the city in Missouri is the oldest and biggest municipality in the region. Overland Park's status as the second-largest city in the region and in Kansas is of relatively recent origin — and I certainly wouldn't confuse OP with the 'Dotte, while we're about emphasizing differences. And Johnson County as we have come to know it wouldn't exist had Kansas City, Mo., not become a sizable city first. (Kansas City, Kan., would probably have come into existence anyway because of the location, but the trails ran through Westport, so the town where they could offload goods headed there grew first).

And while I'm thinking of it, let's stay on one side of the state line: would you say that Kansas City and Independence are the same place?

Hundreds of neighborhoods, 90 municipalities, 14 counties, two states, one metropolitan area.
And very dissimilar. I worked all over the area.

Old 07-10-2024, 03:20 PM

30 posts, read 36,438 times
Quote:
It is ONE metro area. Not really that hard to understand. Not sure why you think they wouldn't be grouped together. All the metro areas are grouped together on here. And guess what, all the other metro areas across the country aren't identical in every community across the metro.

Old 07-10-2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
SO. WHAT?

Did the point I made about New Jersey vs. Pennsylvania fly over your head?

Most bi- or multi-state metropolitan areas have areas that differ widely in character.

That does not make them separate metropolises, as you seem to want to assert.

The satellite centers remain satellites of the core city, not separate metropolitan centers of their own.

Were Kansas City, Kan., Kansas City, Mo.'s size rather than half of it, it would be treated like St. Paul is relative to similarly-sized Minneapolis. But it's not. So it gets treated like Camden, N.J., relative to Philadelphia.

And again, Ramsey County, Minn. (St. Paul) is not treated as something separate from Hennepin County (Minneapolis).

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Following myself up to remark further:

Quote:
SO. WHAT?

That does not make them separate metropolises, as you seem to want to assert.
Actually, Floorist, judging from the comments you make in this forum, you seem to consider KCMo the seventh circle of Hell.

This puts you in the same league as those suburban Philadelphians who used to act as though nothing at all would change were an H-bomb to be dropped on Broad and Market (a local shorthand for Philadelphia City Hall, which sits astride the intersection) the next day.

Those suburbanites have since come around to understand that a healthier core city means a healthier region.

The same applies to Kansas City.

While I haven't lived there in years, I've long associated that attitude with Johnson Countians. It doesn't help Greater Kansas City any more than the similar attitude among Main Liners helped Greater Philadelphia.

If you're from the 'Dotte, your solicitousness of the smaller Kansas City is touching, but you're going about repping it the wrong way. Otherwise, you remind me why my cousins often refer to JoCo with a three-word phrase whose middle word begins with F.

Old Today, 03:07 PM

11,216 posts, read 8,115,763 times
Says the only one to ever post in it.

Kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City