Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Merle was great

He was also a member of Rockwood CC. Saw him there a few times.
Here is a paste from Wikipedia as to what happened to him after he was fired from the A's after a disagreement with management--that is, Charlie Finley, chuckle.

"Harmon's first experience on national television came in 1961 when he was hired by ABC Sports to anchor various studio shows and call college football games. He, along with Chris Schenkel and Keith Jackson, were the play-by-play announcers for the network's baseball Game of the Week in 1965. His broadcast partner was Jackie Robinson."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 11:40 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Here is the view from 1963. Elmwood is the north/south street near the right side. Cleveland is just left of center. Sni-a-bar is not on the same file.

Ok there it is! MAD you are The Man, thanks!

The Stadium outfield fence is obscured by the Magic Marker. You can clearly see the infield and barely make out the major league-ish type dugouts. Which were rare back then, as well as the green fences similar to old Municipal Stadium. Made us feel like we playing in a "Real" ballpark. Maybe the Ban Johnson site(s) had them too, elsewhere they were screened in metal benches and screen fences (those that even had fences).

That must be the parking lot to the right.

I didn't realize the outfield fences abutted Mel Hilliard's. Mel must have been low on inventory in June 63 as that big lot looks rather empty, save for the employee's cars.

The tree area behind and to the the sides provided the "eerie" sights and sounds at summer nite games. 3&2 played its All-Star games there and shared playoff sites with all teams and divisions that were playing at the same time. Another was @ 47th & Agnes, which had lights and fronted Brush Creek to the north.

The current 3&2 complex off Bannister was conceived in the same year, 1963. I remember play opening in time for the 64 season. Can't remember if the old Stadium was placed out of service or continued as a site from 1964 on.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Here is a paste from Wikipedia as to what happened to him after he was fired from the A's after a disagreement with management--that is, Charlie Finley, chuckle.

"Harmon's first experience on national television came in 1961 when he was hired by ABC Sports to anchor various studio shows and call college football games. He, along with Chris Schenkel and Keith Jackson, were the play-by-play announcers for the network's baseball Game of the Week in 1965. His broadcast partner was Jackie Robinson."

I loved Buddy Blattner too and was shocked when he was let go

"And this one BELONGS to the ROYALS"

Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
West of Cleveland Street is the ball park that is today Satchel Paige Stadium. I dont see any evidence of a fire in the grandstands, four years earlier.

The north-south concrete stands are still there today and were added by the Catholic church for football games. Ten years before joining the Chiefs, Bill Grigsby did football play by play live TV broadcasting from this field during the 1953 fall season when Channel 25 was in existence.

If my imagination is working properly, that dark area extending east from the stands on 51st Street and around Swope Parkway looks like the netting that was held in place by tall poles to keep baseballs from going out on the streets. Apparently, the kids today don't hit balls out in the streets.....

Newsflash! I DO remember that now. It was known as O'Hara Stadium and served as the home field for the Ban Johnson League. Went to many a game there but until this thread, had completely slipped the aging mind . . .sigh

Old 01-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Newsflash! I DO remember that now. It was known as O'Hara Stadium and served as the home field for the Ban Johnson League. Went to many a game there but until this thread, had completely slipped the aging mind . . .sigh
Archbishop O'Hara it was, chuckle.

Can you confirm there was advertising billboards around the outfield and the netting along 51st and Swope Parkway. From the outside looking in, my opinion was that this would have made a good minor league field.

When did you last attend a game there?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I loved Buddy Blattner too and was shocked when he was let go

"And this one BELONGS to the ROYALS"

I forgot about Buddy Blattner.

Harmon retired to Arlington, TX and died there in 2009. Blattner died the same year.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
The property in question was indeed the site of a Civil War skirmish, part of the Battle of Independence. It was later the Swope Estate, where the infamous deaths occurred. It is now the RLDS campus and campground.
Somehow I missed this post

Damn, two outta four guesses were spot on. A new personal record !

Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Somehow I missed this post

Damn, two outta four guesses were spot on. A new personal record !
A great way for you to celebrate would be to post our next mystery, memory topic, or question!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Today's Examiner's 100 years ago column mentions the opening of the city quarry. It was on Pacific between Pleasant and River. Do any of have any recollection of such an operation there?

Old 01-31-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Today's Examiner's 100 years ago column mentions the opening of the city quarry. It was on Pacific between Pleasant and River. Do any of have any recollection of such an operation there?
I was not alive then, chuckle.

No, but interesting.

The 1859 Jail cell slabs came from a quarry on Rock Creek, so they must not have known anything about any potential rock on Pacific.

Seems like there would be some evidence of a former operation, today. Maybe it did not pan out like they thought it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City