Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

304 posts, read 745,023 times

Advertisements

I have a resume and work history that is so crappy I think I would fare better if I had a just graduated from high school! Bear with me....

I am 36, B.A. from an excellent college. After that, down the drain. I started my professional life in a law office because I was planning law school. Skip ahead to after I had my son, and I got involved in social work and did that for a year. After that, the needs of my son, now 10, who has disabilities became so great that I couldnt really work for a while, about a year or two. Then I went back to work again for about a year, then took 2 more off due to caring for my son, etc. This went on until last year. So basically between 1999 and now I have about 4 jobs on my resume, 3 are social work "related" and one is teaching, my last job. Each has at least a year between and worse, at different organizations for only about a year each. It looks like the classic loser resume. The only thing I think that has ever gotten me hired the past few years has been my education and GPA.

So, my problem is that I have a horrible resume that I cannot possibly expect to get a second glance from anyone hiring. It has everthing you dont want in it - short terms of employment, different companies each time, and large gaps. How can I re - tailor it to seems decent? I know I could make it the non chronological type so at least upon first glance people wont know about the gaps, but then do I sitll have to state length of employment? I have no statement to put at the top due to the varying employment, makes me look like Im not good at any one thing. And how do I explain to people that I have a child with special needs and thats why I have such gaps? Its such a shame because I am good at things, my education is solid, etc, but Im like someone with no experience due to the crappiness of my work history.

This has led me to consider getting a real estate license or something QUICK like that and starting fresh work wise. Career wise I need a masters and am thinking of a MS in nutrition due to my love of natural health and nutrition.

Anyone have any advice for this labor-loser??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I have a pretty skechy resume since 1998 because I was a stay at home mom once my son was born.

The only job I have on now is my temp job I did up here from March 2008-August 2009.

What you have to do is be proud of what work you did and try not to apologize or focus on 'negatives.' Even though 'it pays nothing' and society doesn't value the stay at home mom, you are NOT a loser.

I would do a resume based on your skills. Google a book on resumes and get it and study it.

Good luck. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to be a parent (the one who has to care for the child) and have a worthwhile career.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Have you considered running your own business? This would give you flexibility and freedom to be there for your son.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 03-02-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Gypsy: Thank you for the positivity! I dont actually consider myself a loser, I should have put that in quotations, I think by corporate america my resume looks like Im a "loser". I am very proud of the hard work Ive done with my son and I wouldnt trade that for a career. People dont understand what raising this kind of kid looks like and why someone may have gaps. I will search for a skill based resume book and do that. Thank you!

iwonderwhy2124: I wouldn LOVE my own business, that would be ideal for me. I am considering the masters in nutrition because that would lead to my own business, but I do have other ideas that may be more immediate. I think I may be overanalyzing that, but starting a business seems daunting. I dont know how to, for instance, find a shipper or a manufacturer if I were to sell something I made such a jewelry, ; I dont know how to raise capital and I am dont have very good credit to get a small business loan. I am always strangely mystified by those who tell their business stories, you always hear "oh I always loved clothing so I started up my own company" and boom they have a business. How do you find out about the details?

p.s., I mean to say, I have of course researched things online and at the library and gotten info on certain aspects of owning a business such as business plan, overviews of financing, marketing, etc. and I understand those aspects. Its things a bit more particular, things it seems may only come from talking to others, that I have not yet encountered much info on, such as how to leap into a business without much prior knowledge like a bookstore, restraurant, or again something I often think of, jewelry. I haver heard of make up entrpreneurs who know the "inside scoop" on how they found their manufacturers and got them to make the first batch free so they could get started etc - its that aspect that I wish I knew more about.

Last edited by changeyourthoughts; 03-02-2010 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added p.s.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
I ran my own business. It wasn't rocket science.

I found something that I was good at. Then I figured out a way to offer said particular service while keeping my costs low - i.e. I made a profit. Then I got a fictitious name filed with the state so that people could write checks to my business. Then I declared taxes to the local, state, and federal governments (I ran a sole proprietership). You might want to look into declaring a corporation because that makes your personal estate immune from liability issues in regards to your business. If you need money to start the business then go to a bank and see what they say. You just have to get out there, ask questions, take notes, and make things happen.

The hardest part is finding something you are good at, that you want to do, and that you can make a profit off of.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I would list 'caregiver' as a job on your resume. It was a full-time job, was it not? Just because you didn't get benefits or wages doesn't mean it wasn't a job.

A skills-based resume may work for you too.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:26 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
kodaka is right. The bulk of your resume should be your qualities/skills - what I call experience. Put your employment on the bottom, by education. On a pad list all the qualities that are related to / required for social work, caregiving, and teaching, you've got all those. Your resume, under objective, could say

EXPERIENCE
Caregiving
- for x amount of years, I ....
Social Work
-
Teaching
-

You have to list the qualities / things you did, not just a job description. Say what made you stand out (even if you were at home). Write it so that your new employer thinks "wow, she really makes the client/student feel special" or "she really gives them what they need to grow." Here's another way to look at it - if you are looking for a caregiver / social work job, think of yourself as the person needing care, and think what you would want the resume to say of the person who's going to care for you.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Its not that your a loser...its just that you don't show commitment (for good reasons) plus when they hear about your son they hear days off you'll need on the job. The real problem for you is that you need to expand your network so people can see "YOU" and not your resume....

Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you all SO much, you have excellent advice. Zippy, exactly. NJDevil, excellent idea for my resume, Kodaka as well. Thanks very much to everyone who replied to me! Things are clearer now.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
I have a resume and work history that is so crappy I think I would fare better if I had a just graduated from high school! Bear with me....

I am 36, B.A. from an excellent college. After that, down the drain. I started my professional life in a law office because I was planning law school. Skip ahead to after I had my son, and I got involved in social work and did that for a year. After that, the needs of my son, now 10, who has disabilities became so great that I couldnt really work for a while, about a year or two. Then I went back to work again for about a year, then took 2 more off due to caring for my son, etc. This went on until last year. So basically between 1999 and now I have about 4 jobs on my resume, 3 are social work "related" and one is teaching, my last job. Each has at least a year between and worse, at different organizations for only about a year each. It looks like the classic loser resume. The only thing I think that has ever gotten me hired the past few years has been my education and GPA.

So, my problem is that I have a horrible resume that I cannot possibly expect to get a second glance from anyone hiring. It has everthing you dont want in it - short terms of employment, different companies each time, and large gaps. How can I re - tailor it to seems decent? I know I could make it the non chronological type so at least upon first glance people wont know about the gaps, but then do I sitll have to state length of employment? I have no statement to put at the top due to the varying employment, makes me look like Im not good at any one thing. And how do I explain to people that I have a child with special needs and thats why I have such gaps? Its such a shame because I am good at things, my education is solid, etc, but Im like someone with no experience due to the crappiness of my work history.

This has led me to consider getting a real estate license or something QUICK like that and starting fresh work wise. Career wise I need a masters and am thinking of a MS in nutrition due to my love of natural health and nutrition.

Anyone have any advice for this labor-loser??

I was a hiring manager in the past. Based on what you say your resume looks like I'd never call you if I saw it. I can see why you don't get a second look. However, after reading your story things fall into line and it makes more sense as to why it looks the way it does. Why not try including a detailed cover letter explaining your situation in detail with each resume submission? I'd make a 2 page word doc with the cover and resume and always submit them together so you know they'll both be seen.

Good luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search