Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 11:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Let's not bury out heads in the sand and pretend Johnson County is a safe haven

Man shot, killed outside Overland Park bar | The Kansas City Star

Not to mention all the traffic deaths recently in that area like that poor toddler that was killed in a crash due to horrible driving of a man from Shawnee, KS. That's more of a concern to me than being shot to be honest.
Okay, so there was one man killed two months ago in Overland Park. That is nothing compared to KCMO. Look at a crime map for the KC metro and it shows that Johnson County has MUCH less crime, particularly violent crime, than the rest of the metro.

You know as well as I do that Johnson County is MUCH safer than the surrounding areas. It's the reason a lot of people live there. But unfortunately, it is not as safe as it once was. I have said it before and I will say it again - a lot of the crime in Johnson County comes from across the state line. Not all of it, but a lot of it. The police will even tell you that. They have told ME that.

Traffic accidents are horrible and it's sad that a little child was killed by a drunk. That happens everywhere. But somehow a kidnapping, a shooting, a murder and a robbery in four days seems worse to me, because those four crimes were crimes that were intentional and deliberate. That doesn't mean that because the drunk didn't set out with the intention of killing someone it is okay; it's not. But it's not the same as people running around robbing and shooting and kidnapping.

And kids get hit in KCMO too. There was a kid hit by a truck the day of the Royals parade, at 17th and Broadway. I know because I was walking by and saw the kid under a red truck and an ambulance there and traffic stopped in every direction. I have searched the internet for any news about that, and to see if the kid was okay (wasn't moving, so I didn't really think the kid was okay) or what the outcome was, and I have found nothing about it. Could have been a drunk driver or just a reckless driver or maybe the kid ran out in the street; I don't know. But I don't put that in the same category of crime as people who are out deliberately shooting, kidnapping and robbing people.

Last edited by luzianne; 11-19-2015 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Okay, so there was one man killed two months ago in Overland Park. That is nothing compared to KCMO. Look at a crime map for the KC metro and it shows that Johnson County has MUCH less crime, particularly violent crime, than the rest of the metro.

You know as well as I do that Johnson County is MUCH safer than the surrounding areas. It's the reason a lot of people live there. But unfortunately, it is not as safe as it once was. I have said it before and I will say it again - a lot of the crime in Johnson County comes from across the state line. Not all of it, but a lot of it. The police will even tell you that. They have told ME that.

Traffic accidents are horrible and it's sad that a little child was killed by a drunk. That happens everywhere. But somehow a kidnapping, a shooting, a murder and a robbery in four days seems worse to me, because those four crimes were crimes that were intentional and deliberate. That doesn't mean that because the drunk didn't set out with the intention of killing someone it is okay; it's not. But it's not the same as people running around robbing and shooting and kidnapping.

And kids get hit in KCMO too. There was a kid hit by a truck the day of the Royals parade, at 17th and Broadway. I know because I was walking by and saw the kid under a red truck and an ambulance there and traffic stopped in every direction. I have searched the internet for any news about that, and to see if the kid was okay (wasn't moving, so I didn't really think the kid was okay) or what the outcome was, and I have found nothing about it. Could have been a drunk driver or just a reckless driver or maybe the kid ran out in the street; I don't know. But I don't put that in the same category of crime as people who are out deliberately shooting, kidnapping and robbing people.
I was being lazy, I'm sure I could dig up much more recent shootings in JoCo though September is fairly recent. And I'm not arguing that JoCo is unsafe compared to all of KCMO, but Brookside? C'mon. And as far as traffic deaths are concerned, it doesn't really matter if it's intentional or not if you are the victim or the victim's family.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I was being lazy, I'm sure I could dig up much more recent shootings in JoCo though September is fairly recent. And I'm not arguing that JoCo is unsafe compared to all of KCMO, but Brookside? C'mon. And as far as traffic deaths are concerned, it doesn't really matter if it's intentional or not if you are the victim or the victim's family.
I'm not saying Brookside is bad. I'm saying that the recent crimes are concerning.

Of course it doesn't matter if it's intentional if you are the victim or the victim's family. But to have people intentionally trying to hurt or kill people is more concerning than people deliberately doing it.

I think Overland Park has 4 murders this year and I think that was the last shooting, the one in September. Usually there are about 2 murders per year in Overland Park. And not too many years ago it was very unusual to have ANY murders in Johnson County. I think you realize that there are usually over 100 murders in Kansas City, Missouri every year.

I used to never hear sirens in my neighborhood - ever. Now I hear them a lot. Things are changing. I still live in a very low crime area but if it continues to get worse I will be moving somewhere with less crime.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
We're really going to start ****talking BROOKSIDE, of all places? LOL.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We're really going to start ****talking BROOKSIDE, of all places? LOL.
Who is ****talking Brookside? I posted a link to a news story. That's ****talking? Sometimes you post just to be posting.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:56 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Hasn't the area around the Oak Park mall become more sketch over the past few years?

I'm not really a fan of Johnson County, but there's no denying that it's a safer area overall compared to KCMO.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:56 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Hasn't the area around the Oak Park mall become more sketch over the past few years?
Only cause of all the baddy bad guys coming over from bad, baddy Missouri and doing all the bad stuff here!

Quote:
23-year-old Overland Park man convicted last year of stalking a woman is now charged with raping another woman Wednesday

Read more here: Overland Park man faces rape charge | The Kansas City Star
Quote:
A 19-year-old Shawnee man was charged Friday with robbing an Overland Park bank last month.

Read more here: Charges filed in Overland Park bank robbery | The Kansas City Star
Quote:
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — Police arrested a man after a domestic-violence incident involving the suspect and his wife.

Officers said Sunday morning, near Foster and Riley streets in Overland Park, a man attacked his wife with a tool of some kind, while police said children were present in their home.

Quote:
A 21-year-old Overland Park man has been arrested and charged in two recent sexual assaults of women in Kansas City, according to prosecutors.

Read more here: Overland Park man is accused of sexually assaulting two women at gunpoint in Kansas City | The Kansas City Star

Old 11-21-2015, 11:13 PM

Kansas City man indicted in Prairie Village bank robbery | The Kansas City Star .

Overland Park shooting suspect makes 1st court appearance | Local News - KMBC Home

FBI: Kansas City, other Missouri cities among worst cities nationwide for violent crime - + KSHB.com

"The border wars
At a glance, it's an imaginary line paved and marked with thin metal signs that read 'State Line Rd.'
But the difference in violent crime rates is staggering between the metro counties."

Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Kansas City man indicted in Prairie Village bank robbery | The Kansas City Star .

"The border wars
At a glance, it's an imaginary line paved and marked with thin metal signs that read 'State Line Rd.'
But the difference in violent crime rates is staggering between the metro counties."
Yep, when you cross from Platte County in Missouri into Wyandotte County in Kansas, crime rates skyrocket!

Again, which is it? Does Kansas revolve around Johnson County or not? Depends on the what makes KS look better right?

I love how everybody talks about Kansas schools and Kansas crime rates, yet they have ONE freaking county that they are really talking about. The Northland and Eastern Jackson County is safer and has better schools than Wyandotte County! Woo Hoo Yee Haww. Oh wait, nobody in those areas ever say that. They have nothing to prove. So long as suburban county has better crime rates and public schools than urban KCMO, Johnson County will forever have something to brag about. Even though there is absolutely nothing special about newer suburbs having lower crime than older urban areas.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:08 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
I think Kansas loves Johnson County so much because that is really the only decent part of the entire state (except for maybe Lawrence). Missouri is just a better state to live in for many reasons.

I do find it amusing that WY county is never mentioned when talking about crime and other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City