Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM

418 posts, read 1,281,324 times

Advertisements

Is it even going to happen with our current Mayor? Don't get me wrong i'm not anti-Funkhouser... I just don't think he is dedicated too it, especially with as much as he criticized Kay Barnes for spending so much, when she did TONS to help revitalize downtown.

I feel Kansas City could be an even better city, if more was done to get this resolved. I read they were even considering a subway here but I highly doubt that would even happen.

We suffer from sprawl, but I feel the answer is in rail. Connecting the suburbs and building more New Urbanism developments and walkable communities. Downtown still can have a lot more done to it also, and i'm sure it will continue to grow and improve. We need to attract more large corporations to build downtown.

I don't know about anyone else, but i'm spending close to 80 bucks a week in gas, and that's with me limiting how much I drive when i'm off work. Prices are only going to up. With environmental benefits and the money people would save in the long run, I don't understand what's taking so long.

At least it appears if we go forward we aren't going to bother waiting on Kansas, which I think if it DOES happen here it will be a huge loss for Kansas not to get in on it now.

Any thoughts on what the average citizen can do to help? I feel we need to keep building up downtown/midtown/plaza areas and focus on the core, but also with all the new urbanism popping up (new town at liberty, zona rosa, Park Place, etc..) I think the trend is definitley more walkable communities, and the answer is to connect these with rail. Hell i'd be all for a tram system to get around from Plaza/Midtown/Downtown (I was very impressed when I was in Helsinki with rail connecting so MANY areas and then to get around easier in the city they used trams)

I'm sure it's a lot easier said then done, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be done and for the benefit of everyone. When Jesse Ventura said he wanted Light Rail in the twin cities, they had it 5 years later and it had a higher ridership then they ever expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
The question of the century....
A lot of the suburbanites I know seem to actually like the car culture they live in. I don't understand it, personally. Some of them think it would be "neat", and it would be something they would only use when relatives came to town, as they go to show off another aspect of the city. Since Kansas City is heavily suburban, even much of the city itself, getting those people on board would be a big help.

Getting all the different municipalities on board with their influence and money, would also go a long way. It would have to be the right ones, of course. For instance, if a line went from Independence to the downtown area, I think a lot of people ride it. Independence has a lot of people that work in KC, and a lot of them are middle-to-lower income. They would gladly give up paying $3 a gallon to keep their cars going. I think Gladstone and North Kansas City would receive it well, also. Kansas City, Kansas, too.

Leewood? Lee's Summit? Dealing with those would probably be a waste of time. Maybe get some of the older 'burbs in JoCo on board, since their attitudes might be more open to it.

Clay Chastain's route wasn't bad, really. I think going from the airport, to Zona Rosa, then cutting across to Gladstone, then down to NKC and downtown, would be better. Also, from central Independence to the stadiums, on over to Union Station, would be a smart line to include. That way, not only workers, but also crowds from the ballgames, could find their way back to hotels and entertainment, without having to navigate a city they may not be familiar with.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 56,873 times
I think the light rail will be a waste of money. There is already the MAX bus route right where the proposed line will be so why waste hundreds of millions on light rail infrastucture when you already have the bus routes which do the exact same thing.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_weava View Post
I think the light rail will be a waste of money. There is already the MAX bus route right where the proposed line will be so why waste hundreds of millions on light rail infrastucture when you already have the bus routes which do the exact same thing.
The bus system in Kansas City is quite good. However, it has limitations. Buses take longer since they do not have the same right-of-ways. Only light rail and streetcars encourage development along them. For many people, a railed train or streetcar psychologically influences more people to take it. Here in Mpls, there was a city bus that took about the same route as the light rail -- nobody used it. Now the train is used by tourists, residents, workers, even Twins fans. Hundreds of new housing units are being built along side the stations. Plus, once trains are built they are pretty self-sufficient. Roads are maintenence intensive, and not particularly cheaper (esp. when you add the secondary costs). The federal government pays 50 to 75% of the costs anyways.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Light rail sounds fine and I vote yes every time.

But the KC area has a very small bus system for its size. Any light rail plan needs to also include a major improvement of the bus system, especially outside the central city.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM

82 posts, read 355,179 times
Default subway instead?

Maybe if Kansas City doesn't get this light rail started now then later it could get a subway system which would be better because you can build above the line instead of using ground level space for the line.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 AM

418 posts, read 1,281,324 times
I think a subway system would be great, and have heard the limestone under Kansas City would be good for building one. Who knows if it will happen however.

What Minnehahapolitan said is on point. Personally I would be happy with doing away with buses in KC, if we could get a better rail system in place.

Currently, most of the time, buses are used by people who don't have access to cars. I won't ride the bus, why would I? It's not faster or more convenient. Rail normally has right of way, runs quicker. It's cheaper to maintain and better for the environment then a legion of buses out there on the road.

And of course it would help tourism, if people came to KC and could get around easier. When I travel a city that has rail I ride it... if they have buses, I rent a car. Kansas City has a lot of communities, and it would be great if rail was used to connect them.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
You'll always need buses to have a comprehensive transit system. Even Chicago, which has great breadth of coverage, still has many areas of the city that are 2 miles or more from the closest el stop. But, as others have said, few people have any reason to take a bus, and there's a certain stigma of poverty attached to buses that is less glaring with light rail.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
A light rail line to bring people from the areas of Harrisonville and north would be beneficial imo. Why couldn't they equip busses to run on existing tracks that are not in use. The railroads have the equipment on the larger trucks. A line that is not now in use runs all the way to Clinton. That would mean a person could ride the rail to Clinton and then access the Katy Trail.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_weava View Post

You can't be serious....

This city needs Light Rail desperately. We are trying to boost our downtown and that wont full happen until we have reliable public transportation to get people down there. The bus system is slow and takes forever to get from the 'burbs to downtown.

I would love to be able to go out and have a good time without worrying about limiting my drinking because I have to drive home. I dont go out a lot but one of the things that really hampers the times I do is the fact that I have to drive home after a night out.

If KC wants to be a major city and attract events and tourist, we need Light Rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City