Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM

102 posts, read 174,043 times

Advertisements

As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Columbia, having heard and read about its superior quality of life. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Having grown up in NYC, snow, cold and, yes even the rain, do not scare me, though it has been more than twenty years since I actually lived through a "real" winter. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Would Columbia be a good fit? Any additional information about living in the Columbia is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,772,438 times
Hopefully the moderator can get this moved to the general MO forum so yu can get some better answers, but I'm happy to start.

I went to school in Columbia and it's really a great town. It's not the single most progressive place I've ever lived as a whole, but it definitely has plenty of granola types living a similar lifestyle. Green space and the wonderful parks (my favorite is Stephens Lake Park) are one of CoMo's best features. There aren't any highrises in Columbia, so no worries on that, and your budget is very solid. Staying away from students, particularly in rental units, can be difficult but there are some complexes that don't rent to undergrads. You might also consider renting a house if you can find one.

You might check out this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/misso...-columbia.html

Feel free to come back and ask any follow-up questions as you have them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City