Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,179,736 times

Advertisements

KC City Council introduced an ordinance this week for a Transit Development District to be formed to expand KC's 2.2-mile downtown streetcar starter route (under construction, opening late '15) into a system of 3 lines (Blue, Yellow and Green on the map), totaling 8-12 miles, plus an additional BRT Route (KC currently has 2).

The combined (streetcar + BRT) system would cover the major transit routes in KC's historic 70-square mile urban core and would create one of the most well-served transit cities of its size in the middle west.

TDD formation election August in August, tax implementation election to follow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,975,575 times
That's looks like more than 8-12 miles. Very cool though. What about running the orange line west Main into the Wesport area? Now if they can get the Jackson County regional rail going to compliment the streetcars.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM

3,565 posts, read 8,005,672 times
Does it really make sense for a line to go south Waldo past 75th? Might it make more sense to stop there, but to also have a spike that goes east on 63rd St to the zoo? I think the 63rd St corridor would be great for transit-oriented development.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 PM

180 posts, read 262,888 times
I can't offhand think of any practical way to make this work, but the Linwood line approaches the stadiums enough that I have to wonder if any kind of transportation arrangement from there to the stadiums would work.

Of course, for, say, most Royals games, I doubt many people are going to want to take public transportation home late at night, especially through that particular corridor.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM

^I don't see why urban core residents should have any real problem traversing that corridor on a streetcar, especially when there will be a ton of other sports fans riding with them. The 31st St and Linwood corridors are not that bad and, just like several other cross-town corridors, are already driven by commuters everyday.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^I don't see why urban core residents should have any real problem traversing that corridor on a streetcar, especially when there will be a ton of other sports fans riding with them. The 31st St and Linwood corridors are not that bad and, just like several other cross-town corridors, are already driven by commuters everyday.
Oh, I know it's fine... but I'm just thinking about perceptions among many of my JoCo neighbors, who have a Pavlovian negative reaction to anything east of Holmes around Midtown.

It would be neat if we could get it to work.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Other than driving to friend's places who live in the urban core and riding the street car with them, I'm not sure why JoCo residents would have anything to do with it. East of Troost isn't a nice place, even though parts are okay-ish, so I wouldn't be too hard on people who take caution, especially if they're fairly unfamiliar with the city in general. It might seem like I just did a 180, but not really. As far as those from JoCo who live in the urban core...well, if they made that step, they might make the next and ride the street car.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Other than driving to friend's places who live in the urban core and riding the street car with them, I'm not sure why JoCo residents would have anything to do with it. East of Troost isn't a nice place, even though parts are okay-ish, so I wouldn't be too hard on people who take caution, especially if they're fairly unfamiliar with the city in general. It might seem like I just did a 180, but not really. As far as those from JoCo who live in the urban core...well, if they made that step, they might make the next and ride the street car.
You're probably right anyway. Washington DC built a baseball stadium in an area of time with an edgy reputation, and public transportation has been a huge success there for game day traffic. Of course, the DC Metro is world class awesome anyway.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 AM

210 posts, read 430,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
I can't offhand think of any practical way to make this work, but the Linwood line approaches the stadiums enough that I have to wonder if any kind of transportation arrangement from there to the stadiums would work.

Of course, for, say, most Royals games, I doubt many people are going to want to take public transportation home late at night, especially through that particular corridor.
What happened to Mike Sanders' commuter rail idea? I thought that was supposed to run past the stadiums.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM

886 posts, read 2,232,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That's looks like more than 8-12 miles. Very cool though. What about running the orange line west Main into the Wesport area? Now if they can get the Jackson County regional rail going to compliment the streetcars.
I'd like to see them use existing rail lines to connect the suburbs to downtown if possible. I know I saw a plan on that before. Would be pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City