Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,563 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Is anyone aware of any second chance apartment rental companies? My husband was out of work for almost a a year and we got behind in everything of course. His credit is mid 500 mine is low 4s, we have our eviction court date in a week and we should be able to come up with the back rent. Of course they're not allowing us to release & our lease is up at the end of this month. We do have a cosigner with amazing credit.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 11:18 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
What part of the city? You may want to call a relocation company and ask them. They are pretty familiar with policies of the apartment complexes around the city and may even be able to help you out.

Apartments that offer government subsidies housing would be a good start.

Northpointe Apartments at 169 Highway and Barry Rd would be one to check into. It is right behind the North Patrol KCPD Station. They are very spacious and nice apartments and competitively priced. This was 13 years ago but my wife and I got a 2bd 2bath that was 1050 sq ft for 525. Most places were at least 750 for that size apartment.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:24 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebra16 View Post
Hello all!

Is anyone aware of any second chance apartment rental companies? My husband was out of work for almost a a year and we got behind in everything of course. His credit is mid 500 mine is low 4s, we have our eviction court date in a week and we should be able to come up with the back rent. Of course they're not allowing us to release & our lease is up at the end of this month. We do have a cosigner with amazing credit.

Thank you so much!!
You are probably out of luck at any large apartment complex or properties that are run by management companies. Most will automatically deny you. Your best chance is probably going through a private single family home or duplex that is rented by a single landlord.

I have rental property in KC and visit the real estate forum on city data quite often. There are many threads on this topic there.

Personally, I think everybody deserves a second chance and you will find people that will help you, but it's going to take a lot of phone calls and you will probably have to go with single family home after persuading a landlord to listen to your story and take a chance on you. I'm not sure I would want to live in an apartment complex that allows people that have been evicted. I have a feeling the complex would not be a very nice place to live.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:05 AM

53 posts, read 67,027 times
I have never been evicted or have gone through the process, but I don't have the greatest credit. I have always relied on private owners. When I moved to KC, I applied at several apartment communities north of the river, only to be denied by all. Luckily we found a private owner who could care less about credit.

When I moved back to St. Louis, I was able to find a place quickly via craigslist in the housing wanted section. I explained my credit situation, my must haves in a new place, my target area and budget. 2 weeks later we signed a lease on an amazing house in a desirable area.

The housing wanted section is something I have been using since 2008 to find new places to live, I didn't post an ad in KC because I was in a bit of a hurry to find a place due to my new job starting. Good luck to you!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What part of the city? You may want to call a relocation company and ask them. They are pretty familiar with policies of the apartment complexes around the city and may even be able to help you out.

Apartments that offer government subsidies housing would be a good start.

Northpointe Apartments at 169 Highway and Barry Rd would be one to check into. It is right behind the North Patrol KCPD Station. They are very spacious and nice apartments and competitively priced. This was 13 years ago but my wife and I got a 2bd 2bath that was 1050 sq ft for 525. Most places were at least 750 for that size apartment.
Thanks so much for the feedback! We're currently in Overland Park and would like to stay in this area but if we can't that's totally fine. Quick question when I looked up "relocation company" I only found moving companies...is this correct it do I need to word it differently? Also, we're not low income and I'm not sure we would qualify for GSH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: