Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:38 PM

112 posts, read 99,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And when the kids have flown the coop, you and others like you will be the ones buying those condos in the city. Maybe you can help bring Armour Boulevard back - that is, if you aren't moving to some condo skyscraper yet to come in the South Loop, the only part of the city to date where no one complains about that kind of building.
Haha! Here's hoping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're moving into a new era in your life and will never be 18 to 39 again.

Today, your "sacrifice" is for your kids and, since you say they're young, you have a few years ahead of you to get accustomed to the deprivations involved with life in a peaceful, safe, and sane neighborhood.

In the years that follow, you'll continue your "sacrifice" for the sake of your grand-kids, so that they'll have a nice, safe yard to play in when they visit.

After that, in all likelihood, you'll feel you've earned the right to start "sacrificing" for your own sake, whether or not you ever admit that you've been a beneficiary all along.
Anything is possible, but I've been fascinated by cities almost as long as I can remember. I would spend free reading time in 5th grade looking up different cities in the World Book Encyclopedias in our room, and reading about them. I used to draw skylines in high school. I have many, many books about cities on my shelves. Wanting to live in an urban environment when I was 18 wasn't just a young adult having fun. It was fulfilling a childhood dream. So the chances of you being right about this are slim. But I can't predict the future (even my own) with 100% accuracy.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:38 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
Anything is possible, but I've been fascinated by cities almost as long as I can remember. I would spend free reading time in 5th grade looking up different cities in the World Book Encyclopedias in our room, and reading about them. I used to draw skylines in high school. I have many, many books about cities on my shelves. Wanting to live in an urban environment when I was 18 wasn't just a young adult having fun. It was fulfilling a childhood dream. So the chances of you being right about this are slim. But I can't predict the future (even my own) with 100% accuracy.
Just a note on your response, echoing rwiksell, by way of a personal tale:

You display more than a little grace in replying to CrownVic95 here.

The statement you replied to, though, is highly presumptuous, which is the quality that gets under my skin.

And I've done that too myself in the past: a fairly-full-of-himself-himself Harvardian called me "the most arrogant SOB I've met at Harvard" when I was in college.

And that's the tragedy: so many arrogant types don't recognize their own arrogance.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Just a note on your response, echoing rwiksell, by way of a personal tale:

You display more than a little grace in replying to CrownVic95 here.

The statement you replied to, though, is highly presumptuous, which is the quality that gets under my skin.

And I've done that too myself in the past: a fairly-full-of-himself-himself Harvardian called me "the most arrogant SOB I've met at Harvard" when I was in college.

And that's the tragedy: so many arrogant types don't recognize their own arrogance.
Thanks for the kind words. I've read enough of CrownVic95's posts to know that he and I won't agree on much. I don't get his point of view. He doesn't get mine. But I'd like to think I'm also able to acknowledge that there are legitimate points of view that are different than mine.

BTW, I also acknowledge that KC and its suburbs have many fine points. I could do a lot worse than living in suburban KC. I also can understand (though not relate to) why some people like the relatively slow pac here. I even know people who think KC is too big. I don't get it. But I understand their right to feel that way. Still, I will advocate for what I think will make KC a more interesting, exciting, dynamic and enticing place to be. KC has to evolve or it will wither on the vine.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I've read enough of CrownVic95's posts to know that he and I won't agree on much. I don't get his point of view. He doesn't get mine. But I'd like to think I'm also able to acknowledge that there are legitimate points of view that are different than mine.

BTW, I also acknowledge that KC and its suburbs have many fine points. I could do a lot worse than living in suburban KC. I also can understand (though not relate to) why some people like the relatively slow pac here. I even know people who think KC is too big. I don't get it. But I understand their right to feel that way. Still, I will advocate for what I think will make KC a more interesting, exciting, dynamic and enticing place to be. KC has to evolve or it will wither on the vine.
That is the case. Regardless of what many think regarding "competing" with other metro areas- that is the reality. The push/pull factors are always at play. In terms of fast growing areas in the Midwest, the Indianapolis metro area is pulling ahead in percentage term growth. In terms of strictly suburban counties, Hamilton County, (Carmel, Fishers), is what Johnson County used to be like in the mid to late 20th century with very fast well planned growth at lower density levels. Hamilton County is also growing much faster than Johnson County, even though it has a lower population base presently. The percentage gain since 2010 is over 15% while Johnson County is now at less than 7% growth in the same time frame.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:34 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
[...] Hamilton County, (Carmel, Fishers), is what Johnson County used to be like in the mid to late 20th century with very fast well planned growth at lower density levels. Hamilton County is also growing much faster than Johnson County, even though it has a lower population base presently. The percentage gain since 2010 is over 15% while Johnson County is now at less than 7% growth in the same time frame.
Funny, Carmel just appeared on my radar screen today when I got a news release from one of those rating sites that had just released its list of the "10 best places to live" in the US. Carmel was on top. I got it because two Philadelphia suburbs were in the top 10: #2 Chesterbrook and #9 Penn Wynne.

One thing I think we all tend to overlook is that any growth from a small base is going to be faster than growth from a much larger one, even if in absolute numbers, more people move into the larger jurisdiction. Unless there's a huge wave of migrants (internal or external), most large cities aren't going to post double-digit growth rates. And once a place is "fully built out," its growth rate won't even be where Johnson County's is now, at least not if it's as populous as JoCo is now (somewhere north of 500,000, last I heard).

Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Funny, Carmel just appeared on my radar screen today when I got a news release from one of those rating sites that had just released its list of the "10 best places to live" in the US. Carmel was on top. I got it because two Philadelphia suburbs were in the top 10: #2 Chesterbrook and #9 Penn Wynne.

One thing I think we all tend to overlook is that any growth from a small base is going to be faster than growth from a much larger one, even if in absolute numbers, more people move into the larger jurisdiction. Unless there's a huge wave of migrants (internal or external), most large cities aren't going to post double-digit growth rates. And once a place is "fully built out," its growth rate won't even be where Johnson County's is now, at least not if it's as populous as JoCo is now (somewhere north of 500,000, last I heard).
Right. If a county with 10,000 people grows by 10,000 people, it has 100% growth. If a county of 50,000 people grows by 10,000 people, it has 20% growth.

I'm familiar with Carmel. I went to school in Indiana, and I knew people from there. I also went there a couple of times. Very similar to OP/Leawood. I've watched Indy's growth. It is slightly faster than KC's. If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely choose KC. For me, the only advantage to Indy would be that it's closer to Chicago. I feel like KC just seems to have more history and character. So I'm not sure why Indy is beating out KC. Then again, so is Des Moines, Omaha, OKC, and some others that I wouldn't choose over KC.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Hamilton County, IN is now over 316K in population.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...45215/18057,00

Here is how it compares to Johnson County, KS:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...45215/20091,00

Edit: Okay, it now shows JOCO percentage change since 2010 at 7.4% with the recent February 2017 update.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-18-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Right. If a county with 10,000 people grows by 10,000 people, it has 100% growth. If a county of 50,000 people grows by 10,000 people, it has 20% growth.

I'm familiar with Carmel. I went to school in Indiana, and I knew people from there. I also went there a couple of times. Very similar to OP/Leawood. I've watched Indy's growth. It is slightly faster than KC's. If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely choose KC. For me, the only advantage to Indy would be that it's closer to Chicago. I feel like KC just seems to have more history and character. So I'm not sure why Indy is beating out KC. Then again, so is Des Moines, Omaha, OKC, and some others that I wouldn't choose over KC.
Indy has a stronger economy, and Hamilton County now has the highest median household income, (when adjusted for cost of living), compared to any county in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City