Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Because KCK itself it a suburb. Do you honestly think Olathe, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Leawood etc are suburbs of KCK? The only towns you might call suburbs of KCK are Bonner Springs and Edwardsville, but that would be like calling Blue Springs a suburb of Independence.
Nevertheless, they are in Kansas, so they should be in the Kansas forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
KC metro isn't big enough to need two subforums, just because a state line runs through it.

It's a little like Cincinnati. Their city subforum will discuss things in the parts of the metro area that are in Kentucky.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:22 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
KC metro isn't big enough to need two subforums, just because a state line runs through it.

It's a little like Cincinnati. Their city subforum will discuss things in the parts of the metro area that are in Kentucky.
I don't think it's as much about size. The KS side of KC is much larger than Wichita, which has its own sub forum.

I think it's just because it's one metropolitan area. Generally if you are having a discussion about Overland Park or Lee's Summit, you are having a discussion about topics related to Kansas City in general, not just those specific suburbs.

The kc metro forum has to be placed somewhere, and since it's based on the Missouri side, that's where the KC sub forum is located. Just like Northern Kentucky suburbs are discussed in the Ohio forum.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't think it's as much about size. The KS side of KC is much larger than Wichita, which has its own sub forum.

I think it's just because it's one metropolitan area. Generally if you are having a discussion about Overland Park or Lee's Summit, you are having a discussion about topics related to Kansas City in general, not just those specific suburbs.

The kc metro forum has to be placed somewhere, and since it's based on the Missouri side, that's where the KC sub forum is located. Just like Northern Kentucky suburbs are discussed in the Ohio forum.
No wonder people not from the area get confused.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Don't know if this video has ever been posted or not but it explains a little bit about the KCK/KCMO issue:

How did Kansas City, Missouri, get its name? | The Kansas City Star

This Kansas history teacher even admits that KCK was founded for reasons of,

You could argue that the whole territory of Kansas was formed as an attempt to piggyback on the success of that great city of Missouri. Back then, and still today KCK/JOCO piggyback.

And as for that one article that said KCMO is the legitimate outgrowth of Kansas, it actually is the other way around. KCMO was first and thrived first, its outgrowth to the west was solely because of piggybacking reasons.
All the regional in-fighting you hear about that comes from the Kansas City area makes much more sense now. History really does repeat itself.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

This is why they should rearrange the forum, so that metro forums can stand on their own, without having to be subforums under a state category. The state categories can still be there as catch-alls, but don't need that parent-child relationship with metro forums.

That would at least solve all the questions about why the WyCo and JoCo stuff is in the Missouri forum. (Which I'm sure comes up with other metros like Cincinnati, Portland or St. Louis, if less often.)

Old 03-28-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
This is why they should rearrange the forum, so that metro forums can stand on their own, without having to be subforums under a state category. The state categories can still be there as catch-alls, but don't need that parent-child relationship with metro forums.

That would at least solve all the questions about why the WyCo and JoCo stuff is in the Missouri forum. (Which I'm sure comes up with other metros like Cincinnati, Portland or St. Louis, if less often.)
The real answer is that the Kansas cities belong in the Kansas forum. Most of the people who live in the burbs on either side will not say they live in KC. Each little city has its own identity. I lived in Indep and Buckner for 20 years, I never felt like I was part of KC.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The real answer is that the Kansas cities belong in the Kansas forum. Most of the people who live in the burbs on either side will not say they live in KC. Each little city has its own identity. I lived in Indep and Buckner for 20 years, I never felt like I was part of KC.
I'm curious where you're getting this idea from. I have a strong feeling almost all Independence residents thoroughly identify with the KC metro. Likewise, everyone in the 5-county region, on both sides of the state line, almost certainly say they're from "Kansas City" or "The Kansas City area" or at least "near Kansas City" when traveling. And they're not referring to KCK.

Again, I did say "strong feeling" so I could be wrong. But I'd like to hear your side of this.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I'm curious where you're getting this idea from. I have a strong feeling almost all Independence residents thoroughly identify with the KC metro. Likewise, everyone in the 5-county region, on both sides of the state line, almost certainly say they're from "Kansas City" or "The Kansas City area" or at least "near Kansas City" when traveling. And they're not referring to KCK.

Again, I did say "strong feeling" so I could be wrong. But I'd like to hear your side of this.
I lived in Indep and Buckner for 20 years. If you were to ask someone where they lived, it was always, Blue Springs, Lees Summit, Overland Park, Olathe, etc. No one says they live in KC, unless they live in KC. And I worked all over the metro, from Kearney to Belton, from Buckner to KCK.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:53 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I lived in Indep and Buckner for 20 years. If you were to ask someone where they lived, it was always, Blue Springs, Lees Summit, Overland Park, Olathe, etc. No one says they live in KC, unless they live in KC. And I worked all over the metro, from Kearney to Belton, from Buckner to KCK.
But would they say that if they were, say, visiting Philadelphia?

I ran into a woman who now lives in Vermont on Walnut Street here one day. I wouldn't have learned that about her had she not seen me wearing an "I (heart) KC" T-shirt and called out to me.

She had on a Worlds of Fun T-shirt. We got to talking Old Home Week stuff, and when we got to the part about what schools she went to, she said, "Shawnee Mission South."

Conversely, someone who would say they live "on the Main Line" or "in Abington" or "in Cherry Hill" or "in Delaware County" or (...) while within striking distance of Philadelphia City Hall would probably tell you they were from Philadelphia if you were to run into them on the Country Club Plaza.

That's where you see the metropolitan affinity surface - once you've left the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City