Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Even when the Chiefs were drawing 80,000 a game, very few people would go to Arrowhead just to tailgate and not go inside the stadium, I would say less than 50, if that and if they did, chances are they carpooled or came with people that did go, so the spaces they would take up were pretty much nothing out of 20,000 spaces.
How in the world could you possibly know that only 50 or so people do that?

I can assure you that isnt true because I alone have gone out there with a group of 20 people and not a single one of us went to the game. If you walk around in the parking lot during the game you will find 50 people in like 2 minutes that came to tailgate only. There are people that bring box trucks with a TV in back and watch the game in the parking lot. There are a few hundred people that go out there just to tailgate and many of them will even stay in the parking lot during the game and some will leave. I know lots of people that do this and some of my friends do it for every game where the temp is above like 40 degrees.

Quote:
The Chiefs are in total control of parking. They decide what to charge and they keep the revenue. The County has nothing to do with it. Jackson County pretty much bends over the both the Royals and the Chiefs.

Jackson County Sports authority is responsible for the parking and concessions at both stadiums. Last I heard the Chiefs get $1 for each car and the Royals get .30 cents for each car. Parking is one of the top sources of revenue for the Jackson County Sports Authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
If they had decent public transportation they could charge $1,000,000 for parking and I'd still go to the game because I'd have a reasonable alternative. IMO, that's the problem with Arrowhead's location (and Dallas' new stadium too -- it's in an incredibly suburban area across the street from a Wal-Mart) and the reason we haven't made it out to a game even though we've watched them all.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
How in the world could you possibly know that only 50 or so people do that?

I can assure you that isnt true because I alone have gone out there with a group of 20 people and not a single one of us went to the game. If you walk around in the parking lot during the game you will find 50 people in like 2 minutes that came to tailgate only. There are people that bring box trucks with a TV in back and watch the game in the parking lot. There are a few hundred people that go out there just to tailgate and many of them will even stay in the parking lot during the game and some will leave. I know lots of people that do this and some of my friends do it for every game where the temp is above like 40 degrees.
It's not as popular as you make it out to be. I have walked all through the parking lots after the first quarter (parking inventory, taking photos etc) and they clear out except for a few people. 50 or 200, doesn't really matter. It's so small, it has no impact on the parking situation. What impacts parking is the 1000's of people that take up two spots when they have one vehicle for their tents and whatever. But the Chiefs are drawing like 15,000 people less per game then they were when the parking lots were over capacity. That combined with the fact that you can walk up and get a $25 ticket at the gate probably wipes out most of the fans that used to stay in the parking lot when you couldn't even find a single standing room only ticket just to get inside the stadium.

The point of this thread is that, KC is not supporting the team as well as it probably should. Sure more people are staying home. That's an NFL wide issue. But other markets with worse teams that are not playing in brand new stadiums are still drawing good crowds. Denver still has a full house of 75k every single game. So my point is if KC is not able to support the Chiefs, is landing an NHL or NBA team something the city should really even be considering? Maybe the city just doesn't not have the economy to support major league sports anymore. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm saying maybe that could be the case. I have always been a very big supporter and promoter of KC getting an NHL or NBA team. But those tickets cost more than most Chiefs tickets. People even complain about the Royals, the cheapest ticket in MLB.

Quote:
Jackson County Sports authority is responsible for the parking and concessions at both stadiums. Last I heard the Chiefs get $1 for each car and the Royals get .30 cents for each car. Parking is one of the top sources of revenue for the Jackson County Sports Authority.
You got it backswords. Jackson County charges a user fee (it was part of renovation funding) for parking. It's on top of whatever the Royals and Chiefs decide to charge. The County gets $1 for each parked car at Chiefs games and .30 cents for every car the Royals park. The parking fees are up to the teams and they keep that. The teams keep all concession revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If they had decent public transportation they could charge $1,000,000 for parking and I'd still go to the game because I'd have a reasonable alternative. IMO, that's the problem with Arrowhead's location (and Dallas' new stadium too -- it's in an incredibly suburban area across the street from a Wal-Mart) and the reason we haven't made it out to a game even though we've watched them all.

While I totally agree, I think Arrowhead's location is perfect. NFL stadiums do not belong in urban areas unless you can put them in a place that does not create a massive dead zone 355 days a year. Huge football stadiums actually deter urban development and create huge demand for tens of thousands of nearby parking spaces that will sit unused most the time. They destroy urban fabric. Baseball stadiums are half the size and used 8 times as often and can blend in much better with urban fabric. Arenas are even better than baseball stadiums with thier smaller parking footprint and more consistant use.

Arrowhead is fine. KC just needs better transit. The ATA used to have really good service to Chiefs games from park and rides all across the metro. But the feds decided to disallow public transit agencies from servicing venues like stadiums to allow private contractors come in and do it. So now instead of having 200 transit buses and several thousand people riding them, they have a handful of school buses and a few hundred riding them. Nice move by the feds.

But it is one more reason to have a light rail line down I-70 that would serve commuters and the stadiums.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-30-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
It's not as popular as you make it out to be.
Being that I engage in this activity on several occassions and you dont, how would you be a better judge of how popular it is? I have done this dozens of times over the last decade so I can tell you that it is pretty common.

On top of that, my brother worked as a parking attendant in both 2007 and 2008 and told me that hundreds and hundreds of people hang out in the parking lot during the games. He has seen groups of more than a couple of 100 people watching the game on TVs they brought with them mounted in truck beds.

Quote:
What impacts parking is the 1000's of people that take up two spots when they have one vehicle for their tents and whatever.
They can no longer do that. With the new parking rules and management company, they are complete nazis about everything.

Quote:
The point of this thread is that, KC is not supporting the team as well as it probably should.
This city has supported the team better than it should have over the last 20 years. The Kansas City Chiefs organization is one of the most classless, slimeball organizations in this entire country. They have been straight screwing the fans of this city over with their increased ticket prices and mediocre product for years and the fans just kept coming back. The fans finally got fed up (it took far too long) and stopped coming to games. So, the fans are doing what is long overdue. They are making the team pay for an overpriced, crap product that Chiefs fan given them for the last 20 years.

Quote:
You got it backswords. Jackson County charges a user fee (it was part of renovation funding) for parking. It's on top of whatever the Royals and Chiefs decide to charge. The County gets $1 for each parked car at Chiefs games and .30 cents for every car the Royals park. The parking fees are up to the teams and they keep that. The teams keep all concession revenue.

Not based on my sources. I cant find anything online that confirms either side. But, there was an issue with the parking charges at the Manchester United/Wizards game this summer and the Chiefs came forward and told fans that they had no control over parking at any of the events at the stadium and all parking issues and charges were the responsibility of the Jackson County Sports Authority.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
"The Kansas City Chiefs organization is one of the most classless, slimeball organizations in this entire country"
Really?

So do you love the chiefs and go to lots games or not? I'm confused. I've been a chiefs fan since I was a kid and don't really get all wrapped up in all that. We just go out and have a good time. Same with the Royals. It really effects my life very little if they loose all their games or win world titles. We are simply casual fans that enjoy going to games and when the games are over, our lives move on to other things. I was a season ticket holder for many years with both teams and like I said, I parked cars and photographed tailgating (of which there was little to photograph once the game started).

If you ( or your brother) claim there is hundreds of people in the parking lots with no intention of going to the game, so be it. I don't believe you. There are 10,000 empty seats, why would there be hundreds of people watching the game in the parking lot? But whatever you say. None of it really matters since all these non-game going people you are talking about have no impact on what they charge to park. "They" being the teams.

Go get the lease, trust me the county doesn't get **** from those teams. They get a tiny rent payment, but the county pays out several million a year to them, plus the renovation tax. But it doesn't matter if it's the county that sets the prices or the teams.
The prices are set at whatever the market will pay and in KC where there are no alternatives to driving, the market is forced to pay more than it should. I think they have reached limit though. It's obvious parking is now a sore spot with chiefs fans.

Honestly though, parking is usually 90% talk. If the chiefs charged $5 to park, it wouldn't increase attendance much, if at all, only decrease revenue. They know that and that's why they don't lower it.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 PM

91 posts, read 213,491 times
Quote:
The Kansas City Chiefs organization is one of the most classless, slimeball organizations in this entire country. They have been straight screwing the fans of this city over with their increased ticket prices and mediocre product for years and the fans just kept coming back.
What a ridiculous comment.

We had TWO very bad seasons in the last decade. The rest have either been good or competitive. The team wasn't good enough for a few years so the ticket prices become "unreasonable", which is fair enough, but to say that the Chiefs are a slimeball organization that's one of the worst in the country, is utterly ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
So do you love the chiefs and go to lots games or not?
No, I dont love the Chiefs. There really isnt an organization that I despise more. I only go to games when I get a free or cheap ticket from someone. I just enjoy tailgating so I go out and take advantage of that on occasion.

Quote:
If you ( or your brother) claim there is hundreds of people in the parking lots with no intention of going to the game, so be it. I don't believe you. There are 10,000 empty seats, why would there be hundreds of people watching the game in the parking lot?
Because going to the game requires a ticket and the cost the goes with it. Packing into car, splitting the $25 to park between like 4 people, buying a case of beer and some brats is much, much cheaper.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MabelMeister View Post
What a ridiculous comment.
No, it isnt. Talk to people that do business with the Chiefs. Better yet, talk to the charity organizations that the Chiefs screw over. I have a friend who had a small business and the Chiefs damn near put him out of business because of their negligence.

The Chiefs are notorious for backing out on contracts. They sign-up for player appearances and send out a practice squad player that no one has ever heard of or no one shows up at all.

Quote:
We had TWO very bad seasons in the last decade. The rest have either been good or competitive.
You might want to check those numbers. The Chiefs have only won 10 games in the previous 3 seasons before this year. Then, they have only made the playoffs 3 times in the last 15 years. They havent won a playoffs game in 17 years and they have only won 3 playoff games in the last 40 years. Let me repeat that, they have only won 3 playoff games in 40 years and that was in two seasons - 91 and 93.

Do you still want to stand by that comment?

Quote:
The team wasn't good enough for a few years so the ticket prices become "unreasonable", which is fair enough, but to say that the Chiefs are a slimeball organization that's one of the worst in the country, is utterly ridiculous.
There is a company that calculates ticket prices, concession prices, and other costs of attending an NFL game compared to the cost of living for that area. The Chiefs are consistently in the Top 5 of the NFL.

I could go on about the Chiefs and all the things they do. I could write an entire essay about it. So, unless you have an awareness of the business behavior of the Chiefs, you dont really have the knowledge to say whether the Chiefs are slimeball or not, do you?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I could go on about the Chiefs and all the things they do. I could write an entire essay about it. So, unless you have an awareness of the business behavior of the Chiefs, you dont really have the knowledge to say whether the Chiefs are slimeball or not, do you?
I'm sure you know everything dude. You sound like you think you do, so you must.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
You might want to check those numbers. The Chiefs have only won 10 games in the previous 3 seasons before this year. Then, they have only made the playoffs 3 times in the last 15 years. They havent won a playoffs game in 17 years and they have only won 3 playoff games in the last 40 years. Let me repeat that, they have only won 3 playoff games in 40 years and that was in two seasons - 91 and 93.

Do you still want to stand by that comment?
I do bub.

My bad. We've had THREE bad seasons in the last 10 years.

Since 1990, we've had 7 losing seasons. 3 of those were 7-9 seasons. While we haven't won many playoff games, any season you get to the playoffs is a fairly successful season.

You also might not want to try changing the time frames to suit your argument, it's quite misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City