Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:15 PM

11,114 posts, read 24,132,183 times

Advertisements

This time it's the Missouri side.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...city-move.html

This is a no win situation for KC. These kinds of incentives are pretty rare even when a city brings in a new company from out of their metro area. To do this to move jobs across metro KC is just insane.

I'm sure they got incentives when they moved from KCMO to JoCo in 2006. This company will move back to Kansas within ten years and get another 20 million or more.

Does KCMO even need to do this? I mean, KCMO brings in the vast majority of jobs to the metro as it is right now. I guess this is mostly state incentives so not much harm to KCMO, but I can see Kansas finally calling for a truce after this and the recent poaching of Freightquote from Lenexa to KCMO.

Quote:
Swiss Re, which will be moving to One Kansas City Place in late 2018 from 5200 Metcalf Ave., "could access up to $19,824,701 through the Missouri Works program over the next five years," Maggie Kost, director of communications for the Missouri Department of Economic Development said.

The firm's current location became Swiss Re's second-largest U.S. office after the reinsurer bought GE Insurance Solutions in June 2006. Shortly thereafter, Swiss Re vacated GE Insurance Solution’s former headquarters at 9201 State Line at 9201 State Line Road in Kansas City and consolidated its area operations at 5200 Metcalf.

Now, Swiss Re's area workforce is moving back to the east side of the state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM

21,050 posts, read 9,855,536 times
Maybe they should merge KS and MO so they don't have this problem.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM

127 posts, read 134,446 times
Well, that sure is the opposite of the status quo. We'll probably see a lot more of this in the years to come.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM

26,526 posts, read 47,124,990 times
Both states need to come to an agreement on incentives and corporate welfare to this extent, or it will only continue to result in economic stagnation and decline relative to peer metro areas.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 PM

127 posts, read 134,446 times
I agree that this needs to stop... After Missouri gets back the amount of jobs that were originally poached by Kansas.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 PM

11,114 posts, read 24,132,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
I agree that this needs to stop... After Missouri gets back the amount of jobs that were originally poached by Kansas.
That's the only reason why Missouri is doing it now. MO at one time didn't want to offer these types of incentives for metro area companies, but then KS kept doing it to MO companies even after MO was like we gotta stop this. So now it's like MO is playing payback and MO is not taking their foot off the throat of KS. KS started it...

That's two really big moves to the MO side now after MO decided to play hardball with KS. The other was Freightquote.

Freightquote moves across state line into Kansas City, Mo. - KSHB.com 41 Action News

KS is not only losing badly at bringing new jobs to the metro, but it's now getting its butt kicked in the border war that it started. Over the past several years, the MO side has landed considerably more jobs in the border war and with less incentives per employee.

It's still a lose lose situation for metro KC, but I still say that jobs on the MO side have a much bigger positive impact on metro KC's overall health.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM

404 posts, read 464,015 times
Good. Keep doing it KC,MO. Kansas deserves some payback.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM

12,309 posts, read 9,846,369 times
Fascinating thread. So much fresh, new, and riveting content here that I suggest this:

After the last 2 or 3 disciples that we haven't yet heard from here leap onto the pile, we could sticky this thread and put the KC forum on autopilot. Just set it to generate a new copy thread twice a week and we'd have the same effervescent forum we've known for the last 10 years perpetuated with the same content....without the need for another keystroke.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,206,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Both states need to come to an agreement on incentives and corporate welfare to this extent, or it will only continue to result in economic stagnation and decline relative to peer metro areas.
A moderate Republican senator from KC North proposed and I think passed just such a piece of legislation, contingent on Kansas doing the same, but Kansas refused to pass similar legislation.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 PM

26,526 posts, read 47,124,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
A moderate Republican senator from KC North proposed and I think passed just such a piece of legislation, contingent on Kansas doing the same, but Kansas refused to pass similar legislation.
That doesn't surprise me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: