Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:07 AM

6,831 posts, read 11,565,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I think my question still stands. You said KC should have been more proactive and responsible 50 years ago, to keep people from leaving for the suburbs. The eTax is not that old, so you must be thinking of something else. Care to explain?
Actually, it was 1963

Grant v. Kansas City :: 1968 :: Supreme Court of Missouri Decisions :: Missouri Case Law :: Missouri Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:09 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,170,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I work downtown KC MO, live in Lees Summit. The etax is a big deal in that it's not right. Why should I be paying $500 a year for the privilege of working in KC. I work for the Federal Govt. Homeland Security has a big center in Lee's Summit. Maybe Lee's Summit should do a "shake down" of those employees that live in KC?
If it's a big deal to you, you should get a job outside of KC. It's neither a shakedown, nor "not right", in any meaningful since. Nor are you "paying for the privelege". You are paying a legal, democratically affirmed and established tax, but you don't have to. You are making a choice to.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,240,479 times
Quote:
It wasn't white flight, it was flight from school busing. Busing students away from their local neighborhood schools. My parents flew out of midtown in 1973 because George B. Longan elementary was only a block away and I wasn't going to be going there because of busing. The doing away of neighborhood schools across the country in favor of busing is what accelerated people leaving the urban areas. Schools should have had the same standards and opportunities and in time people would have moved on their own around urban areas.
True -- the big outmigration was 1968-1973. Some of the schools (like Bancroft or high schools like Paseo or Southeast) transitioned from a neighborhood mixed school (which near Troost meant around 80% white) to 95% black in one or two years. The neighborhoods themselves did not change nearly as much as the schools did.

Parents with kids moved en masse. In the 1980s when I would visit these neighborhoods (like Sunny Slope), it would still be around 80% white, but only people in their mid-50s or older -- everyone who was of childbearing age in 1970 had moved. It was like what we now call a 55+ community -- a virtual retirement home. Younger people didn't start to move back into midtown until the 1990s, perhaps once private school options had become clearer.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 PM

639 posts, read 768,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
If it's a big deal to you, you should get a job outside of KC. It's neither a shakedown, nor "not right", in any meaningful since. Nor are you "paying for the privelege". You are paying a legal, democratically affirmed and established tax, but you don't have to. You are making a choice to.
NO, I am paying a tax that I did not vote on, a taxation withOUT representation

Old 05-17-2016, 08:39 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,170,588 times
Quote:
That's not what that means.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:54 AM

886 posts, read 2,228,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I never had a problem with it whether I lived in KCMO or not (always worked in the city so always paid it). I pay 3% local income tax now. Lots of people make a big deal out of it though. I don't think silent majority really cares about it. The only people that I ever heard that really complained about it were Johnson County residents that worked in KCMO. But they tend to complain about everything KCMO. When I moved to Blue Springs, I think must people worked in the city and I don't recall people ever talking about the etax. It's a pretty good deal for KCMO residents really. Most of the revenue generated comes from KCMO residents and businesses but a good portion comes from suburban residents (I think like 20%). But again mostly from MO side suburbs. JoCo people are the loudest against it, but I think they are a very small portion of the revenue.

The alternative for KCMO residents is pretty dramatic. Much higher sales, property taxes etc and far fewer services.

By the way. If you live in the Northland, how are you paying for the streetcar? That's funded by property owners along the streetcar corridor. Streetcars don't really make sense for commuting. That's terrible transit technology for that. They might someday extend it to downtown NKC just to connect Downtown NKC to Downtown. But if you live any futher north than that, a streetcar would take forever to use as a mode of commuting.

The Northland just needs a robust commuter bus system. KC needs commuter coach buses that go from KCI, Liberty, Gladstone, Parkville etc to downtown. Any sort of rail, even streetcar, does not make sense north of the river and it never will.

I disagree, I think the northland could use existing lines with maybe some additions to setup commuter rail. KC metro is so spread out, it would be nice to have the burbs connected to the core. Ideally I'd like commuter rail to connect the burbs to the city, streetcar for getting around in the core, and buses could be more local to the neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:02 AM

886 posts, read 2,228,659 times
Quote:
I should try using that excuse next time I'm buying something in another state and they want to charge me sales tax....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City