Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM

246 posts, read 498,509 times

Advertisements

1. I've noticed (on-line searches) that the city of St. Joseph has what seems to be a large number of Italianate-style homes. Is this because the homes were built during a period when it was the popular architectural style and local riches could afford it? Is the dominance of Italianate found in other cities in this region (e.g., Kansas City)?

2. Many of St. Joe's historically significant homes are eye-stoppers, but an amazing number seem to be in poor condition or in total dis-repair. What has led to the loss of such magnificent buildings, and how healthy are efforts to preserve and restore these structures?

3. The housing project on Angelique Street (between 12th and 15th) seems totally out of character for the area it's put in: the building style is so different, the street layout is so different, and the population density is so different than the historic norm. I realize that this might be an emotional topic for some folks, but what led to the decision to put the buildings in this area, and (on aggregate), has this been a successful project? Please be as objective as possible (i.e., no ranting).

For the record, I'm considering retiring and living in St. Joe in a couple of years, but do not have a history of being from this area. I did go to school at Conception Abbey (near Maryville) back in the late 60's, however, and was struck by the friendliness and hospitality of the folks there and in Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 PM

11 posts, read 57,770 times
In the 1880's and 1890's, St. Joseph was a very prosperous city, outfitting people who were travelling further west. Great warehouses were built, some of which still remain. Wonderful houses of all styles were also built at that time, due to the wealth of the merchants.

Many locals do not want to restore the old houses or live in the old part of town, which they see as dangerous. As someone who lives in the old part of town (Museum Hill), I personally have not had any problems that I have not had in so-called "good" neighborhoods. There are several historic districts in St. Joseph, and some are on the National Register. These neighborhoods have active neighborhood associations, and new old-house people are welcomed with open arms. There has been a great deal of improvement in my neighborhood since we have been here (about 20 years), and more restoration happens all the time.

The Oak Ridge housing project was built on the grounds of an old convent. As a former social worker who spent lots of time at this project, I found that, although there is some crime, there is an on-duty security guard, and the residents are screened carefully. There are also reading activities, etc. for the children of the housing project on site. I live only two blocks from this housing project and have had no problems with living nearby. I do not know the history of why the project was built on those grounds, because that was before my time in St. Joseph. However, I think there was an unsuccessful movement to save the beautiful old buildings of the convent.

If you do not want to live in a racially mixed neighborhood, you need to look to the east side of town where the suburbs are. But if you want to live in a neighborhood where everyone does not look like you, these old St. Joseph neighborhoods are for you. You will find many educated and culturally aware people in these old neighborhoods. My next-door neighbor is a university professor from Uganda. My husband and I, as well as many other neighbors, are college-educated people. An then we have African-Americans, Africans from Africa, Latinos, as well as Caucasions, who are or are not so educated. We have an interesting mix of race, income, and social class, and that is what makes a neighborhood vibrant to me.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 AM

Thank you for the reply to my questions. I am intriqued by a lack of interest in restoring & maintaining the beautiful and historic old homes in Saint Joseph, but can appreciate the difficulties that doing so entail. Personally, I like the ethnic diversity that you mention, but would be worried about living in the vicinity of a large subsidized housing project (noted, however, is that you currently do live there, and have experienced no significant problems). Generally, I believe that home owners bring more stability & pride to a neighborhood than renters, so that's the basis of my concern. Any time you have to have a full-time security guard on the premises, then, in my opinion, that's probably not a good sign. Nonetheless, I do value your experiences with residing in the area, so the aformentioned housing would not be an automatic concern. Again, thank you for stepping in and giving me the benefit of your experiences and thoughts.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:59 PM

I agree with you that home ownership is a sign of stability in a neighborhood, and that is why I encourage people like you to consider buying a home here! Our neighborhood, Museum Hill, has quite a few families who are restoring old homes here; we just need more. In the almost 20 years we have lived in the neighborhood, we have seen so much improvement. It's too bad that most people who have the money to take on an old house have the mistaken impression that it is not that safe. Yes, there is occasional crime, but this is not a huge city, so there is not that much crime. We are friendly to our neighbors and mind our own business, so no one bothers us. We own a two-family rental across the street from us, so we can control who lives there. Most people who are looking for trouble do not want to live across the street from the landlord. There are two other duplexes on the block that have good tenants. The owner of the one next door to us used to rent to just anybody until I had a talk with him, and now he has a rental agency handle it and we have had good neighbors since.

I would be happy to show you the city and some of the progress that has been made in the old neighborhoods. I'm not sure how to send you a private message, but let me know if you want my phone # or email address.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM

I forgot to tell you that Lisa Rock (you can find her online) is a realtor who specializes in old houses. I don't know her personally, but she has an excellent reputation. She could show you old houses here and share her knowledge with you.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catperson1947 View Post
I forgot to tell you that Lisa Rock (you can find her online) is a realtor who specializes in old houses. I don't know her personally, but she has an excellent reputation. She could show you old houses here and share her knowledge with you.
Again, thanks for your extra effort, and I'll keep Ms. Rock in mind. I'm presently out of the country, though, and won't be in a position to contact her for a while.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
The homes on Museum Hill are beautiful.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 AM

223 posts, read 334,414 times
This was such an interesting discussion to read. I've always really liked St. Joe. It seems to be the way with a lot of the amazing architecture found in Missouri. What has happened to Saint Louis breaks my heart, so many properties lost.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 944 times
Default Old Homes in St Joseph

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I'm also looking at relocating to St Joseph, and have been looking for information on the town. I've been looking for a historical home to buy and have been talking with Lisa Rock as mentioned in one of the earlier posts. What a great source of information! I'm wondering what revitalization efforts (if any) the city leadership is undertaking. Are there any initiatives to promote business growth, historic preservation, economic activity, etc. ? I just retired from the Air Force and my family (wife and 2 kids - 10 and 12) are looking for a place to call home after traveling the world. We currently live in Northern Virginia and want a slower pace of life - but I want my kids to get a good education. We love historic homes, diverse neighborhoods, and don't need too much to keep us entertained. I've thought about purchasing rental property as a small business to generate extra income and keep me busy (historic buildings also). Does anyone have any opinions on St Joseph and any insight on my questions?

Thanks!
Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City