Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 AM

396 posts, read 998,972 times

Advertisements

Both communities would be great to live in. Great school districts in both, you can find nice homes in your price range in both. Personally, if I were to live in Olathe I would prefer to live on the west or northwest side. There's hilly/forested neighborhoods both older more established and a lot of newer homes. It has decent access to hiking/trail systems/Parks that I personally enjoy. That said, if you prefer to feel more in the city/suburbs then the eastern side of Olathe would be a good fit or Overland Park itself. It flows directly into Overland Park and from there you have quite an array of neighborhoods to choose from. Either way, it's nice that you both will be working close together. Good luck and welcome to the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 50,973 times
Thank you for all of the responses and advice.

We decided we are not going to be renting since this will be our hopefully final house. We had a starter home for 11 years on the East Coast which was a nightmare and have been saving for the dream house. Another reason we aren't looking into less than 4 bedroom homes is because one of our friends is actually moving in with us (I should have mentioned that). I want her to have her own space hence the basement with a bedroom or otherwise. Hubby went to high school in OP a million years ago and is partial to the area but is open to homes in Olathe. Also our 3.5 y/o was in early intervention with his previous preschool so a good public school program is vital as he has a few learning difficulties.

On a good note we finally got our preapproval from the mortgage company so we can stop window shopping. I'm very excited about that. Driving out to KS tomorrow permanently!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
I'm not partial to Olathe, but I had some friends buy a house there, and when I saw it I was really surprised by how charming both the house and the neighborhood were. It's important to keep in mind that not everything in Olathe is cookie-cutter suburbia.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Have you noticed that Google maps always seems to shoot "street view" on trash day?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I'm not partial to Olathe, but I had some friends buy a house there, and when I saw it I was really surprised by how charming both the house and the neighborhood were. It's important to keep in mind that not everything in Olathe is cookie-cutter suburbia.
Indeed it is charming. It is also the area the realtor was likely referring to as "iffy", and the area of Johnson County most likely to be called "kind of ghetto" by someone named Adyson or Mackenzie.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Indeed it is charming. It is also the area the realtor was likely referring to as "iffy", and the area of Johnson County most likely to be called "kind of ghetto" by someone named Adyson or Mackenzie.
I thought the realtor was referring to west Olathe as iffy. This is smack dab in the middle.

And yeah, I would expect a person named Adyson or Mackenzie to describe any charming historic middle-class neighborhood as "kind of ghetto".

Old 06-11-2015, 12:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The widely varying perception of what constitutes "ghetto" is always interesting.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
There is nothing wrong with western Olathe. Perhaps by "iffy" the realtor meant flimsy construction. I don't know.

If you can live in Overland Park, and get into the Blue Valley School District, that would be ideal for your kids. But Olathe schools are good too.
Agree.

As for inside the 435 loop, I think the OP is better off outside the 435 loop, where the houses are newer and nicer for roughly the same price.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
I have family that lives in West Olathe. Some of the suburban residents have been all bent out of shape because a sizable Latino population has formed south of Santa Fe road. I hope that is not what your relator was referring too because the area is fine. West Olathe isn't not bad. It's a little far from Kansas City (if you want to go to the Plaza or event there), but it's a short distance for me to see some of my friends in Lawrence. It also has reasonable access to the Legends if your around K-7.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:48 PM

22 posts, read 50,973 times
We just arrived in OP today. I'm going to see my realtor on Monday and I'll ask him what he meant. Where we came from was a huge melting pot so that doesn't bother me. I'm excited to be here finally and to go house hunting. Thanks for all the input everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City