Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
That poster sounds like a troll. We aren't all rude a-wholes in California like the OP.
I have found this to be true. I have met some very nice people in and from California!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:11 PM

639 posts, read 767,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The OP said that Downtown KCMO was decent. It was the Kansas side people that seemed to rub him the wrong way. My experience in KC was very similar actually, which is why by the time I left KC, I actually went out of my way to avoid anything Kansas side of KC, even taking a lower paying job in KCMO to get out of Johnson County all together (although it payed off in the long run with much higher pay). And for the record, the MO suburbs are not much better. This is why I continue to say that I really like KC a lot (between Briarcliff and Waldo and between State line and 71). The rest of metro KC? Not so much.

The central urban corridor of KCMO seems to be only getting better though and with all the new residential going up, it looks like KC central KC may be finally turning a major corner. If you live in downtown, midtown, plaza etc and only interact with people in those areas, I think your time in KC and your opinion of KC will be drastically different compared to people that might even live in KCMO but have to commute to suburban jobs.

I personally would not move back to KC unless I could live AND work in the city. I never want to deal with Johnson County culture again. Like I have said before, it's the main reason I don't miss KC. And the MO suburbs? Not enough going on there to move back for sure.

Having said that. KCMO sure looked pretty badass on Sunday Night football on Christmas. NBC did a good job showing off the city. You know that central urban corridor of KCMO .
I think a lot of people who like the urban core and hate the suburbs is a cultural/political reason or values, etc. I for one really can't stand the people in the urban core and prefer the values/cultures of the people in the suburbs. It's all one's perspective, if you're far left mentally, you will be fine in the urban core, if your values lean to the right, you would prefer the suburban locations.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,389,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodini3566 View Post
The only thing people care about there is who/what everybody else is f***ing, in that order. P
Nobody likes to feel left out.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I think a lot of people who like the urban core and hate the suburbs is a cultural/political reason or values, etc. I for one really can't stand the people in the urban core and prefer the values/cultures of the people in the suburbs. It's all one's perspective, if you're far left mentally, you will be fine in the urban core, if your values lean to the right, you would prefer the suburban locations.
I like suburbs and cities. I really like many of the suburbs around DC and Baltimore. I have always like the burbs around Denver. MSP has some nice burbs. So does Seattle. KC's suburbs are just average. Not great, but not terrible. JoCo would be okay if people there didn't think that JoCo was god's gift to humanity especially since I don't find JoCo to be impressive at all. I don't care about KC's politics, I just like the urban core of KCMO. The built environment etc.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I like suburbs and cities. I really like many of the suburbs around DC and Baltimore. I have always like the burbs around Denver. MSP has some nice burbs. So does Seattle. KC's suburbs are just average. Not great, but not terrible. JoCo would be okay if people there didn't think that JoCo was god's gift to humanity especially since I don't find JoCo to be impressive at all. I don't care about KC's politics, I just like the urban core of KCMO. The built environment etc.
The poster posted in another thread that put down all of KC, saying that KC women aren't friendly. People suggested it was the POSTER, and not KC, that was the problem. It would be nice if KCMO posters would stand up for our entire area instead of jumping in to put down Johnson County when an outsider puts down our area. I note that in the other thread people jumped in to defend the entire KC area when someone mentioned women on the Plaza being rude to him. In this one, though, KCMO posters jumped in to put down Johnson County. Sad.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 5,983 times
"It would be nice if KCMO posters would stand up for our entire area instead of jumping in to put down Johnson County when an outsider puts down our area."

Nuff said.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:31 AM

290 posts, read 346,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The poster posted in another thread that put down all of KC, saying that KC women aren't friendly. People suggested it was the POSTER, and not KC, that was the problem. It would be nice if KCMO posters would stand up for our entire area instead of jumping in to put down Johnson County when an outsider puts down our area. I note that in the other thread people jumped in to defend the entire KC area when someone mentioned women on the Plaza being rude to him. In this one, though, KCMO posters jumped in to put down Johnson County. Sad.
I don't disagree in theory, but there is a divide in mentality of people living in the city and those living in the suburbs on both the Missouri and Kansas side. Thus, many things this poster stated aren't completely made up, specifically JOCO white collar office environments. It's an interesting, but weird Metro.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:15 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
The two areas are indeed quite different but the ugly butt-hurt stereotyping followed by the piling on by some other posters is sad. Especially when it seems that the persons core issues were inter-personal and based upon their post here they had to be at least part of the problem but haven't reached that step yet.

Some people are just unable to understand that not everybody thinks like they do or likes the same things and so view that as *wrong* while ironically blaming everyone else for being small minded.

I've lived in towns with 5000 people, urban\ethnic and gay parts of Chicago, semi-conservative suburbs and never had problems getting along with everybody to the point where I had to rant about an entire area and label them with ignorant blanket statements.

Perhaps some personal introspection is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: