Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,292,063 times

Advertisements

Browsing through the job sites today...and one thing I've been noticing is that in quite a few listings, the employer is demandin....I mean requesting the applicant send salary history and requirements. I've even seen a good number of listings stating that responses without salary requirements will be deleted. What's the deal? Anybody else notice this? It seems like companies are trying to find ways to cut corners and find cheap labor. Oh and what's with employers asking that an applicant... "must be willing to work in a high-stress environment"? Who the hell wants to work in a high-stress environment...that ain't even logical. Okay rant over, lol...but seriously am I just seeing things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
I really hate this "submit salary requirement/history" nonsense. Why doesn't the company just list the salary that they are offering on the announcement? Why pigeon-hole candidates without giving us information about what salary would be offered? That would save candidates and the company time in the recruitment process if the employer was more upfront about salary.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Almost every job I apply to requires it. If not, then the pre-interview phone call asks for it. At which point I get told that they can't offer that much.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
There were a few positions within a large organization that I applied to this year. Although they were offering less than what my part-time hourly rate, the pay would have been more as I am not getting many hours nor benefits. Although I have repeatedly communicated with them my desire to work for their organization, I know that I am being screened out based upon my hourly rate during my part-time assignments. Since I don't earn a consistent monthly or annual rate, I could only list the hourly rate but I always indicate the number of hours I work per week. *sigh* I guess it isn't meant to be but it is frustrating nevertheless.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
There were a few positions within a large organization that I applied to this year. Although they were offering less than what my part-time hourly rate, the pay would have been more as I am not getting many hours nor benefits. Although I have repeatedly communicated with them my desire to work for their organization, I know that I am being screened out based upon my hourly rate during my part-time assignments. Since I don't earn a consistent monthly or annual rate, I could only list the hourly rate but I always indicate the number of hours I work per week. *sigh* I guess it isn't meant to be but it is frustrating nevertheless.
Lie. Do whatever it takes to keep you from getting screened out. Worst case is that they find out and don't hire you. This is very unlikely though.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
The other thing I have noticed is if they put the salary, it's $10-12 an hour. What kind of wages are these for skilled workers? I was making THAT in 1991.

I suppose the best answer is avoid the boards, network with people, and send out resumes targeting your industry. Or date a CEO, or become the CEO..

Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,947,046 times
Yes, that drives me nuts. Especially b/c compensation includes way more than just salary.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,947,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Oh and what's with employers asking that an applicant... "must be willing to work in a high-stress environment"? Who the hell wants to work in a high-stress environment...that ain't even logical. Okay rant over, lol...but seriously am I just seeing things
I have definitely noticed this. I saw an ad where they described their ideal candidate as someone who loves working in a high-stress environment, willing to work 60+ hours, etc. And the job descriptions are insane. The duties go on and on and on. There's no possible way you could do all they want done in a 12 hour day. I'm also seeing a lot of salaried jobs as opposed to hourly. Personally, I've always preferred hourly wages.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
. Personally, I've always preferred hourly wages.
It much easier to give you a pay cut when you are hourly than salaried. All they need to do is cut your hours. The job I am in right now limits me to 36.5 a week.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I really hate this "submit salary requirement/history" nonsense. Why doesn't the company just list the salary that they are offering on the announcement? Why pigeon-hole candidates without giving us information about what salary would be offered? That would save candidates and the company time in the recruitment process if the employer was more upfront about salary.

Not necessarily that they are trying to pigeon hole a candidate. Oftentimes, a salary may tell the true reality of what the employee did.

I.e. I say I am a "project manager" because at my company I organized the Christmas party and organized the installation of a new phone line at someone's desk. My salary is 30k a year--this would point that even if my title had been project manager it is doubtful that I was really performing at a certain level.

Also, a company may want to know if you are way too qualified for the role and if your expectations are way above their dollar threshold.

It is not all for naught. A friend of mine was getting paid 46k. Granted, she got a bonus and some other benefits, but her base was 46k. When she was hired at the new company (and they did ask for salary history) her offer was in the upper 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search