Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,620 times

Advertisements

We are considering a home in the Highland Crest area of KCK. I have heard about that area having a lot of crime. Is it as bad as they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfstudent View Post
We are considering a home in the Highland Crest area of KCK. I have heard about that area having a lot of crime. Is it as bad as they say?
I think that's the area my grandmother lived in for many years - lots of tiny, 2 bdr., no basement, houses. Or maybe it was Turner. It was extremely cheap, but a horrible and depressing place to live. It was close to nothing in terms of retail and restaurants, crime was an issue, and people seemed to be living in poverty.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,195 times
Some of the statistics on the internet say 75% of the people in Highland Crest live at or below poverty

Old 08-19-2017, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
My family the Benders lived in Highland Crest from the year 1952-53 We lived at Hageman and 50th street. My parents and 4 boys and 2 girls. We all went to Oakgrove School then Highland Jr High , and the Turner High School.
I live with my parents until 1972 in Highland Crest when I got married. We didn't have much crime at all during the years that I live in Highland Crest except for around 1965 somebody threw acid on our dog . One year at Oakgrove school we had 1800 students going to the school, so many that they had to bring in some mobile homes to use for classes .

Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 PM

22 posts, read 88,946 times
Lived 25 years about a mile south of that area and knew many folks who lived in that subdivision.

Highland Crest is a subdivison developed in response to the major 1951 KCK flood. A developer bought 200 acres in extreme rural south KCK and built hundreds of cheap spec 2 bedroom 1 bath homes on that tract within a year. They were highly successful since the entire subdivision was totally sold out by the winter of 1952. Many displaced families from the Argentine and Armourdale districts spent $5k of their insurance settlements to buy those cheap homes brand spankin’ new.

Most of the original residents lived there until they died off in the 1980’s and 1990’s when their poorly maintained homes were eventually sold off as rentals by siblings that had no use for them.

You can easily buy one of these basic homes in the $60k region even today... but this area has never been considered “affulent” in the least even when new. You’re basically buying a small cheap home that was only meant to last 20 to 30 years at best. Most require tons of upgrades and improvements to bring them into the 21st century.

The crime rate in this area is “fair”. You have lots of low income folks living very close together among tons of $500-$600 monthly rentals. We’re talking a fair share of petty crime (theft, vandalism, etc).

Nothing is within walking distance of this area except for the retail that exists around 47th & Shawnee Drive... and all that has changed hands a million times since the 1970’s. No retail has ever been terribly successful anywhere within that area.

In my opinion... save up an additional $10k-$20k or so and buy a small starter home in northern Johnson County (Merriam, Shawnee, Mission). MUCH safer area and you’ll actually have an investment when you eventually want to upgrade in a few years.

Highland Crest is pretty much stagnant and dead. There’s basically nothing you can do to improve in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City