Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,873 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving to Kansas City in about a month. I've gotten a job near the Plaza and would like to live fairly nearby in KCMO proper. I'm guessing I won't be able to afford Plaza rent and am trying to find an apartment for $600/month or less. I've come across some good candidates and am most impressed so far with Roanoke Court Apts, on Summit St. near Roanoke Park. Does anybody have any specific insight on these particular apartments?

If you have any other suggestions, I'm also looking into Westport, Brookside, Waldo, Rivermarket areas. I'm apartment hunting in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to make a list of places to hit.

I'm a 24-year-old male, single, professional and prefer more of an urban feel, rather than suburbs. Not a huge partier, but do like to go out on the weekends. I've heard some mixed reviews for the Midtown/Westport area, so I will take any insight on that area in general.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
The apartments and management is top notch, i have looked at this building before. You will be located on a fairly busy street though, almost like a highway. That area is more built for driving rather then walking, not a whole ton to walk to in a 5 block radius though, westport is about 7 blocks though

Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Agree with brewcrew. Though I can't speak to the management in particular, the building appears well maintained and clean. The road is extraordinarily busy, but you're an easy walk to both Westport and the 39th St. West area, which is full of coffee shops, restaurants, shops, and bars.

We lived in Westport the first year in Kansas City (we moved from Chicago) and liked it quite well -- we lived in a small complex called Westport Manor which was very nicely updated with granite and stainless and refinished hardwood floors. It was very small (550 sq/ft) which is the reason my SO and me (and our two dogs) moved in a larger place in Volker the next year, but for a single, it would probably be great. The place is extremely dog friendly, so if you hate dogs that wouldn't be good, but otherwise I highly recommend the place. it's $599 for a 13-month lease last time I looked and they often are completely rented.

Our second year we moved to a huge, very vintage apartment in Volker just off 39th Street and we really love it. The neighborhood is friendly and safe and walkable and our apartment, while a touch dumpy is huuuuuuge. OK, maybe not that big, but 1200 is more than double what we had in Westport! There are regularly 1 bedrooms available in my neighborhood for less than $600.
APT- 39TH ST WEST-SHOPPING AND RESTAURANT DIST. (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2609945993.html - broken link)
KU Med area 12 plex 3721 Wyoming St. (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2618253592.html - broken link)
KU Med area 8 plex 3719 Wyoming St (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2618251086.html - broken link)
KU Med area (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2608062727.html - broken link)

Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,873 times
Awesome suggestions and advice. Thanks so much for the help!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
This will help you give some context to the city core, hoods and where there are things to do...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City