Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

Going to be working in KC for several weeks. Looking for must see/do things to fit into my itinerary. I'm really into diners, drive ins and dives, so I will be looking into that. Im also looking for good seafood and possibly good night life. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 PM

40 posts, read 70,251 times
Oklahoma Joe's BBQ - for the food and for the ambiance
Country Club Plaza - for the shopping and restaurants
Westport - for the more low key, hipster-style nightlife, as well as some cool restaurants/shops
Power & Light District - for the party, night-on-the-town nightlife, with more restaurants

EDIT: There are some drive-ins around KC, but assuming that your love of drive-ins coincides with a love of movies, I'd suggest checking out the Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet Theater for a movie down in Power and Light. It's a little bit pricey, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a movie viewing experience anywhere like that in the county. I'd give you more details, but I don't want to ruin the surprise. Just take my word for it.. and make sure to see a movie in one of the "Cinema Suites".

Last edited by stevman22889; 09-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Here's a city guide along the Main St bus line...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

For quirky/funky to ethnic eats, check out Xroads, w39th to Westport. City Market also good for ethnic eats/goods and a good place to hang out weekend morning/afternoon. If you are here early in month, be sure to check out First Friday's in Xroads gallery district (about 60-80 arts related spaces) and West Bottoms the following Saturday for an antique/funk spaces walk.

My favorite regular places from dives to quirky to ethnic eats to lounges that you can lookup on yelp: Lulu's Thai, Grinders, Succotash, You Say Tomato, bluestem, Manifest/Reiger, The Drop, Velvet Dog, Newsroom, Daves' Stagecoach Inn, Blarney Stone (and a tiny place next door that just says 'cocktails'), Town Tavern, Blue Koi (noodle soups), Vietnam Cafe, Little Egypt, Zaina (med), Korma Sutra (Indian) most of the ethnic eats around City Market. KCK has a lot of good street taco joints like El Camino Real, Ninfas, San Antonio Tortillaria and a bunch of others. Rico's Tacos Lupe and El Patron are good ones on SW Blvd but most of Blvd is KC liquid cheesemex. A couple diner dives: Dagwoods (KCKon SW blvd) and City Diner (City Market). Most anyplace for good quality seafood is going to be higher end with the exception of sushi places. Most James Beard category places have above avg seafood like Bluestem, Room 39, Reiger, Michael Smiths, Extra Virgin, Justis Drugstore, La Bodega, Julian, Grand St Cafe, pretty much any contemp leaning dining place. KC does actually have a couple good seafood suppliers who get coastal contractors that go for the morning boats for first pickings and flown in each morning. There are a bunch of sushi places in KC but nothing that stands out.

If you are familiar with LTH foodie forum out of Chicago, one of the guys who started it is now in KC and started a foodie site in KC that points out good places to go, some deep down the rabbit hole...

LTHForumKC.com • Index page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City