Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old male with a 32 year-old female girlfriend (soon to be fiance). Neither of us have children but we would have 2 large (approx 100 lb.) dogs and 2 large (approx 15 lb.) cats. In addition, we would like to try to start a family in the next 2 - 3 years.

We currently live in the Phoenix, AZ area but she is originally from Overland Park, KS.

I was originally opposed to the idea of even considering a move to Kansas City but after being in the area last week (for the first time) for her sister's wedding, I came away absolutely blown away by how Kansas City (and the metro area as a whole) far exceeded my expectations.

She is a veterinarian and is currently employed (but looking for other opportunities) and they seem to be rather limited in the Phoenix area. However, she went to Kansas State and has a lot more professional connections in Kansas City. I work in auto insurance (claims) and can pretty much work anywhere for anyone.

I have a few concerns (some likely unfounded) about moving to the Kansas City area and I'd like to see how valid, invalid they are:

1.) How often does it snow (and how much at a time) in an average year? (I understand that this past winter was not what would be considered "average")

2.) What is the freeway congestion like?

3.) How are the schools? (One of the other reasons we are considering leaving Arizona is because the most of the public schools here are less than stellar)

4.) Are there a lot of decent dog parks around town?

5.) How welcoming are people to people who aren't natives to the area?

6.) Do you generally like living in the area, by and large?

7.) Is there an advantage to living and working in the same state? (I'd prefer to live in Missouri over Kansas but the job prospects for my girlfriend are better in Kansas due to licensing).

8.) Are there any "walkable" family-friendly neighborhoods out there?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post

1.) How often does it snow (and how much at a time) in an average year? (I understand that this past winter was not what would be considered "average")
It is very inconsistent. We can go from having like a couple of two inch dustings to having several 6 plus inch storms in a year. I would say on average we see about 3 to 4 light snows (less than 3 inches), a couple of medium snows ( 4 to 6 inches) and then one that is more than six.

The weather is my biggest complaint about living here. The weather is very unpredictable and we do not get nearly enough days where it is above 80 degrees.

I actually wouldnt mind living in Phoenix (more like Glendale). I love it down there and the weather is more my style.

Quote:
It isnt too bad unless there is road construction but that seems to happen a lot. That isnt taking into consideration the East part of the city as I have never worked or lived out that way. Going from North to South isnt too bad at all.

This is only taking into consideration rush hour. Any other time then highways are just fine unless there is construction or a wreck.

Quote:
3.) How are the schools? (One of the other reasons we are considering leaving Arizona is because the most of the public schools here are less than stellar)
As long as you arent in the KCMO proper school district, the schools are great. Our suburban school districts are all very good to fantastic. All the Johnson County school districts are top notch and the ones on the Missouri side are too. Just stay out of KCMO School District and your kids will get a great education.

Just a note- The part of KC that is north of the river is not the KCMO school district, it is the NKC school district and NKC is a great district.

Quote:
I believe so. I have a dog but have never been to a dog park. There are a lot of parks pretty much everywhere though. I dont really know the difference between a dog park and a regular park but I have heard people talk about dog parks.

Quote:
People do complain that people are clichish here but overall, people are very friendly. I have a few friends that only moved here a few years ago and they made several friends and ended up meeting their wives or soon-to-be wives within a couple of years. You just have to get out and meet people and you will make some good friends.

Quote:
Yes, I live in the Northland (Clay and Platte counties) and I like it overall. As I said before, I wish I could change the weather. However, I prefer it to be like 75 to 90 degrees every day with no precipitation or wind or clouds.

Quote:
7.) Is there an advantage to living and working in the same state? (I'd prefer to live in Missouri over Kansas but the job prospects for my girlfriend are better in Kansas due to licensing).
I live in Missouri and work in Kansas and the only disadvantage of that is that you have to pay income tax for two states. However, I generally get a return from Kansas and pay Missouri. I believe that taxes paid to another state is deductable in your home state but I could be wrong.

KCMO has a 1% earnings tax and you pay that if you live there or you work there but you dont get hit twice if you both live and work there.

Quote:
Well, most neighborhoods have sidewalks and you see people walking out and about. If you mean walkable like being able to walk to stores and what not, that is limited for the most park. Brookside offers that but it is in the KCMO school district. The neighborhoods in JoCo right by Town Center Plaza too. Also, the neighborhoods right by Zona Rosa in Platte County as well.

If you want to live in Missouri, I highly suggest Clay and Platte counties as options. It is cheaper to live here than many areas and pretty much everything north I-35 or so is just as nice as you will find in JoCo, Lee's Summit and some of the other areas that many consider to be the nicest in the city.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM

109 posts, read 308,150 times
My opinions (but should be accepted as fact since I've lived here for 24 years):

1. It does snow. I remember some winters when the worst snow was 2 inches. I remember others when it was 18 inches. Last winter was pretty extreme with about 3 12-inch or more snowfalls. You should expect to have to shovel every so often each winter, but rarely are you actually "snowed in."

2. Freeway congestion will slow you down 5-10 minutes max during peak rush-hour times. It's laughable compared to other big cities.

3. KCMO public schools are bad. But, most immediate suburbs (including those close-in), have highly-rated schools. Kansas Schools are generally pretty stellar, including the ones just across the state line like Shawnee Mission East.

