Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,666 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for details on the town of Parkville - it seems just darling! And the downtown area completely won me over! However, the huge houses and median home value really worries me. I have two young children and don't want them to grow up in an extremely 'ritsy' area. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, it's just that my husband and I aren't the type to purchase a huge house, even if we could afford it. Any details on the town and people would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I lived in the Parkville area for two years and have a brother that lives there now, so I feel I can comment.

The Parkville area is pretty diverse. I mean you have a bunch of very high end developments like the National and Cliffs and Riss Lake etc. But there are also more modest areas. You have to remember that Parkville itself if VERY small. It's only around 5000 people. But the town is surrounded by other development mostly in the city limits of KCMO, but also Riverside, Platte Woods etc. Because it's kind of a sprawly area, that entire area often identifies itself with or as "Parkville". From I-29 west to 435 and from 54th up to 72nd. That is probably an area with a population of 20-30k. Still small compared to many suburbs around KC, but my point is that the Parkville "area" is at least four times the actual city of Parkville itself.

So what I'm saying is that you will find quite a bit of diversity in the area from lower middle class to middle to upper middle to upper bracket. If you want something more affordable, look at the areas along Route 9 between downtown Parkville and Zona Rosa. There are some pockets of modest housing in there.

When I lived in the Parkville area and when I visit, I don't notice any snobbery. I think with the area being more mixed, you don't really get that much. People in the area have a lot of money, but it doesn't seem like they flaunt it as much as some areas. You have upscale retail mixed with basic staples etc and 2 million dollar homes just blocks from 140k homes. The entire Northland is like this.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-20-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM

82 posts, read 144,860 times
EDIT: kcmo beat me to the punch, but I'll leave my post just in case it helps.

Are you looking to live in the city of Parkville? The city itself is pretty small, but it's surrounded by a very diverse range of subdivisions. They can range from multimillion dollar estates around Riss lake, to your standard suburban housing developments like Walnut Creek just down the road from Parkville.

I personally wouldn't be worried about it. The northland is a great place for people that value diversity, whether it be race or economic backgrounds. You'll get just about every type of person up there.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Parts of Parkville and some of the surrounding areas are pretty blue collar or very average and the area still has a bit of a rural vibe overall. If anything I'd consider the several upscale subdivisions in Parkville as a sign the area will remain stable long into the future, and those demographics help make for a better selection of nearby retail and restaurants. For example, there are three excellent grocery stores in the area (Hen House, Price Chopper, and Hyvee), and the downtown probably wouldn't do as well without the wealth nearby.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM

5 posts, read 8,666 times
Thank you everyone, that does make much more sense. My husband grew up in rural Kansas but I grew up in a very expensive area with a lot of "money hungry" people who were obsessed with flaunting money and throwing it around to keep up with everyone else around them and I don't want my kids to feel that pressure. My husband and I have a much different view on money and could honestly never see ourselves spending more than $300,000 (and that is pushing it!) on a home regardless if we could afford much more. Right now, we're on one income and will be lucky if we get in the $200,000 price range but we're perfectly fine with that. I just don't want my kids to grow up getting teased for not having what the majority of the other kids can afford. I hope that makes sense...Thank you everyone for your input, I truly appreciate it!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
You might go east and look at Liberty as well. A neat old town with plenty of suburban housing in all price ranges and tons of shopping at 152 and I-35. Not as many high, high end subdivisions. I'd say Liberty school district compares well with Park Hill.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I was recently in Parkville and it didn't seem ritzy at all. In fact it didn't even seem suburban. I was astonished that I could be so close to Kansas City (practically surrounded by Kansas City in fact) yet feel like I was in a rural area. I went there to visit the nature sanctuary and absolutely loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City