Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times

Advertisements

Rivals High - Team forfeits playoff game due to religious fast
An Orthodox Jewish school's girls basketball team finally made the playoffs. However, one of the games they were to play was scheduled during a day of fasting according to their religion, no food or water for the day. They tried to work with the organizers on scheduling the game on another day but the organizers would not budge. The girls had three choices. Play the game while sticking to the fast and putting their life at risk, play the game and give up on their religious faith, or not play at all. They contacted the other team. On the day of the game, the team met their opponent in uniform, greeted and shook their hands, then walked away from the game to observe their fast. Some things are more important than a game, something people need to keep in mind on Sunday during football season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
An Orthodox Jewish school's girls basketball team finally made the playoffs. However, one of the games they were to play was scheduled during a day of fasting according to their religion, no food or water for the day. They tried to work with the organizers on scheduling the game on another day but the organizers would not budge. The girls had three choices. Play the game while sticking to the fast and putting their life at risk, play the game and give up on their religious faith, or not play at all. They contacted the other team. On the day of the game, the team met their opponent in uniform, greeted and shook their hands, then walked away from the game to observe their fast. Some things are more important than a game, something people need to keep in mind on Sunday during football season.
Quite commendable, but these ladies will be applauded by all and sundry, the liberal kemosabes in particular.

Simply because many influential Jewish people happen to own and sign their paycheques across America "Mazel Tov, boss, I'm a good dog, throw me a heavier bone? Mortgages are killing me"

If this were a pack of christian women, they are fundie rednecks.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 02-27-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,047,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Quite commendable, but these ladies will be applauded by all and sundry, the liberal kemosabes in particular.

Simply because many influential Jewish people happen to own and sign their paycheques across America "Mazel Tov, boss, I'm a good dog, throw me a heavier bone? Mortgages are killing me"

so folks are going to think it is good simply because Jews sign their paychecks???? Sounds bigoted to me. What the heck does this have to do with anything??? Why do you need to use this as an excuse to attack Jewish people??

Its good because they stuck to their values and folks ought to commend it for that reason not because a Jew signs their paycheck.

I doubt if a Christian team decided to honor the Sabbath and not play they would be called "fundie rednecks". They too would be sticking up for their values.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,177,861 times
Quote:

Orthodox Jews are just Fundamentalist Christian Lites.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM

957 posts, read 1,135,002 times
Quote:
Rivals High - Team forfeits playoff game due to religious fast The girls had three choices. Play the game while sticking to the fast and putting their life at risk,
really?what do you mean?isn't that an hyperbole?

btw I think religion in its core should teach you the moral of what's wrong and what's right , regardless of when you do something , as it seems to be in this case.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,670,726 times
Quote:

I'm not surprised to see anti-Semitic rants here, especially from you, but it is disheartening.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,568,433 times
Quote:
So, Judaisers, don't let the side down.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm not surprised to see anti-Semitic rants here, especially from you, but it is disheartening.
I was waiting like a hound as to who will hurl the first anti-semitic card. And here goes You fellas live up to your reputation.

Please...........

I was only merely mooting that the liberal population which has infested the media and other public forms of life adopts double standards while appreciating Jewish religious sentiments whereas feels very comfortable to lash out at the christian equivalent.

Answer, cowardice and lack of integrity, driven by fear of who has a very powerful hand in the media, Hollywood, corporate America and politics.

Nothing to do with anti-semitism. Yet you are here. If you'd browsed across politics and controversies here on C/D, you'd know the vehement pro-Jewish hawk that I tend to be (when I used to live in the East in my rowdy teens, I used to wear the star of David armband to simply irritate the muslims in the neighborhood who used to hand out anti-Israeli pamphlets. They still know me for that single habit). So, it's unfortunate. But it's no surprise that you guys come around with the victim mentality. It's a common attribute, anyway.

There's an old Eastern proverb:

For the scared, anything dark is the devil. On more humourous terms, for the thief, anyone uniformed is a cop

Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,942,300 times
Ignore lists are awesome.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Ignore lists are awesome.
They really aren't if you're craving to know what the other one is posting and hit "view post".

Come on, coos, you're smarter than that

Try not to hit that on this one, LMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism