Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,024 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

My husband may have to relocate to KCMO for his job which is located in North KC. Here are a few things I am looking for and searching the net is giving me a headache. Home price anywhere between $150 - $250. I do like the idea of a small town feel though, being able to "walk" to town that is.

1.) Good schools (obviously who wants a bad one lol). We have a special needs child (10 yo) and a 7th gr (13 yo). We would love to have a school that has a lacrosse team as well as swimming. As far as our special needs child, how does KC school operate regarding SN (special needs)? I.e. presently one elementary school in the district has all the SN children in a classroom - each school does not operate their own SN classrooms. Are there SN standalone schools in the area which may offer her more than a public school setting?

2.) I prefer a more rural area. I like a yard - more space between homes but still within shopping distance. I grew up in an area where closest store was 20 minutes away so really travel is not a big deal but I want a Target nearby for my fix.

3.) low crime - I would like our kids to be able to be outside in relative safety (again I'm sure this is a given)

4.) The rural area vs commute time would be a factor too. Not sure what traffic is like in the KC area but we are from the Philly area and ours is like a death sentence is your timing is off.

5.) Last thing - and an odd question Im sure. Swimming pools - does KC have public/private pools for membership? We are a swim family - our daughter swims years round so we would like to keep this up.

thank you all in advance!!
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,054,679 times
Kansas City traffic is easy.

Is the job in the city of North Kansas City, or just Kansas City north of the river? That could make a difference in recommendations. Living north of the river (Clay and Platte counties) is alternately urban, suburban and rural. One of my co-workers lives in Liberty, within ten minutes of big box shopping, but her yard is also adjacent to an open field with deer and turkeys.

We have plenty of swimming pools. Most indoor pools will be attached to a gym. Outdoor pools don't usually open until late May.

Lacrosse is awfully low on the sports priority list around here. People see that strictly as a northeastern sport.

I don't have kids, but generally, each school provides its own special needs instruction. As far as I know, public school districts don't funnel all special needs students into one standalone school. The Kansas City area has many good school districts: Park Hill, North KC and Liberty in the north, Lee's Summit in the southeast, and Blue Valley, Olathe and Shawnee Mission on the Kansas side.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,995,595 times
For your price range, commute and wanting a more small town or rural area, I would look at Platte City, Smithville and Kearney. All will be good schools, within 20-30 minutes of your job in NKC and a more roomy rural atmosphere yet within 15 minutes or so of major shopping centers (that will all have a Target ).

I'm sure the Northland has many pools both public and private and several community centers, YMCAs etc, but the Tiffany Springs Aquatics center is one of the bigger ones in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City