Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 20,044 times

Advertisements

As I sat down in the conference room for my latest interview I was shocked the questions that my potential manager was asking me. They were more personal than professional. They included:

Have you been to this side of town before?
What do you think of our offices?
Are you from the area? Where did you grow up?
What do you like to do on weekends?
Who do you expect to be in this years Super Bowl?
The weather has been cold this winter hasn't it?

I was shocked. I come to my job to work and do not expect to make any small talk or personal conversation with my boss or coworkers, so why should I have to answer all these silly questions?

Yes after ten minutes of this foolishness I was asked some questions about my talents, education and experience but it seemed like the small talk lasted forever.

What do you recommend I do next time a potential employer asks me questions about things that are not job related and gets into mindless chit chat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
These people have to work with you for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. They want to make sure they can get along with the person hired. Same thing happens at my company.

Quote:
What do you recommend I do next time a potential employer asks me questions about things that are not job related and gets into mindless chit chat?
Crawl out from under your rock, shut off World of Warcraft, and reconnect with the real world...?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Hi Weekend Traveler!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Hi Weekend Traveler!
Haha sure sounds like him/her/it.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Answer their questions.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What's wrong with those questions? In fact, the employer was probably doing (normal) people a favor by trying to put the applicant at ease. It also allows the employer to assess your interpersonal skills. Maybe he figures the applicant can be trained on hard skills but if the applicant is a stiff dud who doesn't blend and who isn't engaging, then the employer might want to find someone else.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I was part of the interview process at my last job. We would always ask questions like that before the official interview started. Gave the person a chance to relax a little bit and talk. We would have to sit beside this individual for 8 hours a day if they got the job and we wanted it to be someone who would blend in with the team.

I think the small talk part was the most important to be honest. We already had the resume in hand, we knew the technical side, we wanted to know the personal side as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's wrong with those questions? In fact, the employer was probably doing (normal) people a favor by trying to put the applicant at ease. It also allows the employer to assess your interpersonal skills. Maybe he figures the applicant can be trained on hard skills but if the applicant is a stiff dud who doesn't blend and who isn't engaging, then the employer might want to find someone else.
I totally agree. It's a shame that most of the interviews I've gone on were formalized with no small talk built in. Since good interpersonal skills is essential in my field, the interviewers miss a golden opportunity to assess these by just jumping into the standardized questions.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Haha sure sounds like him/her/it.
Yep and the troll posts are getting more bizarre with each one.

You have to wonder where their teeny brain comes up with these scenarios.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM

233 posts, read 743,825 times
those questions aren't that bad, maybe he is just trying to get to know you? if you don't like being social then just play the part if you really want the job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search