Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Kansas City in the next few weeks and I would like to get some insight from current and past residents.

I am a young professional, 27 years old, single, and I prefer the extraodinary/unique to the ordinary, aka, I prefer family owned restaurants instead of the chain eateries, I would rather go to a local independent movie theater than than a Hawkins or a Regal movie house. I also like hitting up the bars on the weekends and hope to live near other young people so I can meet some new people easily.

I also would like a short commute or go the opposite direction of traffic. I am working near I-70 and 32. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BTFU07; 03-20-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,466,389 times
If you want more urban/alternative i would suggest Union Hill which is a young professional area but really only has bars to walk to, River Market which very nice but more walking friendly with nice local restaurants,corner markets and other living amentites all within walking distance, and the Volker/West Plaza which have some great restaurants.

If you want something cheaper, the Hyde Park area might suit you, but you will have a short drive to any restaurant/bar you would want to go to.

All of these areas are close to independent movie theaters and it's the more unique areas of the city. The KS side is pretty much ordinary suburban sprawl with Strip Malls as far as the eye can see.

This whole area you will find non-chains, great bars and young professionals

Old 03-21-2011, 07:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
I would highly suggest looking in Volker -- Craigslist listings are usually best found by searching for KU Med. That'll put you in the heart of one of KC's most eclectic, walkable and interesting neighborhoods 39th Street West I live there and I'm an easy walk from more than a dozen restaurants, a couple bars, two coffee shops, several vintage and boutique stores, a convenience store and a liquor store. 3 major bus lines come through the area as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM

96 posts, read 290,024 times
I moved to KC just under two years ago from Albuquerque and I love living on the West Side. I can easily walk to the Crossroads for First Friday, shows at Grinders or just browse the funky shops and coffee shops. I can also walk to the strip of Mexican shops, restaurants and taquerias on Southwest Blvd when I'm feeling homesick. There are also more upscale options along Summit like the Blue Bird Bistro, Westside Local and the artisan bread shop, Fervre, which makes the best bread I've ever had. They're only open three days a week, and there is usually a line formed at the door before they even open. The Screenland movie theater, which holds monthly roasts of cult classics is also a short walk in the neighborhood. I can also walk to the Power and Light District, and the Sprint Center, but I don't hang out there as much. I'm moving to Denver in June and although I have lots of friends and family there and in NM, I know I will miss this neighborhood. In fact, my best friend in Denver just booked a flight to KC so she can visit me in KC one more time before I move. Based on your post I think the West Side would suit you perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City