Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Dynamite ending planned for 10-story building along I-435 at Nall in Overland Park

So developers are going to tear down a ten story building built in 1972 to put up 5 story buildings. Seems wasteful to me, especially if you are not gong to put up something with some density in that high profile location. Why not convert it to residential and give people a different housing option for the area?

Would be a good location for a 12-15 story mixed used development. That 435 corridor is just not going to become a very dense built up area I guess. It's things like this that make KC seem stuck in the 1980's.

Oh well, I would go watch it come down. Implosions are fun!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
A developer would be an idiot doing a residential project at that location.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:11 PM

639 posts, read 766,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Dynamite ending planned for 10-story building along I-435 at Nall in Overland Park

So developers are going to tear down a ten story building built in 1972 to put up 5 story buildings. Seems wasteful to me, especially if you are not gong to put up something with some density in that high profile location. Why not convert it to residential and give people a different housing option for the area?

Would be a good location for a 12-15 story mixed used development. That 435 corridor is just not going to become a very dense built up area I guess. It's things like this that make KC seem stuck in the 1980's.

Oh well, I would go watch it come down. Implosions are fun!
I don't agree with much that left, or I mean East Coast KCMO has to say, but he is right about demolishing this as a waste on several levels.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
*shrug* without all the details....heck...who cares...someone that does this for a living has decided this course of action.

I imagine some dentist or engineer or fast food worker telling me I'm wrong at my job with the barest of information. ????

Can any of you provide an informed view of the decision?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug* without all the details....heck...who cares...someone that does this for a living has decided this course of action.

I imagine some dentist or engineer or fast food worker telling me I'm wrong at my job with the barest of information. ????

Can any of you provide an informed view of the decision?
I'm not saying it's not in the best interest of the developer. They tried for years to lease the building and had no luck.

My point is that the price of real estate in KC still much be ridiculously low for such a high profile site to have such a dated plan proposed for it. The 435 corridor in the south metro is the one corridor of KC that could and should have some density to it by now. Five story single use office buildings and surface parking lots along a commercially zoned interstate in a major metro? The 80's are alive and well in KC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
A developer would be an idiot doing a residential project at that location.
Don't know why not, it's happening in suburban business districts of cities all across the country and not just the big coastal cities and around transit (although that's where most of it is happening).

Old 01-13-2017, 04:47 PM

396 posts, read 998,752 times
Agree with kcmo on the unfortunate lack of density here. If you're going demo something, make it better. That said, there are a few projects that are decent mixed use. Some may not like it, but the Lenexa City Center is definitely a mixed use development that is coming along nicely. I was there this morning actually (I live in the general area) and there are some nice features including civic components. Also, it's full of parking garages, and walk up type developments.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:59 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Isn't the point of living in the suburbs to be in a less densely populated area? Make it more densely populated and people who want real suburbs are going to move further out.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
that ought-a blow up reeeal good

Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
It does seem like a waste to demolish a 40 year old building unless something structural is wrong with it. Disposable society I guess. And not to turn this into a rail thread, but I think you are spot on. Most cities with rail transit have nice walkable downtown areas as a hub for their community around the rail stops. I think that's what many suburbanites want (density, good public transit, all the amenities of the city but without the crime and decay), particularly the younger ones who are feeling more and more left out if the urban renewal movement. But I digress - even if KC was ready to ease up on automobiles and a rail concept was passed, I would want it to run straight north to south on state line road - not waste any time on that junky looking 435 corridor and it's business tenants where everyone is likely to drive to work anyway.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:02 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Isn't the point of living in the suburbs to be in a less densely populated area? Make it more densely populated and people who want real suburbs are going to move further out.
The I-435 corridor already has a higher population density, and with the large highway nearby means the possibility for mixed-use denser development would make sense. The very low density model is not going to be sustainable as the metro area has consumed enormous amounts of land in inefficient ways over the last few decades. Redevelopment of existing areas will be key, and a "business as usual" approach is not always the best decision. Yes, there are many suburbs around the country that have dense Downtown areas with mixed use developments that are adjacent to low density tree lined suburban streets. One can easily have both, and that scenario makes it more appealing for a wider demographic set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: