Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,287,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I remember one Fall there was a "flash freeze" meaning low temperatures were in the low 20s in mid October actually froze leaves to branches, they didn't fall off until December. That was in 2000 if I recall correctly. Yes, it does depend on the type of tree, but the urban heat island also has an impact as well. Lawrence and St. Joseph often have much cooler low temperatures than urban areas of KC.
I think it was 1996, but then we had another freeze that was similar (except the leaves had already fallen) in January 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:41 PM

34 posts, read 135,256 times
I may need to post this in a new thread, but does anyone have a realtor that they love and would recommend?

Also, we will likely rent for a couple months while we look for a house. Are there apartment locator services in KC? For example, in Austin, there are lots of companies that will search for an apartment for you, for free. They get paid by the apartment complex you sign with. We've had great luck using these services.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2016, 12:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Our Realtor is awesome, but her main area is NE Johnon Co.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:10 PM

172 posts, read 154,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah12345 View Post
I may need to post this in a new thread, but does anyone have a realtor that they love and would recommend?

Also, we will likely rent for a couple months while we look for a house. Are there apartment locator services in KC? For example, in Austin, there are lots of companies that will search for an apartment for you, for free. They get paid by the apartment complex you sign with. We've had great luck using these services.

Thanks!
Going from KC to Austin, I was surprised by the abundance of apartment locators. I think Austin's market can better support this industry, since so many people move there.

This service is not common in KC. A real estate agent might be able to help, but they usually are too preoccupied with buying/selling to give rentals much attention.

I'll PM you with a real estate agent that impressed me.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM

377 posts, read 571,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
If you want even more specificity in your Waldo search, look at Ward Parkway Homes Association. The homes north of 75th are almost as charming as Brookside and are generally the same size. They are also walking distance from the Waldo restaurants and shops at Wornall.

The problem with Ward Parkway HOA is that inventory is low low low.
Yes, this is where I live in Waldo. There are a few homes for sale, though, in this area, and most are probably in your range. Might be worth a Zillow review of the area between Wornall and State Line and Gregory and 75th. There are some really cute areas also between Gregory and 75th between Oak and Holmes.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 AM

377 posts, read 571,139 times
Oh, and our Realtor knows this area well and lives in it. She helped us buy our place here last May. PM me and I'll send you her information.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:02 PM

52 posts, read 112,235 times
Hi. I grew up in Austin and moved here with my husband in 08. I lived in Chicago in the 80s. We bought in Volker and I love it. We love walking to 39th Street for dining. I have food allergies and manage fine here. There are no breakfast tacos or Migas to speak of...you kind of have to make your own Tex Mex and the Woodyard is the closest thing to edible BBQ IMO....but I usually keep that to myself as BBQ is so personal....LOL. There is subtle racism and and some snobbish attitudes that you have to navigate around but it's not everyone. Unfortunately Austin has become unbearable and we won't be returning to live. I love the 4 seasons and do not miss 105 temperatures for months. I do miss HEB but Price Chopper works. It's definitely more conservative here but you can find pockets. One of the reasons we like Volker. ...MO has a state tax of course, but the property taxes are way lower. We got a 3 story house built in 1908 for less than our Ranch style in Oak Hill sold. So you can probably do great...we rented for a year first in West Plaza then decided on the relaxed attitude of Volker area. Hyde Park or Valentine might work as well. Brookside was expensive when we were house shopping. The Art scene is way more open here...we were members of the Robot group in Austin... good luck. Feel free to message me if you have more questions.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:57 AM

@annabellavampirella, thanks for your post!

It's nice to hear the opinions of someone who lived in both Chicago and Austin, like us. And I appreciate you sharing that you have food allergies and are still able to find places to eat. That's great to hear.

The more we look into neighborhoods, the more we're liking the Volker and Hyde Park areas. The Plaza looks really nice too, though I know it's quite a bit out of our price range. Although, I have been impressed with some small homes that pop up for sale. If we're willing to do a 2/1, we could maybe get into a hot neighborhood for a very affordable price.

We're also thinking about how we'd like to be near the new street car system. We wouldn't be able to afford the locations where it's currently built out, BUT we may try and stay within walking distance of Main Street in anticipation that over the years it will hopefully be expanded.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 601 times
Default Kansas City Housing

Hi Sarah!

My name is Cheree Tate. I just came across this thread, so I thought I'd say hi. I'm a Realtor in Kansas City and I've lived in the Prairie Village area for almost 11 years. Brookside and Waldo are very close to me and I know those areas well. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can. What questions do you have at this point? What else can I help with? Feel free to email me at [email]cheree@tatehomeskc.com[/email] or call me at 913.626.4121.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:05 PM

So many helpful people responded to my original post, thank you! I thought I'd send a quick update. After visiting KC, we decided that we are for sure moving there at the end of February! We also decided to rent for one year before buying a house, though we fell in love with Volker when we visited

I posted a new thread asking for advice on rentals. Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City