Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times

Advertisements

Do companies look at College Transcripts for employees and those interviewed? I'm wondering because my college record was marred by my 2nd, 3rd, and Senior Design class. 2nd Semester - did bad because I was overloaded by my courses and I lacked sleep to learn well. I thought I could be like other students who studied late or put out all nighters but man that's not me / I need sleep. Fell asleep in class once...

3rd semester - had a fight with my roomate as he alway kept the door unlocked so I suspected if other people got in to steal my tapes... He lunged at me so I punched him back but oh no they send me to overnight prison, kick me out of the dorm, and I miss 3 hourly exams so I in the end I flunked out of UIUC. Had to redo my courses at Wright College, then came back to UIUC.

My 3rd & 4th years - I did excellent and I designed great projects for my engineering classes. But Sr Design class was a tragedy as my project partners found out I crossdress and they tried to blackmail me into doing all the project work but I didn't so I got a suffering terrible C grade which I don't deserve as I am an ingenious problem solver. Years later I go to some interviews at companies like GE Medical but then a guy there says "I'm dumb..." Maybe he looked at my Sr Design class grade which I don't deserve or maybe he only thinks White guys are the only capable engineers... [He was white].

So now I wonder if my college transcripts hurt me... What your experience with your's? What do you know about company policies and procedure with college transcripts?

Last edited by Jesse69; 08-24-2009 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Do companies look at College Transcripts for employees and those interviewed? I'm wondering because my college record was marred by my 2nd, 3rd, and Senior Design class. 2nd Semester - did bad because I was overloaded by my courses and lacked sleep to learn well. I thought I could be like other students who study late but man that's not me / I need sleep. Fell asleep in class once...

3rd semester - had a fight with my roomate as he alway kept the door unlocked so I suspected if other people got in to steal my tapes... He lunged at me so I punched him back but oh no they send me to overnight prison, kick me out of the dorm, and I miss 3 hourly exams so I in end flunked out of UIUC. Had to redo my courses at Wright College.

My 3rd & 4th years - I did excellent and I designed great projects for my engineering classes. But Sr Design class was a tragedy as my project partners found out I crossdress and they tried to blackmail me into doing all the project work but I didn't so I got a suffering terrible C grade which I don't deserve as I am an ingenious problem solver. Years later I go to some interviews at companies like GE Medical but then a guy there says "I'm dumb..." Maybe he looked at my Sr Design class grade which I don't deserve or maybe he only thinks White guys are capable engineers... [He was white].

So now I wonder if my college transcripts hurt me... What your experience with your's? What do you know about company policies and procedure with college transcripts?
I graduated EE with a very low GPA. I got hired by a major aerospace company. Several years later I was accepted into a very good engineering graduate school because I had really high GRE scores and I had earned As in two required classes before I enrolled (they let you take classes before you are accepted). This despite my low undergrad.

Bottom line: What difference does it make? Apply to jobs, if they look, they look. If you don't get the job because of bad grades, then you don't get the job. Grades won't make too much difference once your career is underway anyway.

Here's another way of looking at it Mr. Efficient Engineer: My motto in undergrad was if I earned a B or an A, then I was wasting time. I could have gotten by with a C. If the customer requires a car that goes 50MPH and you build one that goes 70MPH then you put too much into it. A good requirement is necessary and sufficient. A C is sufficient. I got Cs and I had plenty of time to party.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Charles - are you a white guy and what college did you graduate from?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Charles - are you a white guy and what college did you graduate from?
Yes.
CSUN, 1986, BS Electrical Engineering
UCSB 1996, MS Computer Engineering
California Lutheran University 1999, MBA

Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM

147 posts, read 316,308 times
What is your overall college GPA? What is your GPA within your major? Employers are more likely to care about the big picture. A few C's here and there shouldn't hurt too much but for new grads, it is best to graduate with a 3.0 or higher. Most employers that have GPA requirements have a 3.0 as a cutoff-it is there simply to weed out applicants.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
Depends, for some industries GPA does matter for certain jobs. They usually ask what it was on your application.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDragon View Post
What is your overall college GPA? What is your GPA within your major? Employers are more likely to care about the big picture. A few C's here and there shouldn't hurt too much but for new grads, it is best to graduate with a 3.0 or higher. Most employers that have GPA requirements have a 3.0 as a cutoff-it is there simply to weed out applicants.
Any reason for resurrecting a 5 year-old thread????

Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
The way you interview and present yourself are far more important.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM

147 posts, read 316,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Oops. Didn't realize it was a 5 year old thread.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:05 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
The OP probably has a 6 figure job right now, asking for other students transcripts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search