Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM

188 posts, read 358,775 times

Advertisements

My husband may have the chance to transfer soon to KC so we went out for a few days to look around and see if it's somewhere we may like. I am originally from Long Island NY, then lived in Las Vegas a long time. The last few years we have moved around to a few small towns in Colorado, Arkansas and now am in Branson, MO. I am soooo ready to move back to an area near a big city.

KC was not as big city as I expected. I was expecting to see tons of people all over the streets during the day in the downtown area, but just about everywhere we went was deserted. I guess I was hoping for a mini Manhattan, which it's not even close to. haha. Still, I think it is somewhere we could really like.

We spent some time in the Country Club Plaza area and I loved it. Just about all of our favorite big chain restaurants are there and I loved the feel of the area. I also loved the look and feel of the old houses that surrounded the area to the west of it.

Westport had such a different feel to it and I am not sure about that area. I would really like an old house, 100 yr or so, in walking distance to shops. So it looks like Westport has that. We also went around Brookside and of course it's gorgeous.

Hyde Park was a definte no. I know there are a few blocks that are very beautiful and I love the old houses but it's was too close to Troost. We drove down Troost a few times getting around. It's not somewhere I want to live near and Hyde Park is just too close.

Lees Summit seems nice but more of your average town with nice houses and lots of big box chain stores. Which I actually want to be near lots of. But, it just seemed boring compared to the Plaza and Brookside area.

We were only there 2 days so of course we did not see everything and if I spend
more time there I may have different attitudes towards the areas. Looking forward to going back soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,814,293 times
Yeah, downtown is improving but still pretty dead unless there are events going on. It can be thumping when many events happen at same time. Westport/Plaza tends to have more consistent street activity. Sounds like you want to be in the burbs. Also check out Parkville/Riverside area just N of downtown. Has big box stores nearby but also close to city.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,011,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post

KC was not as big city as I expected. I was expecting to see tons of people all over the streets during the day in the downtown area, but just about everywhere we went was deserted. I guess I was hoping for a mini Manhattan, which it's not even close to. haha. Still, I think it is somewhere we could really like.
Most people come into KC with the opposite expectation. They expect some cow town with no skyline or very little downtown and then get shocked that we actually have a city and urban culture here.

Did you check out the Northland part of the city at all which is Clay and Platte counties. No matter where you are up here, you are within 20 minutes of anything downtown or the plaza. It has plenty of big box stores and chain restaurants as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: