Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,931 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old college graduate guy thinking about taking a job in Overland Park, KS. I am originally from Minneapolis' southwest suburbs and went to school 15 minutes outside of Boston. I am hoping to land in a younger part of town with access to nightlife (like to party, more a bar guy than club guy) and am still hoping to minimize my commute to work (under 20/25 min?). If there is one place to be that is a little further drive I would be open to hearing about it. I am going to be paying my way so hoping to keep the rent affordable ($500/mo?). Other info that I am keeping in mind when selecting a place to live:I hope to join a mens hockey league. I have enjoyed relatively easy access to downtown happenings/events in both minneapolis and boston. I appreciate any kind of advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by dajet17; 01-14-2008 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
If you want nightlife I definitely wouldn't suggest anywhere in Overland park for living. It's very family friendly, but there's very few bars and what not. As a young person I would definitely consider living downtown near the plaza or near Westport. I'm not sure what a weekday backwards commute like that would look like.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Why would a 22 year old want to live in Overland Park? Especially coming from a city like Boston? Find a place between the Plaza and the river so you don't leave in a year hating our city.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,931 times
Default midwest guy

I appreciate some of the direction you guys are giving me. I have had a great time in Boston and Minneapolis as I have grown up but I am far from a city slicker. I spent my summers growing up on the lakes in Minnesota and love Minnesota and I think the midwest. The people and green spaces are something I appreciate even more after the experience in Boston. I guess I will have to see if I like Minneapolis because it is home or because I really like living in a modest and respectable midwest American city. Part of the reason I want to be near a happening part of town is because I currently know 0 people in KC and would hope to be at the number for a very short amount of time. Part of me is hesitant but I like the opportunity the job offers...still making my final decision I guess. I would appreciate anyone else's take on my situation.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
ditto aragx6 ... Westport and the Plaza seem to be where the young folks are.

Overland Park is very nice, but from what I've seen it is really suburban. I would assume a 22 year old, new to the city and not knowing anyone, would probably find more to do and make friends faster if he were in the city, not the 'burbs.

North Kansas City has a cute downtown area too and many apartment complexes just a few blocks away, but your commute would be a bit longer.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Sounds like you like the outdoors, but enjoy "visiting" the city. In that case, I would probably go for Eastern Jackson County. With all the lakes and state and county parks, it's not 100% built out suburbia like you will find in Overland Park.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 AM

82 posts, read 276,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajet17 View Post
I am a 22 year old college graduate guy thinking about taking a job in Overland Park, KS. I am originally from Minneapolis' southwest suburbs and went to school 15 minutes outside of Boston. I am hoping to land in a younger part of town with access to nightlife (like to party, more a bar guy than club guy) and am still hoping to minimize my commute to work (under 20/25 min?). If there is one place to be that is a little further drive I would be open to hearing about it. I am going to be paying my way so hoping to keep the rent affordable ($500/mo?). Other info that I am keeping in mind when selecting a place to live:I hope to join a mens hockey league. I have enjoyed relatively easy access to downtown happenings/events in both minneapolis and boston. I appreciate any kind of advice.

Thanks!
The westport area has some apartments for under 500.00 and you can walk to numerous bars and restaurants. I'd also suggest looking in downtown. I occassionally see lofts for around 550.00. I think the Library Lofts are one such place. You'd be within walking distance of the new Sprint Arena and the Power & Light district that opens this spring. I'd highly recommend that you check kcrag.com. There's a forum there and many of the members are renters living in the urban core. They could probably give you a long list of places to check out and possibly some phone numbers.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 13,115 times
Westport hands down. UMKC campus area. Also downtown RiverMarket area if you are into the more artsy set, however fewer parks, and parking can get expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City