Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Kansas City and seeking information on the following:

1) Asian American kids population area with best schools - Elementary and Middle school
3) Single-family homes with the asian American community population

Thanks in advance
KH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,877 times
A quick and terse reply would be, I doubt you will be finding anything different in the way of "communities of asians" in the Kansas City area than what you have in Florida.

The state of Florida has about 2.4% asian-americans. The greater Kansas City area is much the same, about 2.5%

If you are coming to KC Metro because you must, then you will find an Indian Assoc. here, but this is mainly umbrella organization covering the very wide metropolitan area covering 5 counties, in two different states, Kansas and Missouri.

Last edited by Moman; 07-11-2019 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: misread post

Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khiran2t View Post
We are relocating to Kansas City and seeking information on the following:

1) Asian American kids population area with best schools - Elementary and Middle school
3) Single-family homes with the asian American community population

Thanks in advance
KH
I like your numbering

First of all, there is no "asian American community" in KC. You might find occasionally 1-2 asian kids in a class, but that's it.
As for schools - are you looking private or public?
Public is definitely Blue Valley district. Leawood, OP, Olathe. Try to not go too far south. Somewhere between W 127 and W 143 is a good place to look for.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 AM

264 posts, read 250,400 times
What's your budget?

Also there isn't really any Asian American communities concentrated in any schools in the metro. I know for private the Pembroke schools have a decent amount of Indians. As for public, the Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, Lee's Summit, Park Hill, North Kansas City schools are "diverse" for KC standards and as a result you will find more Asians in them. I went to Park Hill as an Asian American and there were maybe 40-ish Asians as an estimate when I was there.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
There are a lot of Asian/Indian students in the Blue Valley district.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM

36 posts, read 38,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
This is true. I live in the BV School District. One neighborhood I remember being told has a particularly large Indian population is Blackthorne. I have no idea why that is. I've also heard that Overland Trail Elementary and Middle Schools have large Asian populations. But regardless, the BV schools are considered to be at the top of the metro school districts (along with a few other districts) and there is a noticeable Indian contingent within the district.

Now I'm going to wax somewhat political. I get that you want to be around people you have something in common with. Completely understandable. But please, when you move to whatever school you move to, interact with the "white folk" too. Be part of the larger community. At our kids' elementary school, there are a large number of Asians (various parts) and other nationalities. Very few of them participate in functions outside the normal school day. We have fairs and auctions and dad's night and mom's night and book fairs and lots of other stuff (not to mention the sports). The vast majority of the non-white people don't participate. It's disappointing. As a group, they also don't pay the suggested donations for field trips and those extracurricular events at as high a rate (although they're certainly not the only ones). I know from speaking with other parents that everyone, regardless of background, is more than welcome and there is some disappointment that there isn't more participation among the non-white groups.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
My sister-in-law is Asian, and graduated from Shawnee Mission West within the past four years. West is at this point the most ethnically diverse high school in Johnson County, with 43% of the student body non-Caucasian. I don't know the statistical breakdown of Asian/Indian students, specifically, but I do know anecdotally that when I went to her activities, she was never sticking out like a sore thumb in a sea of anglo kids. Her friends and peers were a multiculturally diverse crowd, but she was never the "token Asian" or anything like that.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Seriously? Things must have changed in last 10 years.
When my daughter was in Harmony Middle, it was just one Chinese girl and 3 boys from India in her class.
Interesting...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Seriously? Things must have changed in last 10 years.
When my daughter was in Harmony Middle, it was just one Chinese girl and 3 boys from India in her class.
Interesting...
Definitely a lot of change.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,991 times
According to Greatschools, Harmony Middle is 17% Asian

https://www.greatschools.org/kansas/...hool/#Students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: