Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

From the Examiner in 1913:

"The people of Independence will get an entirely new viewpoint of basketball to what they formerly had. The Company F Team and Wentworth will play what is called the collegiate style. The main difference and what appeals to the spectator in collegiate is the allowing of the dribble or bouncing of the ball along the floor and then shooting at the basket without having to first pass to another player; thus insuring a game where speed and fire are the main points. Only two games will be played in Independence under the Collegiate Rules."

Maybe someone knows the original method of playing basketball when there was no dribbling. Each basket was one point, also.

I have heard that the first basket was a peach basket like that below. The grocery store types on this forum will remember these from the fifties.

At any rate, after every successful shot, someone had to be stationed on a ladder to retrieve the basketball and put it back in play. Then someone got the bright idea to cut the bottom out of the basket. But this did not entirely solve the problem as the ball did not fall out of the basket and back onto the floor. A long pole had to be used from below to poke the basketball out through the top of the basket. About fifteen years after the sport was introduced, a metal hoop was introduced allowing the ball to go through the net

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:23 PM

"Independence city officials project that 20,000 to 25,000 people will be living in the Little Blue River Valley in 20 to 25 years and that retail centers will dot the area."

Anyone want to guess when this statement was made?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:29 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
"Independence city officials project that 20,000 to 25,000 people will be living in the Little Blue River Valley in 20 to 25 years and that retail centers will dot the area."

Anyone want to guess when this statement was made?
That sounds like justification for the annexations of the early 1970s.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
That sounds like justification for the annexations of the early 1970s.

This prediction was actually made in 1998, almost twenty years ago. A similar prediction was made some thirty years earlier. So, for fifty years nothing much has happened.

According to Google and me, the Little Blue River meanders 10.65 miles from Highway 24 in the north to M-291 in the south. Very little of this area is developed and what development there is, is limited to an area around I-70 along the southern portion.

The opening of the Little Blue Valley Expressway a couple years ago was supposed to have sped development of the area.

Who knows. Phase I of The Community Church of Christ development of 3,000 acres may actually get some things started for a boom.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:16 PM

409 posts, read 293,197 times
Do any of you guys remember Stayton Meadows Golf Course being located on Old 40 Hwy at some point?

An old newspaper article describes it as being located "north of 47th St. on old U.S. highway 40 and east of Sterling Ave," which I believe puts it in Independence? I'm wondering if the newspaper was in error, though. The website for Royal Meadows (as the club is now called) says that Stayton Meadows was originally built in the 1930s, but says nothing about it being anyplace other than where it is now, which is on 47th between Pittman Rd. and Hedges.

Thanks in advance. I am running out of time or I'd pursue this myself; it's just one of many facts I'm trying to corral. Possibly little-known fact: wherever the golf course was, in the 1960s, its site was one of the top three contenders for the main campus of the new community college.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Do any of you guys remember Stayton Meadows Golf Course being located on Old 40 Hwy at some point?

An old newspaper article describes it as being located "north of 47th St. on old U.S. highway 40 and east of Sterling Ave," which I believe puts it in Independence? I'm wondering if the newspaper was in error, though. The website for Royal Meadows (as the club is now called) says that Stayton Meadows was originally built in the 1930s, but says nothing about it being anyplace other than where it is now, which is on 47th between Pittman Rd. and Hedges.

Thanks in advance. I am running out of time or I'd pursue this myself; it's just one of many facts I'm trying to corral. Possibly little-known fact: wherever the golf course was, in the 1960s, its site was one of the top three contenders for the main campus of the new community college.
An easy one. Stayton Meadows was a 27 hole golf course straddling US 40 Highway west of Sterling. At that time if you were westbound on US 40 from Noland it continued due west at what is now Sutherland's Lumber, instead of curving NW. West of Pittman Road it curved SW, and then WNW on what is today Raytown Road from 47th down into the Leeds area. A few (well at least ten) years ago the 9 holes north of what is now 47th St was sold off for housing. The remaining 18 holes are south of 47th.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:19 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
From the Examiner in 1913:

"The people of Independence will get an entirely new viewpoint of basketball to what they formerly had. The Company F Team and Wentworth will play what is called the collegiate style. The main difference and what appeals to the spectator in collegiate is the allowing of the dribble or bouncing of the ball along the floor and then shooting at the basket without having to first pass to another player; thus insuring a game where speed and fire are the main points. Only two games will be played in Independence under the Collegiate Rules."

Maybe someone knows the original method of playing basketball when there was no dribbling. Each basket was one point, also.

I have heard that the first basket was a peach basket like that below. The grocery store types on this forum will remember these from the fifties.

At any rate, after every successful shot, someone had to be stationed on a ladder to retrieve the basketball and put it back in play. Then someone got the bright idea to cut the bottom out of the basket. But this did not entirely solve the problem as the ball did not fall out of the basket and back onto the floor. A long pole had to be used from below to poke the basketball out through the top of the basket. About fifteen years after the sport was introduced, a metal hoop was introduced allowing the ball to go through the net

Wow - not being able ta dribble the basketball must've been kind of...umm...slow - and frustrating. Makes our current NCAA Division I and NBA basketball seem light years ahead. And the pole ta pop the ball out, man, things take time - sometimes.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
An easy one. Stayton Meadows was a 27 hole golf course straddling US 40 Highway west of Sterling. At that time if you were westbound on US 40 from Noland it continued due west at what is now Sutherland's Lumber, instead of curving NW. West of Pittman Road it curved SW, and then WNW on what is today Raytown Road from 47th down into the Leeds area. A few (well at least ten) years ago the 9 holes north of what is now 47th St was sold off for housing. The remaining 18 holes are south of 47th.
I remember part of 47th being called Old 40 Highway. Do you know when "new" 40 Highway connection was completed? And if so, was it built along an existing right of way, or constructed thru vacant land?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:59 AM

409 posts, read 293,197 times
Quote:
Thanks Anthonie!

Would what you describe have still been true in the mid-1960s? I assumed that Stayton was planning to relocate the 40 Hwy part of the golf course since they were willing to sell some of the land to the junior college district.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Thanks Anthonie!

Would what you describe have still been true in the mid-1960s? I assumed that Stayton was planning to relocate the 40 Hwy part of the golf course since they were willing to sell some of the land to the junior college district.
The nine holes north of 47th were still being played until at least the turn of the century (21st). That section of land was more than large enough for a community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City