Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM

210 posts, read 428,716 times

Advertisements

DC is not like KC.

In other news, a dog is not a cat.

It is funny that a city our size is so interested in 19 year old kids. What other city this big is so college crazy? Aside from cities with major universities (Columbus, Austin). Is Atlanta like this? Charlotte? That would be the ones I would think of. Maybe Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
DC is not like KC.

In other news, a dog is not a cat.

It is funny that a city our size is so interested in 19 year old kids. What other city this big is so college crazy? Aside from cities with major universities (Columbus, Austin). Is Atlanta like this? Charlotte? That would be the ones I would think of. Maybe Houston?
You would think Charlotte, but I have never noticed it being like KC when in town. For example, we went to their cedar fair amusement park (carowinds?) and there were very people wearing college stuff. When you go to Worlds of Fun, it's everywhere. Atlanta and Houston might lean college, but they are so big, it seems like less people are into sports at all in cities like that or at least people don't wear sports stuff around town as much.

Dallas seems like a bigger version of KC to some extent, but still a lesser percent of the population cares.

Those big cities are national transient cities though. KC is a hub city for the rural midwest for the most part. I think that makes a difference.

As far as KC vs DC. I know they are not the alike in any way especially when it comes to how they follow college sports. That was my point in reply to somebody else that thinks otherwise just because DC has some popular colleges.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,984 times
^
I cannot think of any big college crazed cities, Raleigh Durham might be the only one.

It is really starting to irk me while waiting for flights to or from KC how much KU junk i see, i am going to start asking these people if they are alumni of this school.

I am from Wisconsin and I rarely see Badgers shirts while boarding a flight to milwaukee or even at the Chicago airports where there are lots of Badger Alumni.
Hell i barely see people wearing Badgers gear in Madison, maybe people just have a sense of style in other parts of the country but if you sit outside the cabelas or anywhere at Legends you will see hundreads of people with KU or K State college gear.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

210 posts, read 428,716 times
I lived in Cleveland for a time, and while they do like college sports (Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State are all nearby and Notre Dame has a decent following), its still clearly a pro town (Browns, then Indians, and Cavs were up there when LeBron was there).

Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
^
I cannot think of any big college crazed cities, Raleigh Durham might be the only one.

It is really starting to irk me while waiting for flights to or from KC how much KU junk i see, i am going to start asking these people if they are alumni of this school.

I am from Wisconsin and I rarely see Badgers shirts while boarding a flight to milwaukee or even at the Chicago airports where there are lots of Badger Alumni.
Hell i barely see people wearing Badgers gear in Madison, maybe people just have a sense of style in other parts of the country but if you sit outside the cabelas or anywhere at Legends you will see hundreads of people with KU or K State college gear.
We always joke that it's always easy to find the gate to a KC bound flight. I have seen entire families waiting at a gate in ku gear. They are not even going to a game, It won't even be basketball season, just in vacation clothes. It's comical and looks pretty hick in an airport in DC, Chicago etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
^
Pretty much any city within the SEC. If you all think Kansas City is crazy, those people will literally physically harm or kill each other over the colleges they follow. Kansas City has nothing on a city like Atlanta.

Quote:
Why would what other people wear irk you in anyway? College clothing is normal clothing. It isnt anything revealing or racy. It would be simple hats, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. I dont see how that could irk anyone unless they have a stick up their ass.

Quote:
Hundreds? Really? Sitting out there a whole weekend maybe or a week? I spend a ton a time at Legends. In fact, I out there Saturday for a few hours and barely saw any college gear and I was even watching college football at Yardhouse.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,984 times
At Cabelas last christmas I saw at least 100 people with either K State or KU gear, i swear. Legends might be a little different, an Outlet Mall is a little classier for someone from Hay Kansas then a Cabelas.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's comical and looks pretty hick in an airport in DC, Chicago etc.
hick? comical? You are one of the most ridiculous, judgmental people I have ever come across. I dont know what kind of complex you have that makes you think that because you are not into something that it is less than you. You really must be a miserable human being to judge people that much based on their interest. Just because you have no interest in it you feel all high and mighty over those that like to represent the university they support. Guess what? It's something positive. Not something negative. I truly pity and feel sorry for you that you would put down people based on what they wear.

They are t-shirts, sweatshirts and hats and guess what? Since those people are traveling they probably choose something comfortable to wear. Most of my comfortable t-shirts and sweatshirts I would choose to travel in have sports teams on them because that is what I own. Nothing about that is comical or "hick". Hick would be someone wearing overalls and a John Deere hat.

I dont know what you think gives you the right to pass such judgment. I am sure you have interest such as photography? What if someone said that a person that walks around with a camera taking pictures is comical or threw some kind of insult?

You post on here like you know so much about KC and everything else but when I read most of your post I see a clueless naive person that thinks they know more than they do.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
At Cabelas last christmas I saw at least 100 people with either K State or KU gear, i swear. Legends might be a little different, an Outlet Mall is a little classier for someone from Hay Kansas then a Cabelas.

Did you count them?

Cabela's is a part of the Legend's complex.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM

It looks hick out here. I think it even looks pretty stupid in KC, but it's much more out of place out here. Mayby not hick. Strong word. Just small townish or rural I guess.

And brewcrew is right about the legends. It is what it is. I took some people out there from St Louis a few months ago and that's the first thing they noticed. All the "kansas college clothing" people were wearing.

Kstate is not as bad as it used to be. Back when they had a good football team, I think they were actually worse than KU when it came to traveling in full Kstate gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City