4. The only public dog park I know of is Penn Valley in Midtown. If there are others, I would love to know about them as well.

5. Very welcoming. Just don't be a redneck.

6. What is this, an interview? Just kidding. Actually, growing up I could never wait to get out of the city. In the last decade or so, since my wife and I have been established and grown businesses, we have made serious connections that we would never give up. We love our city and it's neighborhoods and it's recent development. We will never leave.

7. There is an earnings tax of 1% in KCMO. If you stay out of the city proper, you can avoid it. Otherwise, you get tax credit for taxes paid across the state line, so don't worry about it.

8. There are lots of walkable family-friendly neighborhoods. I assume by this, you mean safe, near parks, near businesses (restaurants, bars, stores, entertainment, etc). My favorite is Brookside. It's where I live. I didn't start out here, but I always wanted to end up here. It's close to the plaza as well. It's about as ideal of a walkable family-friendly neighborhood as I could imagine. Brookside | The Official Website of the Brookside Business Association

Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
1. 20" is typical. This winter we had more. The previous couple of winters we had hardly any snow at all. Snowfall is not gentle in this part of the country. It usually falls several inches at a time, and is often accompanied by high wind. I don't think it's a big deal. But I've never lived in a city where winter is mild by comparison.

2. We have more highway miles than most metropolitan areas. Congestion is below average for a city of this size.

3. Most of the good school districts are in the suburbs, or in Kansas City north of the Missouri River. Kansas City, Missouri Public Schools, which is a now-small district in Kansas City, south of the Missouri river, has a long and troubled history. That will be a conflicting consideration, because parts of Kansas City, Missouri itself will have a lot of what you want in a neighborhood.

4. Dog culture is big. You shouldn't have a problem finding a dog park wherever you live.

5. In this part of the country, you'll find people still hanging out with their high school cliques. Others might have that central/midwest U.S. inferiority complex. But overall people are quite friendly.

6. Yes

7. I live in Kansas and work in Missouri. Discounting the federal income tax, I generally break even. I know plenty of people who do the opposite-- live in Missouri and work in Kansas. Taxes are slightly higher in Kansas. For example, there is a seven-cent difference in the price of gasoline. Kansas City, Missouri has a 1% earnings tax if you live or work in the city.

8. It depends on what you want out of a walkable neighborhood, but there are plenty of both sides of the state line.

Last edited by RadioSilence; 05-14-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 PM

I see RjRobb beat me to clicking Submit, but he has nearly the exact same answers. The one point I will disagree with him on is that JOCO could be considered walkable. This is an intense point of rivalry between the KS and MO side, but I cannot fathom how crossing 8-lanes of traffic to get to a strip mall like Town Center could be considered walkable.

I will concede that the area he speaks of is far safer than nearly any area in KCMO.

We are Brooksiders for life, though. The baby will either go to Hale Cook if it gets it's act together, or private school.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 PM

Ok, here's the follow up question.

What is this rivalry between KS and MO that keeps being brought up on this forum?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 PM

My interpretation: It's just silliness. Johnson County (KS) has deep pockets but is newer and snobbier. Jackson County (MO) has more character and charm, and is more attractive to the younger crowd. It's only natural to throw stones over the state line and make fun of each other. I'm biased in favor of KCMO. The thing I detest most about JOCO is the fact that it's a concrete jungle of strip malls and it can take you 10 minute to go one mile down a road like Metcalf. But it's safer and more predictable. A lot of people prefer it, just not me.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 PM

Gotcha. In my 6 days in the area last week, I seemed to like Johnson County north of 95th St. but wasn't much of a fan of it south.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 PM

North of 95th Street in JOCO is definitely older. Which, in my opinion, means better. There are charming downtown areas of Overland Park, Mission, Merriam, and all the other nearby suburbs there. I think that if you're gonna live in JOCO, at least you gotta be inside the 435 loop (N of approx. 103rd St).

Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I am a transplant, having lived here for close to six years. I moved from an adjacent midwestern state, but spent my life much further north than KC.

Quote:
The winters I have lived here have been either completely mild, or mostly mild, with a couple of big storm systems that dumped a lot of snow in an isolated fashion. Long, brutal winters with snow accumulation that lasts and lasts and no sun for weeks at a time have not been my experience. Granted, I'm used to up north, but it's pretty much a nothing winter, IMO.

Quote:
Nothing, for the most part. Driving here is a piece of cake.

Quote:
One urban public district, which serves a portion of the core, is so poorly performing that it has been stripped of accreditation twice and is currently unaccredited. Surrounding districts, much better.

Quote:
The suburbs have some decent ones. In the city itself, not so much. They exist, but I don't think they're nice. Shawnee Mission Park's offleash area and dog beach at the lake is by far the nicest dog park in the metro.

Quote:
I moved here knowing nobody but my then-boyfriend, with no family for 500 miles, and people have been so nice that once my boyfriend and I were no longer together, and it was time to decide whether to stay or go, it was a no-brainer to stay.

Quote:
Love it. It suits me perfectly.

Quote:
IMO, no. It makes filing income tax have a few extra steps, but to me, it's no biggie.

Quote:
Yup, but you have to be careful re: the public school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City